Search for content in message boards

SC/Ga/Fl Stokes and Indians

SC/Ga/Fl Stokes and Indians

Posted: 11 Mar 2001 12:21PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 3:42AM GMT
Does anyone have knowledge of an Indian connection to David Stokes, Henry Stokes or Rebecca Lloyd Stokes. Thom Forsyth

Native American Stokes

Posted: 29 Mar 2001 2:59PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2001 11:23PM GMT
Thom,
I've done extensive research on this line and I have not found any concrete connection to any Native Americans other than the unidentified "Cherokee Grandmother" which seems unlikely since they did't live around the Cherokees.

Gerald Stokes

Native American Stokes

Posted: 2 Apr 2001 8:15PM GMT
Gerald, thanks for your reply. My gggrandmother was Rebecca Stokes, wife of John Mack Lloyd.
There are several Stokes from Georgia listed on the Guion-Miller Rolls as applying for enrollment in the Eastern Band Cherokee Tribe. Do you have any information on either of the following: Lewis F., Martha E., Mary Elizabeth, or Virgie M. Stokes. Any help would be appreciated. Thom

Native American Stokes

Posted: 3 Apr 2001 4:56PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2001 11:23PM GMT
Thom;
I will need a little more information to be sure that I am giving you the right people. Can you tell me the year of the application to the Cherokee roles? Also any other information. Were they accepted? Where did they apply?
After a quick look, and I do mean quick, here is what I have come up with.

A Daughter of Henry Stokes, your gggggrandfather and father of Rebecca Stokes Lloyd was named Mary Elizabeth. Mary E. Stokes married William B. Green in Camden County Ga. One of her daughters was also named Mary Elizabeth b. 1851

There is a Vergie Stokes b. 1924 d. 1975 who was the daughter of Niram Gentry Stokes who was the son of Henry Wesley Stokes and Martha Dixon Stokes, who was in turn a son of Lewis A. Stokes and his wife Joanna, and who was in turn the son of our g-grandfather Henry.

I am certain there is a Lewis F. in there somewhere and possibly a Marhta E. The names sound really familiar.

Gerald Stokes

lost-cousin

Thom (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2001 3:18PM GMT
Dear Thom,I,m a stokes from N,c. An blackfoot and cheereke Indian. My Great Grandmother name is Mary Elizbeth,She had 18 children.A son named henry,and david.I'm trying to find my ascendant. Her children ,children are my second ,and third cousin and i have no idea who they are.Please or cookie ham on or lost-cousin at Familyhistory.com

Native American Stokes

Posted: 8 Apr 2001 6:46PM GMT
Gerald, The Guion Miller Rolls was a registry of persons applying for acceptance into the Eastern Band Cherokee Tribe. I don't know if either of these persons were admitted. The roll was taken 1909-1910 and the names I provided from the rolls were listed as being from Georgia. Thom

native-american stokes

Posted: 15 Apr 2001 12:02PM GMT
Edited: 24 Dec 2001 10:10PM GMT
I am trying to find a connection to native-american stokes. We have always been told that we were part native-american but do not know what tribe. My g grandfather was William Henry Stokes of Indiana. My grandmother was Mary Effie Stokes Isaacs. Can you give me any help?

Re: Native American Stokes

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 1:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stokes, Williams
Question.... I am a descendant of Mary E. Stokes who married Eli D. Williams of Dooly/Pulaski counties in GA. Eli and Mary had her mother living with them in the 1850 Dooly Co. Census, and her name is Jane. AND on top of that, Eli and Mary named their first son Henry. So, I guess I am thinking that I found my family, but am confused because you are saying that Mary E., daughter of Henry and Jane, married William B. Green. HELP!! I'm trying to sort this all out.

Re: Native American Stokes

Gerald Stokes (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2005 2:08AM GMT
Surnames: stokes
Yours is probably a different Mary E. Stokes, Henry had 10 brothers and there were some other Stokes' from the same area that moved into central Gerogia about the same time that my Henry moved into North Fla. and South Ga. I'll check some and get back to you. But more than likely this is a different person. It gets confusing doesn't it? Have you tried to check on a Young Stokes? He moved through central Georgia in that time. Just be glad you aren't researching a Sylvanus Stokes, there were quite a few of them.

Gerald Stokes

Re: SC/Ga/Fl Stokes and Indians

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: glass stokes
my ggrandmother was a cherokee indian from alabama. her name was eva ola glass, and she married lorenzo columbus stokes. she was born in 1886 and died in 1929. i have her photo.they had a large family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions