Search for content in message boards

DNA - Overseas Dilemma

DNA - Overseas Dilemma

Posted: 6 Jun 2014 5:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
I live in Taiwan and Ancestry.com doesn't ship their DNA kit here. I was thinking of having a kit shipped to my brother, who lives in the US and asking him to take the test instead, since we have the same biological parents. However, he isn't an Ancestry.com user. Would I be able to link his results in my tree? If so, is this complicated? My brother isn't much interested in genealogy so I don't think he would be up to doing much beyond providing the sample and mailing it in.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: DNA - Overseas Dilemma

Posted: 6 Jun 2014 1:19PM GMT
Yes, lots of people order kits for family members to take but manage the results themselves. Your brother will just have to give you the kit activation code when he receives the kit. You will enter that number and then have the option to select "this is someone else's DNA", as well as select him in your tree to link to the kit: http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5489/kw/DNA...

Re: DNA - Overseas Dilemma

Posted: 10 Jun 2014 12:49PM GMT
Also in the future if you would like to get your own results have the test shipped to your brother then he could forward it to you. Then when you send it back to Ancestry there will be additional postage needed from where you are to them. Even though you both share the same parents you will inherit different amounts of their dna. I found in testing my brother and myself that yes we got some of the same dna in different amounts but also, I received dna that my brother did not get and the same for him.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions