Search for content in message boards

Bicknese in Germany

Bicknese in Germany

Posted: 12 Feb 2000 11:38AM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2002 4:02PM GMT
I am looking for links connecting Christian H. Frederick Bicknese to Germany and would appreciate help. Details follow:

Christian H. Frederick Bicknese was born in or near Wolpe, Germany, west of Hanover, on 8 Dec 1816. His profession was a dyer of cloth. At the age of 22, in Hannover (Konigreich, Hamburgh), Germany, he was issued a Wanderbuch (translation "wander book"). (Letters written were from Leese and Wolpe). Both are about 20 miles northwest of Hannover. Konigreich is a suburb about 6 mi. sothwest of the center of Hamburgh). The Wanderbuch was a work passport that allowed him to travel from town to town throughout Germany to practice his trade. When he entered a new town he was required to sign in with the authorities. They would stamp the book and note his date and time of arrival. If he did not find work within 24 or 48 hours he had to be on his way. The Wanderbuch was good for three years, from Aug 1835 to 1838. His description listed him as follows: Age 22 years, 8 months, height 5 feet, 11 inches, stature slim, hair brown, small forehead, eyebrows light, nose sort of curved, ordinary mouth, good teeth, pointed chin, black beard, and a healthy color.

Christian came to the U.S. from Wolpe Germany in 1845 or 1846 and settled in Wilkes Barre, PA. It is possible his wife-to-be, Franziska (Frances), came from the same area at, or around the same time. They were married around 1848 in Wilkes Barre, PA. Christian was a coal miner in Wilkes Barre in the coal rich Wyoming Valley. They had the first two of 11 children there.

At the time of the 1850 Census, Christian, Frances and infant son Clement, had 3 German borders living with them. At least one of them was also a miner.

From the 1850 Federal Census:
Family # 8 of Wilkes-Barre Township, Luzerne Co., PA
Christian Bickness
Frances "
Clement "
Living with that same family unit were:
Heinrich Sanspier? 21 Miner b. Germany
Henry Lei**er
William Hackman

In 1852 the Bickneses moved to Dane County, WI where they farmed and had the next 8 of their children. The property records in Madison, WI indicate Christian (C.) and Franziska Bickness (spelled Bickness) owned 80 acres in Dane County, Springfield Township.

In 1867 they moved to Floyd County, IA where they farmed and had the last two of their children. They lived there until their deaths.

Christian's Middle name is listed as Frederick on family papers. However, his name is written "Christian H. Bicknese" on his tombstone. In the Pennsyvania 1850 Federal Census Index the name is spelled "Christian Bickness". In the Wisconsin 1860 Federal Census Index the name is spelled "Christian^ Bignese". In the Iowa 1870 Federal Census Index the name is spelled "Christian Bicknese".

Christian died 23 Jan 1899 in Floyd County, IA.

Re: Bicknese in Germany- Christian Bicknese

Posted: 12 Jul 2003 3:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Sep 2005 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: Bicknese
I am not related, but am searching for information on the Christian Bicknese family for another person. I live in Floyd Co., IA, where the family moved in November of 1866, from Dane Co. WI.
I am the county coordinator for Floyd Co. IAGenWeb. I get many requests for information and do this on a volunteer basis, not for pay.
In the 1882 History of Floyd Co. there is a biography for Christian in which his name is written, John Frederick Christian Bicknese, son of Conrad and Marie (Lubbers) Bicknese, of Erichshagen, Wolpe County, Kingdon of Hanover. This bio lists the names of nine children, however the 1870 census of Pleasant Grove Twp., Floyd Co., IA, has one more child who was born in WI, and was eleven years of age in 1870. I cannot make out the name on the census. It looks like it begins with F, and it is not Franklin. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, I would like to look at the 1860 census records. I believe they lived in Dane Co., WI, at that time, moving there about 1852. I would like to know the township they lived in.

If anyone would like to see the biography, please let me know. I also have the obituary for son John Francis Bicknese, who died in 1936. A digital picture of Bicknese tombstones in Pleasant Grove Cemetery is also something I could do in exchange for your help.

Re: Bicknese in Germany- Christian Bicknese

Ralph Bicknese (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2003 2:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bicknese, Hochstein, Davis, Rogers, Long
Bonnie:

This John Frederick Christian Bicknese appears to be my gg grandfather. He is buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetary but was known to us only as Christian H. Frederick Bicknese. I think the "H" appeared on his tombstone but we do not know why.

We know he was born 8 Dec 1816 near Wolpe which is near Hanover Germany and died 23 Jan 1899 in Pleasant Grove Twp., Floyd Co., IA and is buried there along with some others of the family.

His wife was Franziska Hochstein. I also have some information about the Hochstein family but would love more.

Christian and Franziska had at least 11 chiildren and possibly two more. I have quite a bit of history on the family I would be glad to share upon further contact.Iwould also like to contact the person you mentiond you are looking up information for if you would be so kind as to pass this along to them.

Children were Clemence, and Henery (Henry), all born in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne Co. PA.

In 1852 the Bickneses moved to Dane County, WI where they farmed and had the next 8 of their children. The property records in Madison, WI indicate Christian (C.) and Franziska Bickness (spelled in the record as "Bickness") owned 80 acres in Dane County, Springfield Township, Section 18, Town 8, Range 8, Book 69, page 39 (Gte fee 70). They sold it 24 Nov 1865 to J.C. Ford for $900.00.

Next were Mary C., John, Bernard (Bernhart), Catherine (Kate), Frank (my g grandfather), Joseph and Dora (Dorah) all born in Dane Co. WI.

Next were Frances and Helena (Lena) born in Pleasant Grove Twp, Floyd Co., IA.

Two other children may have been Victor and George who are though to have died at birth.

Please send me what you can about Christian's parents, and other information from Germany. This is the first proof I have had about his birth place and parents. Photos and scanned images are more than welcome.

I can also be reached at rbicknese@aol.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic