Search for content in message boards

Rev. William REEVES/REAVES, Sr. and Judge John REAVES

Rev. William REEVES/REAVES, Sr. and Judge John REAVES

Posted: 29 Aug 2000 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2002 7:50PM GMT
Georgia Reporter Christian Gazette (Sparta, Hancock County) on 1 May 1826 wrote "Rev. William Reaves died 4-16-1816, for many years a respectable minister of the Baptist demonination." Seek any information on him and his relationship to Judge John REAVES (b. 27 Apr 1809 in GA, d. 1887 in Randolph County, AL) -- father/son, uncle/nephew?
Thank you. wefjr7944@hotmail.com

William REAVES/ Judge John REAVES

Posted: 31 Aug 2000 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2002 3:27AM GMT
Court papers list Judge John REAVES having a son William. Seek any information on Judge John REAVES,including source of birthdate and birthplace.Thank you.

Judge John Reaves

Posted: 31 Aug 2000 6:12PM GMT
John Reaves:
b. 27 Apr 1809 in Georgia, probably Hancock County -- 1850 U.S. Census for Randolph County, AL states GA as Reaves's birth state.
d. 09 Oct 1887 in Wedowee, Randolph County, Alabama; buried in the Old Wedowee Cemetery, Township 20, Range 11, Section 3.
Married four times and had at least 17 children.
Son William, apparently the first born child of John Reaves, was b. 11 May 1829, probably in Morgan County, GA, and d. 10 Feb 1848. John's wife and William's mother was Hannah McWhorter, b. 22 Sep 1809 in Hancock County, GA, d. 25 Jul 1843. She married Reaves on 12 Feb 1828 in Morgan County, GA.
Much of this information and more is recorded in John Reaves's journal, which was brought to my attention by Lynda Eller
[deller@mindspring.com]. She posted the information on http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs/cgi/
USA/Al/Randolph/156

There was a death notice in the Georgia Reporter Christian Gazette, published in Sparta, Hancock County, GA, on 01 May 1826 on a Baptist minister, Rev. William Reeves, who died 16 Apr 1826. Given that this was mentioned in John Reaves journal, that John was also a Baptist, from GA, and that he named his first born child "William" two years after Rev. William died seems to indicate that the Rev. William Reeves was John Reaves father.
Any information you have would also be appreciated.
Bill Fischer wefjr7944@hotmail.com

Judge John Reaves

Suzanne (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2000 4:44AM GMT
He also had a son by his last marriage, Pitt Reaves, who had 6 children. Pitt Chilton Reaves is my great grandfather.

Pittman Chilton Reaves

Posted: 19 Oct 2000 8:57PM GMT
Suzanne

The only info I have on Pitt Reaves is birthdate of 2 Mar 1875. Please forward birth location (Wedowee, Randolph, AL?), marriage and death dates/locations. Where is he buried? Also names/dates of children. Do you have any info on Pitt's siblings to share?

Bill wefjr7944@hotmail.com

Pitt C. Reaves

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2001 6:20PM GMT
Pitt C. Reaves was my grandfather. He was a child of John Reaves and fourth wife Mary White Cantrell. He had 6 children all deceased now. Pitt was the youngest of 21 children. I would be interested in any information you could give me about him. I am his youngest grandchild and I never got to meet him.

Pitt Reaves

Posted: 8 Mar 2001 2:30PM GMT
Carol

Please contact me direct at wefjr7944@hotmail.com

I don't have much info on him but would like to see where we can share info. Thanks,
Bill

All the Reaves information I have

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2001 6:17AM GMT
Judge John Reaves was born in Hancock Co. in 1809. He died in Wedowee Ala 10-9-1887. He was also a member of the Legislature. His father was William Reaves. And his father was John Reaves. This John Reaves was in the revolutionary war. Judge John Reaves was married 4 times and had a total of 20 children. I have a list of the wives and all their children and a partial list of their children. You can probably find this information from probate records of A.S. Reaves the son of Algernon S. Reaves who was a son of John Reaves. I believe that A.S. Reaves was a resident of New Mexico. Also if you can find a September 1969 issue of Southern Living Magazine there is a story about some people who bought the Reaves estate and remodeled it. Hope this will help you out. How are you related to the Reaves family?

Judge John Reaves

Posted: 11 Mar 2001 6:41PM GMT
Carol

Yes, I have info on John Reaves, his four
wives, and their 20 children, but then
descendents of those 20 lines becomes
sketchy for some. I have copy of the
estate records for A.S. Reaves filed in NM
in late 1950s.

My wife is gg-granddaughter of John Reaves
through his daughter, Mentoria Reaves, who
married Robert Stell Heflin.

I was of the understanding that John Reaves'
father was William Reaves, Jr. and his grand-
father was William Reaves, Sr., not another
John Reaves. You mention that this John
Reaves was a Rev War soldier. I would
appreciate any information on sources to
confirm this connection. Thanks.

Bill

Judge John Reaves

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2001 4:16PM GMT
This was my great grandfather. Do you still need information? Let me know.

cell520724@aol.com

Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic