Search for content in message boards

SATTIS CEMETERY, North of Charleston, WV - WHO HOLDS RECORDS?

SATTIS CEMETERY, North of Charleston, WV - WHO HOLDS RECORDS?

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 3:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Have two unanswered questions.
1. Who maintains the cemetery records for Sattis Cemetery now and how do I reach that office?
2. What newspaper would have been used for a death near Charleston, in Kanawha County, WV, in 1936? Decedent's name (grandfather) was George Frank WILSON, b 1897, d 9 Feb 1936. Died in work-related accident and was probably in the newspaper as an article as well as the usual obit. Many thanks for the push.

Re: SATTIS CEMETERY, North of Charleston, WV - WHO HOLDS RECORDS?

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 3:54PM GMT
Can't help you with Sattis Cemetery, you will need to find someone familiar with it. Most of the cemeteries do not have official caretakers and there is no state or local registry.

For 1936 Charleston, Charleston Daily Mail and Charleston Gazette. You can request searches for articles and obits through our Library if you are unable to visit yourself. Info on research request at http://www.wvculture.org/history/services.html#research. You may view lists of newspapers available on microfilm at the WV Archives and History Library at http://www.wvculture.org/history/newspapers/newsmic.html.

Susan Scouras
Librarian
WV Archives and History Library
The Culture Center
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305-0300
(304) 558-0230, Ext. 742

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2012 2:02AM GMT
I have a list of Sattis Cemetery on Kanawha Two-Mile. What name are you looking for?

Re: SATTIS CEMETERY, North of Charleston, WV - Geo. F. WILSON

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 12:46PM GMT
Surnames: WILSON, YOUNG
I am particularly interested in finding out where our grandfather is buried there.

Decedent's name (grandfather) was George Frank WILSON, b 1897, d 9 Feb 1936. He was apparently married to Evelyn L. YOUNG (his 2nd marriage), whose place of burial is also a mystery. (Evelyn remarried but I think that her second marriage did not last. We, therefore, do not know what surname she had at her time of death or if she's in Sattis Cemetery at all.)

Also would be interested to know if he and his second wife Evelyn L. YOUNG had any children. I believe they were married in Norfok, Virginia. George WILSON died in Kanawha County WV while there from Norfolk VA visiting his wife's family. It appears he may have been attempting to take gasoline from a gas tanker when he fell into it one Sunday night. Very sad picture. Those were tough times.

Is that listing you have something you could send to me?

Many thanks for any help at all, Mary Wilson in PA (stella33@verizon.net)

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 7:11AM GMT
I know this post isn't meant for me, but I too have been looking for family members who are supposed to be there. How can I get a copy of that list? I have a Facebook acct if that helps. My surname is Parrish.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 1:05PM GMT
The only parrish I have found so far in my research of the Sattes Cemetery is:
Lester R. Parrish
9/1/1895 - 5/24/1954
s/o Thomas Floyd Parrish & Clara Dean Harmon
h/o Goldie Asbury
Married Kanawha Co., WV 7/31/1920 in Charleston

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 5:57AM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2012 5:59AM GMT
That is my relative! Would you happen to know about the location of the grave? We have been there and it is so grown up, we were unable to find it.We are going back as soon as the weather is better and try to clean a lot of it up. I am also looking for a baby, Ruth Evelyn Parrish. Thank you so much for posting all of the information.

Posted: 22 May 2013 6:37AM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2013 6:39AM GMT
To my knowledge, the court house should have records. Here is some history on the cemetery and surrounding property. The Sattis Cemetery use to be the Chandler Family Cemetery as it was owned by a close friend of mine's great grand-father. That is why Orchard Manor in Charleston is called that because the property used to be used as an apple orchard until the property was taken by the county during the Great Depression. I am not sure if anyone if a private individual owns it now or if the county does. If it is owned by the county, it would be Kanawha County and the records of who is buried there should be in the Charleston Court House. I know that my close friend was asked by his aunt if he wanted to be the caretaker and at the time, he was not able to take care of the property.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Miller
Hi, I am replying to an old post (2012) but I see you have a list of those buried at Sattes Cemetery in Kanawha County, WV. My great grandfather Charles R. Miller 1872-1938 is listed as buried there, per his death certificate. Wondering if by chance he is listed on the records you have, and if you have any info about it. Thanks for your help, Nancy S

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Miller
Hi, I am replying to an old post (2012) but I see you have a list of those buried at Sattes Cemetery in Kanawha County, WV. My great grandfather Charles R. Miller 1872-1938 is listed as buried there, per his death certificate. Wondering if by chance he is listed on the records you have, and if you have any info about it. Thanks for your help, Nancy S
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions