Search for content in message boards

Blakely Home and Hospital - Scott Township

Blakely Home and Hospital - Scott Township

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 12:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HOWEY
According to the 1930 census for Lacakwanna County, Mandy (Amanda) HOWEY was a guest of the Blakely Home and Hospital located in Scott Township. Using obituaries for other family memebers, I've determined that Amanda died in the Scranton area between 1933-1935. Whether Amanda died while at this facility is unknown. Does the Blakely Home still exist; and if it no longer is in operation, does anyone know what might have become of its records? I'm trying to determine Amanda Howey's actual death date.

Ben Kimminour
Bethlehem, PA

Re: Blakely Home and Hospital - Scott Township

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Biography
There was a Blakely Poor Farm in Scott Township

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 11:18AM GMT
Barbara,

Thanks for the heads up on the poor farm. The census says Blakely Home and Hospital so I don't really know if they're one in the same. Some of the guests are listed as insane and others are as paupers. It sounds as though it could very well be the same institution.

Ben Kimminour
Bethlehem, PA

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 7:42PM GMT
Hello.
How did you bring up the Blakely Home and Hospital? Is there a site that gives the history and list of persons who lived there ? Was it used as a orphange in the 1850's?

Thanks, Susan

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 11:14AM GMT
Susan,

Patients at the Blakely Home and Hospital are enumerated on the 1930 census for Lackawanna County, Scott Twp., District 191. I found this listing while looking for Mandy Howey. Type Mandy Howey in the census search field. It's only a census listing. I haven't found any online references to this facility.

Ben Kimminour
Bethlehem, PA

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 5:30PM GMT
thank You. Susan

Posted: 1 Sep 2011 1:12AM GMT
My paternal ggf was also listed on the 1930 census for this facility. He is listed as a pauper. This is the only relevant online reference I can find at this time:
http://pennsylvania.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc...

Posted: 9 Nov 2011 9:36PM GMT
There's a TV series that can be watched on NetFlix called The Haunted, Season 1 episode 2 outlining the history of the Blakely Home as an insane asylum from 1919-1950

Posted: 19 Dec 2011 1:42PM GMT
I Only live 1 mile away from that location It is now called Calvert Laboratories Inc
130 Discovery Drive
Scott Township, PA 18447-9600
(570) 585-2300
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Mar 2012 3:52AM GMT
I don't know how much help i will be on this subject but it did catch my eye reading your post after watching about it on A Haunting... as far as i know the building is exactly what you think it is... an old insane asylum in which many people who were there committed suicide. It is now owned by a computer company or atleast last i know it was. You could see a local historian about the records hope that i was of some help. seriously haunted though... 33 false alarm trips in 1 year. all times cops have responded there has been nothing so they just turned it off. weird..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic