Search for content in message boards

Blitchendon/Blitchington research notes

Blitchendon/Blitchington research notes

Posted: 26 Jan 2007 10:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blitchendon/Blitchington/ Dykes/Hurst
I am researching the Blitchendon/Blitchington surname in early Barnwell Co., SC and Orangeburgh Dist. SC.
I have not yet found a connection to my ancestor, but am collecting information trying to find a clue.
I would like to share what I have found for anyone else who is researching this family and hope to hear from anyone who finds new info.
Thank you.
Pat Vause, Daytona Beach, Florida
Land Records SC archives:
William Blitchendon to John Fisher 1770
" " 1774 land grant for 100 acres in Colleton Co.
Date: 1785/02/27

Description: BLITCHENDEN, WILLIAM, PLAT FOR 640 ACRES ON MILL BRANCH, ORANGEBURGH DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY GASPER TROTTI.
Many more Blitchendon land records that I did not copy. They can be researched on the SC Archives website.

From the SC Archives Website:
Will of John Blitchendon 1803 Barnwell Dist. SC 9/28/1803
William Blitchendon

Date: 1803/09/28

Description: BLITCHENDON, JOHN OF BARNWELL DISTRICT, WILL TYPESCRIPT (MSS WILL: BOOK A, PAGE 59; ESTATE PACKET: BDL 6, PKG 11) (2 FRAMES).

Names Indexed: BLITCHENDON, JOHN/HICKMAN, JOHN/DAY, HENNY/DRAPER, THOMAS/HICKMAN, REBECKA/DAY, MARY/TYLER, ANNA/BLALOCK, SARAH/BLITCHENDON, WILLIAM/HICKMAN, THOMAS/HICKMAN, ELIZABETH/HICKMAN, ANNA

1790 census Orangeburgh Dist, SC
Wm Blitchendon, 2 males over 16, 2 males under 16 4 females over 16 ( free, white)
John Blitchendon 1 male over 16 2 females over 16 ( free-white)

1800 census Orangeburgh Dist , ( or Barnwell?) SC
William Blitchenden Males 2 under 10, 1 (?) age 10-15. 2 age 16-25, 1 age 26-44
Females 1 under 10, 3(?) age 10-15, 1 age 26-44
Abraham Blitchenden Males: 1 under 10, 1 age 16-25
Females 1 age 26-44
A second William Blitchendon popped up in the 1800 census , Orangeburgh Dist. SC ... need to research age, etc.

1810 census, Barnwell Co., SC
Blech, Abraham ( actual spelling) males: 1- age 16-25, 1 26-44: females 1, 26-44
Blitchendon, William males 1 male age 10-15, 3 males age 16-25, 1 age 44-up: females, 1 age 26-44

1820 census, Barnwell Co. SC , 4A John ? or William? Blitchington 2 males under 16, 2 males age 16-26, 1 male 45-up Females: under 10 - 3, 1 each, 16, 26, 45, and up

Alternative Spellings: BLICHINTON, WILLIAM/Blechendon, Blechenton, Blitchington, Blitchendon, Blech

Early Colonial Perquimans County NC Records
1729 "Quit Rent" Perquimans Co.
Thos. Bluhenton
1720 tax lists Perquimans Co.
Thos. Blitchendon

Perquiman Co., NC militia lists of Colonial Soldiers of the South, 1732-1774 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1983), pp. 741-747]
Abraham Blechenten, William Blihkenden

Elias Stallings Constables List / August the 25th Day 1745 Perquimans, NC , poll tax
William , John, and Abraham Blitchenton

Tax List 1740, Perquimans Co., NC
Thos. Blechenton,3
John Blechenton, 1

1739 lists of Juryman, Perquimans Co.
Thos. Blechenton
John Blechenton
1748 tax list Elias Stallings
Blitchendon, John, William, Abraham
1750 Perqus. County / A List of Tythables Taken by me James Sitteson
Blitchendon, William, John, Abraham

Blitchendon family appears to be removed from Perquimans county after abt. 1750

Re: Blitchendon/Blitchington research notes

Posted: 9 Aug 2007 7:31PM GMT
Hi there,
I am new to this and was trying to research my maiden name, which is Blitchington. I am in Augusta, GA. Can you tell me anything, in how to even begin? It would be great to know.
Thank you,
AJ

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 11:49PM GMT
Hi Pat,

Other researchers feel that there is a strong connection between the Blitchendon and Padgett families in the 1700's.

Regarding the will of William Patchit (Padgett) dated August 20, 1768 in Colleton County, South Carolina. John Blitchendan is listed as a witness to the will.

The Padgett's were in Barnwell County, South Carolina in the early 1800's.

Early Colonial Records - Jury duty for the General Court House at Queen Ann's Creek in Chowan Precinct, North Carolina on March 31, 1720. Listed for jury duty are Thomas Blitchenden and Samuel Pagett(Padgett).

Would you have any documents where the Blitchendon and Padgett families were together?

I am willing to share what I have on the Blitchendon family.

I live in the Orlando, Florida area and can be reached at
dpadgettolneyfla@mindspring.com

Warm regards,

Dennis Padgett

Posted: 4 Sep 2007 12:43PM GMT
Hello,
I have a file of research notes from another Blitchendon/Blitchington descendant that gives some information on the connection between the Blitchendon and Padget families. The following is copies from these notes.
Sarah Blitchendon, b 1/14/1716 or 1717 listed in will of Thomas Blitchendon, m. Wm Padget, Bladen, NC and died 1790, Swinton, Sumter Dist. SC. ( Ancestry.com) Wm. Padget was the son of Margaret , dau. of Nicholas Tyner ("Descendants of Nicholas Tyner of Isle of Wight, Va"). Sarah and William Padget had the following 7 children:
William 1740-1800 ( Ancestry.com)
Samuel 1741-82 "
Elijah 1747-97
Josiah 1750-1811
Joseph Joel 1751-1800
Jacob 1756-1815
Job 1760-1837
The compiler of this data lives in Panama City, Fl. I will send you his name and email address if you contact me directly at vaus4511@bellsouth.net.
I hope this will help you find the connection to your Padgett family.
Pat in Daytona Beach

Posted: 4 Sep 2007 12:52PM GMT
Hello,
Thank you for the message. I am excited to be exchanging information with a Blitchington descendant!
That's great that you are interested in tracing your family history. Since I know that you are using a computer I recommend that you use a genealogy program to help organize information. I personally use Personal Ancestral File or PAF which can be downloaded for free from the LDS site www.familysearch.org. It will help you keep family groups and pedigree so that you can quickly refer to them. They also have information for beginners that will help. Rootsweb also is a great site to use.
Begin by recording what you know about your family and working your way back generation by generation. The US Census records are very valuable. Have you been in an LDS Family Center? There is probably one near where you live. If you need help finding one I will be glad to assist.
Good Hunting and I you will find as much joy as I have in tracing your family.
Pat

Posted: 4 Sep 2007 2:41PM GMT
Hello,
Thank you for the message. I am excited to be exchanging information with a Blitchington descendant!
That's great that you are interested in tracing your family history. Since I know that you are using a computer I recommend that you use a genealogy program to help organize information. I personally use Personal Ancestral File or PAF which can be downloaded for free from the LDS site www.familysearch.org. It will help you keep family groups and pedigree so that you can quickly refer to them. They also have information for beginners that will help. Rootsweb also is a great site to use.
Begin by recording what you know about your family and working your way back generation by generation. The US Census records are very valuable. Have you been in an LDS Family Center? There is probably one near where you live. If you need help finding one I will be glad to assist.
Good Hunting and I you will find as much joy as I have in tracing your family.
Pat

Posted: 5 Sep 2007 2:28AM GMT
Surnames: Blitchington
Hello- I am Michelle Blitchington and I was born in Augusta, GA in 1982. I wonder if we are related? That's kind of neat : ) I was born to Mickey Blitchington- he passed away in 1991...his mom's name was Lorraine Cox from Aiken, SC...she has since passed as well. Sound familiar? If so, let me know! Michelle82@comcast.net

Posted: 3 Oct 2007 6:47PM GMT
Hi there,
Thank you for the link. I just tried it, but am not totally understanding it.
Thanks very much.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions