Search for content in message boards

George Elias Thompson, Cleveland, Ohio

George Elias Thompson, Cleveland, Ohio

Posted: 19 Apr 2005 2:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thompson
Hello,

I am desperatly seeking information about a "lost" family member. George Elias Thompson. Elias may or may not be his middle name. He married Bertha Belle Humphrey in 1890 and they lived in and around Cleveland, Ohio. They had five children:
Glen Clifford Thompson - 1893
Leon Charles Thompson - October 18, 1915
Edith Marie Thompson - August 02, 1896
Blanche Mildred Thompson - April 30, 1905
Irvin Clifford Thompson - December 27, 1898 (my grandpa).

He left Bertha Belle at some point after 1915 and rumor had it he died at the Sandusky Soliders' and Sailor's Home in Sandusky, Ohio (I think that's in Logan County).
So I assume he must have been a vetern of some sort.

Family rumors also have it that George Thompson was Canadian or that maybe his relatives were.

I can find NO record of him anywhere, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.. Thanks so much, - Dan

Re: George Elias Thompson, Cleveland, Ohio

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 5:54AM GMT
Dan,

June 21, 1900 Seneca County, Greenspring (Adams Twp)

Thompson George head June 1870 29 m9yrs OH OH OH
Bertha wife Jan 1869 30 m9yrs OH OH OH
Glen son Feb 1893 7 OH OH OH
Edith daug Aug 1896 3 OH OH OH
Ervin son Dec 1898 1 OH OH OH

April 22, 1910 Marion County, Marion City Ohio

Thompson George head 41 OH OH OH
Bertha wife 40 OH OH OH
Glen son 17 OH OH OH
Edith daug 13 OH OH OH
Irvin son 11 OH OH OH
Blanche daug 4 OH OH OH

in 1920 Cuyahoga County, Cleveland

Thompson Bertha head 52 div OH OH OH
Edith daug 24 OH OH OH trimmer auto factory
Irvin son 21 OH OH OH driver dairy
Blanche daug 14 OH OH OH
Leon son 7 OH OH OH
Dorothy grandchild 4 1/12mo. OH OH OH

George didn't list himself as a veteran in either census. Sandusky Soldiers Home is in Erie County. From what their site says on June 25, 1952 they opened a nursing home, anyone collecting SS benefits, or any type of disability benefit could reside there.

In 1880 Bertha is in Vermillion, Erie County with her parents, there is a Thompson family in Erie County with a son George, born in 1870.

If you know about when George passed it might help find something else. Ohio has online death certificate index at www.ohiohistory.org for deaths 1913-1937. Death index on ancestry for deaths 1958-2000. Cleveland library has obits, deaths published at www.cpl.org Bertha's and Irvin's are there.

Chris

Posted: 24 Apr 2005 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
Thanks Chris,
That is more information that I have been able to find out. I'm still really new at this and haven't learned all the good websites to look at yet. This at least gives me a birth year to begin to wittle down the MANY George Thompsons that appear on census lists, etc. If you have any additional information I would love to hear from you. Otherwise Thank you very much! - Dan

Sandra Sorensen (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2005 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: THOMPSON--------MARK ( MARKS )
I saw your post and and wondered if there could be any possibility that our Thompson familiy's being connected. All that I know of my g.g.grandmother Edith ( Edy ) Thompson she was born abt. 1811 in Ohio. She married Jacob Mark (Marks ) August 10, 1834 in Athens Co., Ohio. 1852 they lived in Monroe Co., 1860 & 1870 Madison Co., Iowa. The last I have been able to find them is in 1880 Jacob age 69 and Edith age 68 in Illinois, Washington Co., AK. I know this is a long shot but there is a lot of common names and I have really hit a brick wall finding Edith Thompson's family. One of the census did state that her parents were from Ireland.

Posted: 29 Apr 2005 5:24AM GMT
Sandra,

Have you tried searching the Thompson families in Athens County that are there in 1850. There are a few older Thompson's who resided there in 1850 that listed Ireland as their birthplace, who are old enough to be her parents.

Due to her birth of abt 1811, the only place you are going to find her parents are either on a birth record or her death record, or possibly a will.

You might try a Athens County volunteer, from their local society's homepage, not the message board, or write their local society for information. Since she married in Athens County, more than likely her family was there.

That was the only way I found some early records in some of my lines.

Chris

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions