Search for content in message boards

COWAN

COWAN

Carol Pruett (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on my gggrandparents. All I have is Sy Cowan B:1-6-1867, married to Martha ? Their son Nathan Wesley Cowan b: 12-14-1882 d: 2-19-1963 and moved to Mingus Texas and married my g grandmother Nancy Savannah Redman. On Sy and Martha all I have is they came from Columbia Kentucky, Adair County. If you have any information it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carol

BURTON

Mr. E. H. Lepiarczyk (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
My great-grandfather's half-sister, Martha Francis Burton, married Cyrenius W. Cowan. Martha was the daughter of James Madison Burton and Nancy Elizabeth Lawless Burton. They all lived in Adair County, Kentucky.

COWAN

Posted: 6 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. Since I have posted infomation on my family, I have found that I have cousins in Kentucky. Its great! Before last week we had no information on our family. Now I do. Lets keep in touch I would like to hear more about your side of the Cowan/Burton family.

Carol
cpruett@hsc.unt.edu

COWAN

David Jones (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Here is all I have to date on Cyrenus Cowan. I too like others was told his name was Sy. If you have any additional information, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
David Jones

Descendants of Cyrenus Cowan

Generation No. 1

1. CYRENUS1 COWAN. He married MARTHA.

Notes for CYRENUS COWAN:
The Kentucky Land Grants
Vol 1
Part 2
Chapter X. Grants in the County Court Orders (1836-1924)
The Counties of Kentucky
Page 1152
Grantees: Cowan, Cyrenus
Acres: 7
Book: 125
Page:210
Date Survey: 2-18-1914
County: Adair
Watercourse:Snake Cr

Children of CYRENUS COWAN and MARTHA are:

i. TOMMY2 COWAN.

ii. CORNELIA COWAN, m. CURRY.

iii. MARY SUSAN COWAN.
2. iv. CLEM COWAN, b. October 22, 1898, Christine, Kentucky; d. October 1964.

Generation No. 2

2. CLEM2 COWAN (CYRENUS1) was born October 22, 1898 in Christine, Kentucky, and died October 1964. He married ETHEL LOU BURTON September 14, 1924, daughter of WILLIAM BURTON and ANNIE LIZZIE.

Notes for ETHEL LOU BURTON:
[Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1 A-L, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Feb 28, 1998, Internal Ref. #1.111.5.51177.126]

Individual: Cowan, Ethel
Social Security #: 403-30-4877
SS# issued in: Kentucky

Birth date: Nov 29, 1906
Death date: Mar 7, 1993

ZIP Code of last known residence: 40216
Primary location associated with this ZIP Code:

Louisville, Kentucky

More About ETHEL LOU BURTON:
Fact 1: Social Security #: 403-30-48771
Fact 2: SS# issued in: Kentucky1
Fact 3: Last residence ZIP: 402161

Children of CLEM COWAN and ETHEL BURTON are:

i. KATHRYN3 COWAN, b. September 24, 1925.

ii. FRANCES COWAN, b. May 16, 1928.

iii. JAMES COWAN, b. September 29, 1929.

iv. PEARSLEE COWAN, b. June 20, 1933; m. J. W. REECE.
3. v. MARGIE COWAN, b. October 12, 1935; d. April 24, 1978.
4. vi. BERTHA MAE COWAN, b. October 29, 1937, Columbia, Kentucky.

vii. BENJAMIN COWAN, b. December 03, 1939; d. January 31, 1984.

viii. IRENE COWAN, b. January 28, 1942.

ix. WILLIAM COWAN, b. April 06, 1945.

x. GILBERT COWAN, b. July 20, 1947.
5. xi. KENNETH COWAN, b. March 26, 1949.

xii. DANNY COWAN, b. January 24, 1951.

Generation No. 3

3. MARGIE3 COWAN (CLEM2, CYRENUS1) was born October 12, 1935, and died April 24, 1978. She married HERBERT RICHARDS.

Child of MARGIE COWAN and HERBERT RICHARDS is:

i. WALLACE EARL4 RICHARDS.

4. BERTHA MAE3 COWAN (CLEM2, CYRENUS1) was born October 29, 1937 in Columbia, Kentucky. She married WALLACE EDWARD BOHANNON October 18, 1958 in Cane Valley, Kentucky, son of HARLAN BOHANON and LOU BRYANT.

Children of BERTHA COWAN and WALLACE BOHANNON are:
6. i. DONNA JEAN4 BOHANNON, b. July 13, 1959, Columbia, Kentucky.

ii. DEBORAH JOYCE BOHANNON, b. December 02, 1967.

5. KENNETH3 COWAN (CLEM2, CYRENUS1) was born March 26, 1949. He married MARLENE HAYES.

Child of KENNETH COWAN and MARLENE HAYES is:

i. ANGIE4 COWAN.

Generation No. 4

6. DONNA JEAN4 BOHANNON (BERTHA MAE3 COWAN, CLEM2, CYRENUS1) was born July 13, 1959 in Columbia, Kentucky. She married DAVID ELSTON JONES August 12, 1979 in Cane Valley, Kentucky, son of MARCUS JONES and JESSIE FARRIS.

Children of DONNA BOHANNON and DAVID JONES are:

i. MICHAEL DAVID5 JONES, b. July 22, 1985.

ii. STEPHANIE LYNN JONES, b. March 27, 1987.

Endnotes

1. Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Feb 28, 1998, Internal Ref. #1.111.5.51177.126

Cowan

Posted: 18 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Thanks so much! It has been so much fun do this geneology. I have also found another cousin-yours too in Adair Co. Her name is Lila Curry Ford. Cy and Martha's daughter Cordelia was her great grandmother. Below is what she sent me (two letters) on our family. Its Great! You need to email her - her address is skipper@eagleweb.net. Ill send you what I have on Cy and Martha son-my great grandfather Nathan. I dont have it with me today at work. let me know about you and your family. I would love to get to know you. I'll email you my address. I'll get my family info together tonight and send it to you. I dont have a program on my computer yet, I just have it on family sheets and individual sheets that I got from other peoples programs. I can either fax it to you or mail it. But I will send the basics, on email to you.

Carol

(Cyrenius Cowan born ca 1859 married Martha F. Burton born ca 1859 they had 9 children: Thomas Cowan born 1879 married Josie Farris; Madison Cowan born 1881 married Lou Etta Burton Madison died 1921; Nathan W. Cowan born 1882 married Nancy Redman Nathan died 1959; Nancy Ann Cowan born 1889 married Lee Burton Nancy died 1917; Cordelia Cowan born April 27, 1886 married Sam Neely Curry Cordelia died 1970; Mary Susan Cowan born 1887 married Sid Streeval; John R. Cowan born 1892 married Mary E. Burton; Clemence Cowan born 1894 married 1st Sophia J. Burton and 2nd Ethel L. Burton; Clara Cowan born 1901.

Cordelia Cowan and Sam Neely Curry are my great grandparents. Cordelia and Sam had 10 children. One of whom was Ausie "Rattler" Walker Curry who is my grandfather.
Tommy and Josie had several children, I only have the names of 5 of them.
Madison and Lou Etta had 8 children.
Nathan and Nancy had 4 children.
Nancy and Lee had 4 children.
Mary Susan and Sid had 7 children.
John and Mary had 2 children.
Clemence and Sophia had one child
Clemence and Ethel had 9 children

Cyrenius Cowan's parents are Thomas Cowan and Betsy Ann Burton Martha F. Burton's parents are James Madison Burton and Nancy E. Lawless

Lila: Cyrenius and Martha's daughter Cordelia was my greatgrandmother. Cordelia married Sam Neely Curry. They had 10 children:
Avert whom married Bessie Corbin; Ausie (my grandfather) married Ida Willis, Otis married 1st Nancy Corbin and when she died he married her sisiter Mattie Corbin; Ester married Bessie Goodin; Fannie married Finis Pendleton; Mattie arried William Irvin; Oma died before she married; Lester married 1st Hazel Burton, 2nd Mae ?, 3rd Diane Powell; Edna has ever married; and Evelyn died before she married.

Edna, Fannie, and Lester are the only ones of the original children still living. Avert's wife is still living. Otis's wife Mattie is still living but isn't doing so good; Ester's wife Bessie is still living, Fannie and her huband are both living, Mattie's husband William is living we
call him Luther, Lester and his wife Diane is living.

There are hundreds of cousins. Every year there is a Curry family reunion held the sunday closes to July 4th.

Cyrenius's father was Thomas Cowan. Thomas Cowan's father was John T. Cowan. Thomas 's wife is Elizabeth Ann Burton. John T. Cowan's wife is Martha Patsy Kissee. Elizabeth Ann Burton's parents are Benjamin Burton and Catherine Dalton, Catherine father is Elijah. It is said she is a sister to the Datlon gang, but have not yet been able to prove such.

Martha's father was James Madison Burton. James's parents were Arthur Burton and Elizabeth Tarter. Martha's mother was Nancy E. Lawless. Nancy's parents were James Lawless and Francis Carter. Arthur's parents were William Burton and Elizabeth Kissee. William's parents were James Burton and Sarah Stovall. I am told Elizabeth's parents are Arthur Kissee and Tabitha Stovall. I do not have Elizabeth Tarter's parents as of yet. James E. Lawless' parents are Augustine Lawless and Sally M. Dillion. Francis Carter's parents are James T. Carter and Elizabeth Dillion. Augustine's father is William Lawless.

Augustine is an American Revolutionary soldier. He is buried in nearby Russell County. He has a unmarked field stone has his marker. Records have where he is buried.

James T. Carter was killed in the War of 1812.

Thomas Cowan and Josie Farris children

Jeff Luttrell (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cowan
My great grandmother was Josie Farris. My Grandfather was one of her children. You may already have his name but if not his name was Walker Cowan.He was born in Adiar County Kentucky. He was married twice and had a total of 21 children. Those children live in Adiar County and Illinios. I am new to genealogy but think I can help you with Josie Farris's children. Please feel free to e-mail me.Thanks.
Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2005 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: Cowan, Farris, Burton
Jeff,

I am also a descendent of the same Cowans you are. My grandpa told me stories about Walker Cowan and all those kids. Was Tommy Cowan's father Cyrenius Cowan or William Shelby Cowan? My GGGgrandmother was a sister to Shelby and Cy. Do you need any help with your Cowan genealogy? Was Josie Farris a sister to Robert Lawson Farris who married Verna Burton? Keep in touch.

Re: COWAN

Posted: 25 Jun 2001 8:53PM GMT
Hi

Just to let you know, I am one of the grandchildren of Clem and Ethel Cowan. I am the daughter of Gilbert Cowan and Gladys (McQueary).

Clem passed away long before I was born. Granny (Ethel) talked of a Texas connection with Papa Clem but no one knew exactly who or what.

According to stories, Clem was a widdower when he married Ethel. He had one child with his first wife.

Please feel free to contact me at GDouget@AOL.COM.

Its a small world after all.
Thanks
Gina Cowan Douget

Re: COWAN

Posted: 25 Jun 2001 10:01PM GMT
Hi

This information is great. I am the grand daughter of Clem Cowan and Ethel (Burton) Cowan. My father is Gilbert Cowan.

Any additional info you have is great. It is a small world. I can be reached at GDouget@AOL.COM

Gina Cowan Douget
Posted: 26 Mar 2002 9:54PM GMT
I am looking for a Mary Jane Rattler married to Robert Leverette do you know anything about any one name this?
Thanks Sandy
Robert was born in about 1813?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions