Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014 will not run with Windows 7

FTM 2014 will not run with Windows 7

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 1:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
The only way I can run FTM 2014 is on a computer with XP. I have the same problem on my new laptop running Windows 7. So my research has to be done on FTM 2012 on that computer. I can not create a gedcom of break down my tree to a the limited size you can upload or sync to Ancestory since buying FTM 2012. When I want to update my tree on line I have to take my tree to the other computer with XP and FTM 2014 and convert to 2014 and then that program is capable of breaking the tree down to the very limited size allowed to be streamed to Ancestory. In total size my tree built in all the FTM versions became to big a few years back for this process. Now it's about ten time larger in total file size. I have over 136,000 people in the tree and I have to break it down to around 78,000 people WITHOUT any facts or media. It would sync if I worked on that chiseled down tree, but I do not see the purpose of that.
Now I see that the only way I can use FTM 2014 is with XP and now in OCT it's suppose to stop working?
I have not had a version that actually worked for about a decade. FTM 2014 was developed for people with large, and very large trees. Why was it not developed to work with Windows 7? I have spent days on the phone with the techs and they are basic beginners with computer technology.

Re: FTM 2014 will not run with Windows 7

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 5:23AM GMT
Steve,

Your post disturbs me. I am running the now useless (thankyou Acom) FTM2006 with around 1,000 people. I have purchased FTM2014 but haven't had the courage to install it yet. I am running Windows 7 on my laptop, IE11, Chrome. My computer is about 3 yrs old. I don't have a tree on-line.

I WAS planning on biting the bullet and upgrading to FTM2014 this weekend but now I may rethink that. I'm nearly computer illiterate so if something goes wrong, I'll be stuck big-time.

Please keep us posted with your issue/issues. And, good luck; I hope you can resolve problems.

Linda

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 8:47AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2014 8:47AM GMT
FTM 2006 will not stop working on your XP computer, all that will happen is that when you click the globe icon [Web search resources] under a person it will not automatically search the ancestry web site for records pertaining to that person. You will have to do it manually and then enter the info in the tree yourself. I have 2006 and 2014 installed on a desktop computer with XP and both work, and the same on a laptop with Windows 7.

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 11:06AM GMT
Linda

I am running FTM 2014 on Windows 7, IE 10, with about 7000 people and it runs fine.

Curt

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 12:15PM GMT
I run FTM 2014 on both Win 7 and Win 8.1 and they both run fine. I have over 11,000 people in my file.

Steve Reed

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 3:47PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2014 3:54PM GMT
After being forced from SuperCalc3A spreadsheets in the 1980s to Lotus Symphony spreadsheets in the 1990s, and then Symphony Spreadsheets to Windows Excel in the 2000s, I can certainly sympathize with you. Unfortunately time marches on in the world of software and the old is eventually tossed to the side of the road. (Even the old Appleworks from the 1980s on an Apple II did just about all a person ever wanted to do on a computer - word processor, database, and spreadsheet in one program.).

At any rate, you may wish to download the FTM2005 Starter Edition. See here:

http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3673/~/open...

If you don't make use of fact notes or have other differences with ancestry trees, you can also upload v16 to a tree and then

1) start up FTM2014
2) Go to Plan Workspace - New Tree
3) Choose to download an ancestry tree directly into that FTM2014 (without using a gedcom)

I run FTM2014 on Windows 7 with 70,000 persons with only the "normal" problems. (ie out-of-memory, occasional crashes, slow operation from time to time, etc)

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 4:00PM GMT
I last used FTM back in 2002 and my trees have not been touched since then. 3 days ago - I called about upgrading, I was advised to download FTM 2005 and it read and updated all my trees. I then purchased FTM 2014 and loaded all my trees again. My largest tree has 1900 people.

It works perfectly.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 4:24PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2014 4:25PM GMT
I happened to vaguely remember some details of migration from Version 16. Perhaps others having more recent experiences might have more details.

I think you will be pleased with the new facility for standardizing place names. It can also be used as a county finder, but be careful. There could be dozen townships and multiples cities and towns named Washington or Jefferson or Fremont, for example. The old fashioned county finders on the web are better for that purpose; or even try Wikipedia - which has disambiguation pages for multiple names of places in a state.

From what I remember, however, you will have a major project in front of you in fixing sources. I don't recall the specifics of the problems, but after you import into FTM, check your sources to see what, if anything, is mixed up. You might setup a test file to enter a person and facts and sources to see how the new format works. See how the Sources Workspace is setup and how it works. Then develop your conversion strategy for sources.

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 5:53PM GMT
I had two problems with sources when I upgraded from FTM 16 to FTM 2010. I am now on FTM 2014. The first problem was converting my sources to the FTM templates. This took considerable effort but I think it was worth it. My FTM 16 sources all were imported to 2014 using the basic template. It is not necessary to change them if you don’t want to.

The second problem was not really a problem. Like place names, I found that I had multiple names for some of my sources. I was able to consolidate them into one correct source. The way FTM 2014 handles sources makes it easy to make sure I locate and use the correct source name.

Curt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic