Search for content in message boards

Where did Haines originate???

Where did Haines originate???

Cheyenne (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2005 5:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Feb 2006 5:07PM GMT
Surnames: Haines
I am just starting on my HAINES line & am wondering what country the HAINES line originated from.
Thanks.

Re: Where did Haines originate???

Bob (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2005 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2006 5:07PM GMT
My RICHARD HAINES 1636 - 1682 comes from Aynhoe, England. and died aboard the ship Amity.

Posted: 24 Dec 2005 11:21PM GMT
As far as I can tell all Haineses I'm familiar with originated in England and came across in the 17th Century. There are at least four bunches in these early years. There was a Richard Haines who came from Devon, England, and became a substantial estate owner in Virginia, or South Carolina. Another Richard Haines, as already noted, led a party of Quakers to, or actually toward Burlington Co., New Jersey. He himself didn't survive the voyage. There was also a Rev. Samuel Haines who established a bit of a dynasty in New Hampshire. Finally, closer to my own roots, Richard and William Haines made it to Salem, Massachusetts in maybe 1634 or so. They were from Bedfordshire (near London) England. My own ancester, James Haines, was a cooper who arrived in Salem in 1637. There is some possibility, but thin evidence, that he was related to Richard and William. James Haines moved to Southold, New York, on eastern Long Island in about 1650, and died soon thereafter.

There's also the possibility that your own Haineses came much later, but most likely from England. It's an English name, for sure. Also, there are connections with the rather larger Haynes clan.

Dick Haines

Posted: 23 Feb 2006 10:47PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2006 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: Haines, Haynes, Hanes, Haynes
I am reserching the desendents of George Justus Haynes other spelling Haines, Hanes.
George Justus came with his family from Ulster, Ireland

Re: Geo J HAYNES time period

Posted: 6 Aug 2006 9:46PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2006 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Haynes, Haines
What is the time period for your Geo J HAYNES and where did they settle ??

Re: Geo J HAYNES time period

Jackie Haines (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2006 8:37PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2006 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Haines, Haynes
George was born in 1745 in Ulster, Ireland.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions