Search for content in message boards

Reardon Family of Ireland

Reardon Family of Ireland

Posted: 17 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Sep 2008 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: Reardon, Riorden
I'm seek information on the John Reardon family who came to Peterborough Co. Ontario in 1825 aboard the ship "The Brunswick". The family consisted of: John Reardon-38 Catharine-36 Richard-19 Catharine-17 John-15 Michael-12 William-9 Thomas-4 Patrick-1, 2mos.. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Reardon Family of Ireland

Posted: 24 Oct 2001 9:38PM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2001 3:36AM GMT
I believe I saw something about Peterborogh settlers named Reardon who came from Charlevelle, Co. Cork. Have you checked a site with this experiment to resettle the Irish? (Reason I remember it was because my Reardons were from Charleville but emigrated to the Boston area in 1880's/

Posted: 8 Dec 2001 4:23PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2009 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Reardon, O'Brien
I have seen this passanger list also while looking for my ancestors. I think the daughter Catherine (age 17) may be the wife of Morgan O'Brien. Both ancestors. The information I have is that both are from Cork County Ireland who ended up in Petersborough Ontario Canada and then later died in Saginaw Michigan. If they are the same two I am looking for. Please get in contact with me. I am curious to see if we can help each other in our search.

Posted: 8 Dec 2001 6:26PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2008 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: Reardon, Riordan, Ford, Doughty, Snyder, Schneider, Scanlon
Shelley:
I'm not sure that what if any connection I have to the Reardon's of Ontario. I'm trying to follow any and every lead that may fill in the hole I have in the Genealogy. This is what I know of my family:

John and Patrick Reardon (various spellings), Two brothers came from Co. Cork Ireland abt early 1830's. Family stories claim they came through Canada. Location of index cards for their naturalization records show that Patrick was naturalized 17 Oct 1845 and John on 03 Oct 1860. Patrick's death certificate show their father's name as John. Both these brothers settled in Bombay, Franklin Co., New York and had big families. Patrick married Ellen Ford and John married 1st -Hannah Doughty and 2nd - Julia Snyder/ Schnieder. Each having fathered 10 Children. There is possible a sister named Mary who married a Michael Scanlon also of Bombay Area. I have information on there descendants, but nothing more than the name John on the Ancestery. Til next time.

Carmon

Posted: 8 Dec 2001 11:38PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2009 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Riordan, Reardon
I am sure that these are your people but not sure if they are if they are mine. In 1845 nine ships sailed from Cork Harbour with 2024 imigrants. On the passanger list for the Brunswick ship ther is a Riordan/Reardon family. The names and ages are: John 38, Catherine 36, Richard 19, Catherine 17, John 15, Michael 12, William 9, Thomas 4, and Patrick 2 months old. There are 2 of the names you listed. This is probably the whole family. Do the ages fit? They came from Charleville, Cork and settled in Asphodel township in Ontario.
Have you looked at this web site for the passanger lists? I can give it to you if you like.

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 6:24AM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2008 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Reardon, Riordan
All the names in this family match those of my lines with the exception of Richard. I have no Richard's anywhere. These names appear throughout the generationsin the Reardon Family (one of the reasons it so hard to trace this family) I have my doubts this being my family or at least this line of the family. I base this on the following reasons:
The date of departure from Ireland is 10 -15 yrs later than my people would have left, if the informaton I have is correct. My Patrick was naturalized in 1845, which would have meant that he would have had to be more than 2 months of age in 1845. Patrick d. 26 June 1892, his death certificate states that he was Æ 82 Yrs. which means he would have been born abt 1810. Based on Census Records John was b. abt 1812. These facts would have made them the same age as the Father (John) of this family. I closely checked to see if this John and my John were one in the same. Again there are to many facts disputing this to make them same individual. These people may tie into my family some where, but I don't think they are the immediate line I'm seeking. I would still like the web address you spoke of though. Keep in touch and happy hunting.
Carmon

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 2:09PM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2002 6:56PM GMT
http://www.rootsweb.com/~onpeterb/probinsn.html This should be the link to that page. If not let me know. I understand what you mean about the dates. My family also seems to differ in age as to the information I find. I sometimes wonder if somethings are incorrect being that records back then were not as important as they are now. Perhaps we will both find the correct Reardons and who knows we could end up being related to each other somehow. Good luck and let me know if this web site is of any use to you or if you find out anything that could be of help to me with the Reardon family.

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 5:23PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2008 7:01PM GMT
Surnames: Reardon, Riordan
Shelley:
Yes, that does seem to be the correct link to the site you spoke of. After reviewing the site I have found new hope in my search. It seems that the ship set sail in 1825 not 1845 which makes John Æ 15 yrs. the same age as my John. I am however, a bit confused abt Patrick birthdate. All records point to him as being older not younger than John. The fact that other family surnames also appear on this list gives me even more hope. As friends, neighbors and families often traveled together settling in the same locations. This warrants further investigation and maybe just the break that I've been looking for. Thank you for your help. I'll keep you informed and pass along any information I think might help you in your search.
Carmon

Posted: 10 Dec 2001 12:36AM GMT
Yes I realized I gave you the wrong date I am Sorry. As I said My Catherine is listed as 17 on the passanger list but had a date that put her only at 15. However no one seems to know where the date came from so she may possibly be the right one. Also the name of her husband appears on another ship at the same time but again the age is different. Hope I can figure it all out. I am glad to have helped you out. Good luck!!

Posted: 10 Dec 2001 5:32PM GMT
http://www.kawartha.net/~jleonard/robinson.htm Try this site I just found today. It tells a bit about the settlers from Ireland to Canada and the different ships they came on and where they went. Maybe this will help you too.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic