Search for content in message boards

Looking for my mother's half sister

Looking for my mother's half sister

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 10:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
Looking for Belinda Smith, daughter of Wanda Smith, and Amos Lawrence Smith, formerly of Salem, Virginia USA. My mother is aging and desperately would like to connect with Belinda. Belinda's father, Lawrence died when Belinda was a toddler. He was employed by Burlington Mills.

Re: Looking for my mother's half sister

Posted: 3 Jul 2013 8:44AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2013 8:44AM GMT
Please explain what the connection with South Africa is - or did you just sent a generic post to all country boards?

Good luck with your search

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 2:52PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2013 3:07PM GMT
Wanda Belinda SMITH was apparently living in South Africa on Sep 25 1966 when her father (a US citizen) died there.

They were living at 3 Minlu Court, Alexander Road, Miuizenberg in Cape Province with her mother Wanda Lee SMITH.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1616/31093_170708-00494/45...

According to Amos's obituary, Belinda may have been call Linda.
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/28794488/person/12906686363...

There are at least 3 family trees on Ancestry that contain Amos Lawrence SMITH. You might want to try contacting the tree owners via Ancestry, to see if they have any information on Belinda.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&...

Good luck!

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 7:33PM GMT
I know that this relative was born in Cape Town in 1963. My grandfather, Amos Lawrence Smith, moved to Africa to work at Burlington Industries. He remarried while in South Africa, and had a child. My mother is 76 years old and desperately wants to find Wanda Belinda Smith who was born on Nov. 13, 1963.

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 8:55PM GMT
Mr. Wynne, When searching for a person born in Cape Town, and I receive a link to ancestry UK, does this mean that the person for whom I am searching is no longer in South Africa? Or is this because those early records in1963 were published when South Africa was part of UK?
One more question, when I search for UK travel registries, the records seem to stop at 1960. How can i access records after that time. My mother's half sister, Linda Smith would have traveled with her mother, Wanda Lee Smith somewhere after Amos Smith's death in 1966 . As both parents were US citizens, I have thought Wanda might have brought Linda to the US.
Thank you for your help. I so hope I can find Linda for my mother.

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 8:07AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2013 8:11AM GMT
Did you try the links?

The links I suggested are actually to US family trees on Ancestry and a US document regarding Amos's death on Ancestry that I found on one of the trees.
They have nothing to do with the UK, as far as I know.
I just happen to be a member of Ancestry via Ancestry.co.uk, but have a worldwide membership.

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 8:51AM GMT
This might be her, if she is now married, and back living in the US.

A Wanda Belinda Bowers, born 13 Nov 1963, was living at 457 Heavitree CT, Stone Mountain, GA, 30083-4548 in 1993, and 408 Terrace St, Griffin, GA, 30224-4317 in 1995.

Her last known address was 571 Locust Rd, Locust Grove, GA, 30248-4530.

You can get her telephone number online.

Let me know how you get on.

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 11:33AM GMT
I've sent you more info via a personal message via Ancestry.

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 1:03PM GMT
Just to add a point. South Africa was never "part of the UK". Until c.1901, the South African (Boer) War, there were two independent Afrikaans (Boer) Republics, Transvaal and the Orange Free State, and two colonial Provinces, Cape Colony and Natal administered from London. After settling the problems which had caused the hostilities (more or less!) the Union of South Africa was created in 1910, a fully independent Dominion within the British Empire, owing allegiance to the English Monarch, formed of four provinces, Transvaal, Orange Free State, Natal and the Cape Province. This was ended c.1961 when the then Afrikaans government declared a Republic and left the British Commonwealth (Empire). No records would have been kept in England after 1910, except for the usual diplomatic contacts. Prior to that date, people born in the two "English" colonies would have been British subjects, after 1910 they were simply South African.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic