Search for content in message boards

Need Help with Neil Murray Fumerton

Need Help with Neil Murray Fumerton

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 2:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Oct 2012 11:01AM GMT
Surnames: Fumerton, Alfredsdotter, Anderson
I hoping someone can help me with death dates for the following two relatives:

Neil Murray Fumerton born ? November 1866 in Carleton, Ontario, Canada. I believe he died before 1949 in Fort William, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.

His wife was: Augusta Alfredsdotter "Anderson" born 13 September 1870 in Honerud, Gunnarsnäs, Älvsborg, Sweden and probably died in Fort William, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada after 1949.

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Need Help with Fumerton's

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 4:22AM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 20 Jan 2013 3:14PM GMT

Re: Need Help with Fumerton's

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 5:40AM GMT
Surnames: Fummerton
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 27 Jan 2013 6:56PM GMT

Re: Need Help with Neil Murray Fumerton

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:36PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 6:58PM GMT
Hi there,

Part of the confusion is that Neil changed the spelling of his name to Fummerton in the 1930s. Neil was the patriarch of the Fummertons in the Thunder Bay area. He passed away in 1939. Neil married Augusta 9th June 1892 in Port Arthur.

Neil met Augusta when he was hauling freight to mines west of the Lakehead where her father, a hard rock miner, managed various mines (Beaver Mine, Badger Mine & Silver Mountain Mine)

Neil moved to the Lakehead in 1880s and worked with his father as a miner in small mines in the islands off Thunder Bay.

Best of luck

Stew

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:13PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 7:03PM GMT
Hi Stew,

That is a great story and makes perfect sense since Augus's father and older brother, Anders Gustaf "August" Anderson were miners. Can I ask how u found this information? The reason I ask is because I have been trying to find what happened to Augusta's older brother. I know the family moved to Butte, Montana and Augusta and her husband stayed in Canada (I have all that info). I am pretty sure the brother did too and died somewhere between 1891-1900. Can u give me any pointers on where to look? I've checked census, emailed the gen society, etc.

Thanks again for the great story. It was very kind of u!

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 4:17PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 7:03PM GMT
Hi there Catherine,

My info came from a grandson of Neil and Augusta some 10 years ago when I researched the Fumerton story. Many of the Thunder Bay Fummertons are buried in the Mountain View Cemetery which I have not visited. This is needed to get 'recent' vital statistics. At that time I researched the official vital statistic microfilm records in the Ontario Archives office in Toronto. Some of these records have been transcribed onto the internet by various genelogical groups but there are many typo errors in these transcriptions, especially of non anglo saxon names. Leading to lots of confusion.
Cheers

Stew

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 8:35PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 7:05PM GMT
Stew, I just saw your post now. Do you mind me asking you who the grandson was? I have quite a bit of Fumerton info as they are my 3rd, 4th and 5th cousins.

Are you related?

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 4:10AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 7:04PM GMT
Hi there Catherine,

A simple statement to start: all Fumertons and Fummertons in North America are decendents from one couple (John Fumerton & Mary Frew) who emmigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1821 and were settled in Lanark County, Ontario.

Three other Fumerton couples subsequently emmigrated to Canada/USA. James a younger brother of John who also settled in Lanark county but all his sons were killed in farming/logging accidents as very young men with no issue. William who emmigrated from the Scotish borders and for a short while settled in Ontario but then migrated to the NWT and 'vanished'. The last Fumerton to emmigrate was Mathew who moved to Massachusett with a son and a daughter but that trail turned cold shortly after his arrival in the New World.

As for who gave me the info on the Thunder Bay Fummertons, I will have to cantact the gentleman as I promised not to spread info on the Internet when I did my research. This to preserve privacy.

Cheers

Stew

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 3:25AM GMT
I respect that and thank you again Stew!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions