Search for content in message boards

Gladys and Lesley john Davis and 12? children from Melbourne

Gladys and Lesley john Davis and 12? children from Melbourne

Posted: 21 Apr 2012 3:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis,norman, Smoothy
I am looking for any info on my mothers family,her name is Daphne Violet Smoothy( Nee Davis )Her siblings are Charles,Grace was one of twins,Helen,Kevin,Lesley,lillian ivy,margaret,Patricia, Pearl and valda.my mum's mother was Gladys( Queenie )her mother was Annie sophia rose norman.hoping that someone will know info on mainly the siblings, but anything will be wonderful, thankyou in advance regards Kay.

Re: Gladys and Lesley john Davis and 12? children from Melbourne

Posted: 21 Apr 2012 6:41AM GMT

Surname: DAVIS
Given Names: Leslie Jno
Event: B
Sex: M
Spouse Surname/Father: Unknown
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Thirza Helen DAVIS
Birth Place: OUTTRIM
Death Place:
Year: 1900
Reg. Number: 5560

Given Names: Daisy Winifred
Sex: F
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Thirza Helen DAVIS
Birth Place: BEALIBA
Death Place:
Year: 1890
Reg. Number: 29765

Given Names: Thirza Helen
Spouse Surname/Father: Fredk Albert
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Mary Elizabeth YOUNG
Birth Place: BEALIBA
Death Place:
Year: 1873
Reg Number: 21987
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Surname: MCLAREN
Given Names: Thirza Helen
Father: Davis Fredk
Mother: Mary Eliz YOUNG
Death Place: GEELONG
Age Code:
Year: 1951
Reg Number: 21030
Event: D

Family Name: DAVIS
Given Name: Leslie Jno
Spouse Family Name: TURNER
Spouse Given Name: Gladys Harriett
Registration Year: 1932
Registration Number: 11080
Re-registration Year:
Event Year:
Registration Type:
Event: M

DEATH - QUEENSLAND

Reg # Given Names Surname Father's Name Mother's Name
1964/C4960 Leslie John Davis - Davis Helen Theresa Davis ** born Outrim,Victoria aged 66 years

Surname: NORMAN
Given Names: Gladys Harriet
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Annie Sophia Rose NORMAN
Birth Place: CARLTON
Death Place:
Year: 1906
Reg. Number: 16767

Given Names: Gladys Harriett
Father: Windles Norman
Mother: Rose TURNER
Death Place: BOX HILL
Age Code:
Year: 1965
Reg Number: 25550

Given Names: Kevin Keith
Father: Leslie John
Mother: Gladys Harriet
Death Place: ALBERT PARK
Age Code:
Year: 1983
Reg Number: 19691

Posted: 21 Apr 2012 6:56AM GMT
From Australian National Archives-
DAVIS LESLIE JOHN : Service Number - V512162 : Date of birth - 05 Dec 1898 : Place of birth - OUTRIM VIC : Place of enlistment - ROYAL PARK VIC : Next of Kin - DAVIS GLADYS
(you can request a copy of the information-search as a guest)
http://www.naa.gov.au/

VIC Marriages-
Family Name: TURNER
Given Name: Gladys Harriett
Spouse Family Name: DAVIS
Spouse Given Name: Leslie Jno
Registration Year: 1932
Registration Number: 11080
Re-registration Year:
Event Year:
Registration Type:

Surname: TURNER
Given Names: Percy Wm
Sex:
Spouse Surname/Father: NORMAN
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Annie Sophia Rose
Birth Place: DIAMOND CK
Death Place:
Year: 1909
Reg. Number: 4445

VIC Births-

Given Names: Alice Amelia Rose
Sex:
Spouse Surname/Father: Percy Wm
Birth Place: ELTHAM
Death Place:
Year: 1911
Reg. Number: 3015

Given Names: Lavinia Lilian
Sex:
Spouse Surname/Father: Percy
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Annie Rose NORMAN
Death Place:
Year: 1913
Reg. Number: 3175
VIC Death-
Given Names: Not Stated Male
Sex:
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Annie Sophia NORMAN
Birth Place:
Death Place: Eltham
Reg. Number: 12298

VIC Births-
Given Names: Unnamed Male
Sex: M
Death Place:
Reg. Number: 26968

Surname: NORMAN
Given Names: Gladys Harriet
Birth Place: CARLTON
Death Place:
Year: 1906
Reg. Number: 16767
--------------------
Death in VIC- Maybe??
Given Names: Gladys Harriett
Father: Windles Norman
Mother: Rose TURNER
Death Place: BOXH
Age Code:
Year: 1965
Reg Number: 25550

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 4:52PM GMT
Hi Kay
I don't have any info on your mum's Davis line but I go back quite a long way with the Smoothys if that is of any interest to you.
Regards
Peter Brand

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: Smoothy, Davis,
Hi Peter that would be good to find out how you fit into the Smoothy line,cheers from Kay

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 12:36PM GMT
Hi Kay
Sorry for the delay in replying.
My great grandmother was Mary Ann Smoothy. She was born at Ickleton, Cambridgeshire. As I am sure you know, your ancestors were from Hadstock which is very near Ickleton but across the county boundary in Essex. I have found very obscure connections but not one bringing your line and mine together. The name is unusual and they are from the same area so I am confident that if I could get past the brick walls I have hit with both lines, I would find it.
With your line I get to the middle of the 18th century and the marriage of Albert Smoothy to Hannah Buck (Saffron Walden, Essex 20 Dec 1749). They had 7 children. I think they were probably all born in Suffolk but I cannot be certain because none of them were baptised as children.
With my line the earliest Smoothy I have is John who married Sarah Farrands at Barnardiston, Suffolk on 28 Aug 1712. I don't know where he was born.
Apart from the name Smoothy there is one other small clue suggesting a connection. Hannah and Albert's oldest son, James, married Mary Kemball at Dalham, Suffolk on 1 Jan 1781. Kemball crops up as a forename in the family after that date. Curiously, a couple of my lot also have the forename Kemball. The first of them was Job Kemball Smoothy who emigrated to Maryborough, Queensland with his parents (George Smoothy and Martha Hayden)and siblings in 1874.
Are you in touch with Diane Mathews (nee Smoothy)? You definitely have a connection. Di and I have helped each other with Smoothy research for several years although neither of us has done much in the last 2 or 3 years.
I have opened my Ancestry Tree for you. It is way out of date but I can probably plug some gaps and provide sources if you do not mind using e-mail. My address is peterbran@ntlworld.com

Best wishes

Peter

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 12:49PM GMT
Hi Kay
Further to my message of 14 Jan. When I first looked at your family tree I only looked at the most recent stuff about your immediate family which is where I am hoping to learn something from you. However I now realise, going back a couple of centuries we are not quite on the same wave length. I gather your source was Simon Pinkney but I think in this instance, he may have got things a bit wrong - I would say that wouldn't I?
First of all, your tree refers to Joseph Buck Smoothy born in Birdbrook in 1755. I have a copy of the Birdbrook Parish Register but cannot find a record of Joseph Buck's baptism. That does not of course prove he was not born there. Unfortunately I cannot find any record of a Joseph Buck Smoothy. He is obviously the same man as I call Buck Smoothy. I have not found a record of his baptism either. I have however found when Buck was married to Mary Wright at Hadstock, Essex on 8 January 1787. There were no marriages at Birdbrook Parish Church in 1787. There was a Smoothy marriage at Birdbrook on 15 January 1782 when a Joseph Smoothy married Mary Smith. I don't know anything about that line but I will have a look in case there are any connections with our research.
Simon Pinkney also says the children of "Joseph" Buck Smoothy and Mary Wright were all born in Birdbrook. None of them were baptised until 1816 when they were all "done" at Linton Congregational Church (also called the Independent Chapel and now the United Reform Church). The baptismal entries in the parish register gives their dates of birth but not the place of birth. For that I have relied on the 1851 Census. The information is not there for all of them but in most instances it says Hadstock. None of the entries says Birdbrook. I think it is fairly safe to assume they were all born in Hadstock.
Going back a bit now I note that you have Joseph Smoothy (born 1731) and Elizabeth as the parents of Joseph Buck Smoothy. I think they were the parents of the Joseph Smoothy who married Mary Smith at Birdbrook in 1782.
Coming forward a little, your Smoothy ancestor who emigrated to Queensland was, as you know, Alfred Smoothy, son of John Smoothy and Ann Hymas. You will also know that Alfred's brother Henry also went to Queensland. They had another brother, John, who married Maria Louisa Walker and spent most of his adult life living in Southwark, Surrey (now part of London). John and Louisa had two sons who also emigrated to Queensland, John Thomas and Alexander James. You may know about them but if not I can provide more information.
Given that I have questioned some of the info on your tree you would perhaps like much more information than I have provided in this message on my source. If that is the case please let me know. Not all this stuff is stored on line so you will need to use my e-mail address.
Regards
Peter

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 5:50AM GMT
Surnames: davis
Hi Kay

My name is Linda, I read your post and was wondering about how to approach you. I don't know them but I know of your grandparents, mother and siblings as I am particularly interested in one of them but their name is not listed by you as a sibling. This may sound mysterious but to be honest you are the only person I have found in relation to the Davis line of which you are a direct member and I don't know if any of them know about me. I hope that you get this and will reply in order for me to explain further. Cheers
per page

Find a board about a specific topic