Search for content in message boards

Benjamin HUTCHINSON, b.1876, Wigan, Lancashire. Emmigrated to USA

Benjamin HUTCHINSON, b.1876, Wigan, Lancashire. Emmigrated to USA

Posted: 14 Aug 2003 10:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchinson, Winnard, Whalley
Seeking descendents in the USA.
Father was also Benjamin b.1851, mother Mary Winnard b.1853? d.1916-20.
Benjamin was born in 1876 in Standish, Lancashire, third child of 16? of which 10 are known about - Alice (b.1873), John (b.74), Benjamin (b.76), Hugh (b.78), Richard (b.80), Mary (b.82), George (b.83), Sarah (b.90), Hannah (b.91), Edith (b.1895).
Benjamin is listed in the 1881 census as living at Wigan Road and in the 1891 census as living at White Lion Inn, Thwaites Delf, Billinge Road, Pemberton, Wigan (his father was the publican). His occupation is listed as a miner.
Benjamin's older brother Hugh was my g-grandfather. My grandmother (aged 87) is wondering whether there are any surviving cousins in America (i.e. Benjamin's children).
We are wondering if there is any connection to William Gladstone Hutchinson b.1869 who came to Ellis Island in 1893 (may have been Benjamin's cousin) - I'm also investigating passenger records to verify this connection.
There is also a connection to the Whalley's of Bolton I think. Benjamin's grandmother was Alice Whalley (a widow), his grandfather was John Hutchinson. John had 7 children by Jane Fairhurst and then 6 by Alice Whalley, of which Benjamin senior was one.
Would love to hear from anyone with any connection! We have records of the Hutchinson paternal line back to the 1700s. Abbey. abbeytunbridge@hotmail.com

Re: Benjamin HUTCHINSON, b.1876, Wigan, Lancashire. Emmigrated to USA

Roy Hutchinson (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2003 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson
Hi Abbey,
Do you know of any living Hutchinsons of this line?
Thanks,
Roy

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2003 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Whalley
I am not to my knowledge descendant of your Benjamin.

I AM, however, the great granddaughter of the William Gladstone Hutchinson you mention. I have been trying to find out more about any of the family left behind in England. If you are able to prove this cousin connection, PLEASE let me know.

I do know names and (approx.) years of birth of my great grandfather's parents, siblings and one cousin, Florence WHALLEY. I have the census info from 1881 when Florence was living with my them. They lived in Little Bolton and William Gladstone Hutchinson's father (also William) was a smallwares dealer and silk dresser.

And of course I know that William Gladstone Hutchinson ended up in California where he married my great grandmother, Margy (Huckaby) Hutchinson.

Gosh, now I'm really excited! Hope this pans out.

Cheers!

Deb Fiedler

Hutchinsons - Canada, US, Scotland, England

Posted: 17 Aug 2003 6:59PM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2006 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson
I am seeking any connections to James Goldsmith Hutchinson born 1846 - have no idea who his parents are ...
He was born in Ont., Canada from the info I have been given. He married Eliza Harrison...he also served as a volunteer as listed in the muster rolls for New York - 48th regiment. Any connections or leads would be wonderful.
Thank you,
Jade

Re: Hutchinsons - Canada, US, Scotland, England

Posted: 20 Aug 2003 12:55PM GMT
Jade,
No obvious connection here, sorry. Good luck with the researching.
Abbey

Posted: 20 Aug 2003 1:02PM GMT
Roy,
There are descendants of Hugh b.1878, Benjamin's brother. The only Hutchinson is a Hugh, who is the grandson. His father was Jack, b.1913. All the other children were girls: Ellen (Nellie), Mary, Edith, Doreen, and Christine. All were married and had families.
If you need further information let me know.
Abbey

Posted: 20 Aug 2003 1:19PM GMT
Deb,
This sounds like an interesting connection!! No doubt will be a challenge trying to prove it!
I have been looking for Williams in my tree. I have a William born in 1812. Any chance that this is your William G's grandfather?? His father was Ralph Hutchinson b.1748 and mother was Hannah Bain (no dates). They were in Wigan/Blackrod. Ralph was 64 when he had William - he carried on having children until he was 80(!) by 4 women in total. Brothers and sisters of WIlliam were: By Betty Cranshaw: William b.1771, Alexander b.1773, Richard b.1779 (my line), John b.1781, George b.1784, Peter b.1786, Betty b.1791, David b.1793. By Sarah Pennington: James b.1799. By Sally Pennington: Ralph b.1807. By Hannah Bain: Jenny b.1810, William b.1812, Sally b.1814, Jenny b.1822, Mary b.1828.
The Whalley connection is intriguing. According to the Census, my Alice Whalley is called Hutchinson by the time of the Census in 1851 and at Cherry Croft, Wigan Lane, Wigan. Also with them there is a "Stepdaughter" Ann Rutter. The children Alice (Whalley) Hutchinson had with John Hutchinson were Joseph b.1850, Benjamin b.1851 (my g-g-grandfather), Ellen b.1855, George b.1857, Sarah b.1860 and John b.1863.
Hope this may bring about some more clues. Thanks to anyone that can provide any insight....
Abbey
PS. I am in London, England.

Deb Fiedler (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2003 7:10PM GMT
I don't know if there is any chance the Williams you speak of are behind my line. Until 2001 (when I received help from Lynda Balmforth through this list), we knew nothing of William Gladstone Hutchinson before he married my Ggrandmother.

Here is most of the info that I have.

From the 1881 census:
1, Mill Street, Little Bolton, Lancs.

William Hutchinson-Head-Mar-42-Smallwear dealer(Silk Dr)-Bolton
Mary Hutchinson-Wife-39-Bolton
James Hutchinson-son-15-shop assistant-Bolton
William G. Hutchinson-son-12-scholar-Bolton (my ggrandfather)
Mary Hutchinson-daughter-10-scholar-Bolton
Thomas Hutchinson-son-4-scholar-Bolton
Henry B. Hutchinson-son-1-Bolton
Florence Whalley-niece-14-nurse dom.-Bolton

From family records/oral history:
William Gladstone Hutchinson was born January 6, 1869.

From ellisisland.org (passenger manifests):
He sailed on the Umbria from Liverpool to New York in April 1893.

Wish I could be more helpful in establishing this possible connection. I am just getting started with this area, really.

Cheers!

Deb

Deb Fiedler (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2003 7:08PM GMT
I forgot to say this in my previous post. I'm sure you could do the math yourself, but I will point out that the William born in 1812 would at least be the right timeframe to have been my g-grandfather William Gladstone Hutchinson's grandfather.

To wit:
William Hutchinson b. 1812
William Hutchinson (could be his son?) born c. 1839
William Gladstone Hutchinson b. January 6 1969 (my g-granfather)

At least we know that part of the equation could work...

If anyone else out there has info or access to info on any of the names Abbey and I have posted, I would be terribly grateful for your contributions. I would especially love to know of anyone who has a connection to William Gladstone Hutchinson's siblings (James, Mary, Thomas or Henry B.) or his cousin (Florence Whalley).

Cheers!

Deb

Posted: 8 May 2004 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Marsden, Ashcroft, Turner
Abbey and Deb,

I was looking through both of your posts and thought one of the siblings, Mary Hutchinson b. 1828 (Ralph Hutchinson and Hannah Bain) could be a possible relation. If either of you might know what her husband's name was it could confim a link. I have a Mary Hutchinson, father Ralph, married in Nov. 1846 to Ralph Marsden. Their first daughter was also named Hannah, that might not mean anything, but it was a thought. I don't have a date for my Mary's birth, so I'm not positive. All I have is that she was born in Blackrod as was Ralph Marsden. Feel free to let me know if I'm right or wrong, you can e-mail at sirmako72@hotmail.com

Nick Calabrese
per page

Find a board about a specific topic