Search for content in message boards

How can I get to OLD Search-can't find anything now

How can I get to OLD Search-can't find anything now

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 11:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone tell me how to get to the OLD search? This morning I can only see the new search and I can not find anything. It takes an act of congress to get to 1880 Federal Census for Alabama, then I can't even search by just one county.

The "new and improved" search is stinky, in my opinion.

Re: How can I get to OLD Search-can't find anything now

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 1:08PM GMT
Go to the main search page, which you may want to bookmark in your browser:

http://www.ancestry.com/search/default.aspx

scroll waaaaay over to the right and look for a small-typeface link just below the navigation bar. If it says "old search" click on it to ~go to~ Old Search. When you are in OldSearch you can use the link in the same place (which will say "New Search") to switch.

They used to have this link on most search pages but removed it -- probably to try to force people to use the default NewSearch.

If you are on any Ancestry-side page (databases or message boards, but not blogs) you can always find the global search page with the link by clicking on the Search link in the main navigation bar.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 8:07PM GMT
Thanks for this information. However, when I click on old search, it still will not let me search the way I was searching yesterday.

Maybe someone can tell me how to search for all N. Jones' in the 1880 Census for Crenshaw, Alabama--without digging through every county.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 8:15PM GMT
Best way for a specific Census enumeration search is to search the specific database.

Click on the general search page to be in Old Search mode. Then go to the Census enumeration database list:

http://search.ancestry.com/group/usfedcen/US+Federal+Census+...

Bookmark it!

Note that the link above the large-type listing title will take you to a much longer list of all Census and supposedly related listings, including what State enumerations are available on Ancestry.com.

Note that on the general search page there is a list of links on the right sidebar section that links to the Census list.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 8:33PM GMT
One limitation of both Old and New search is that you can search for "N. Jones" as an exact way the name occurs, but not for all firstnames beginning with 'N' only. You will get a variety of firstnames accompanied by the initial 'N' somewhere in the name.

The present (improved) version of the wild-card usage is that for names you need to have at least 3 letters in addition to an * or ? wild-card.

If in Old Search you search just for "Jones" in Crenshaw Co., Alabama and make it exact, you will get a non-alphabetized list of those enumerated in Crenshaw Co., arranged by estimated year of birth. The three pages of listings at 50 per page are not all that hard to scroll through.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 9:27PM GMT
I can get to the old search form (although all reference to it is now gone from my home page) but all results are being returned in the new search format and with total disregard of any restrictions placed on it.

I really thought folks had made it clear that when they put an 1894 "exact" death date they didn't want to see one from 1954 or 1978 or 1789 and for people whose names don't even resemble that which was searched for.

Cheers,

Jackie

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 10:09PM GMT
"I can get to the old search form (although all reference to it is now gone from my home page) but all results are being returned in the new search format and with total disregard of any restrictions placed on it."

Ancestry.com developed a way to "remember" which Search format you last used, so that when you log in next time you will be in the same format.

This sticky-recall is not governed by cookies you can remove from your computer.

A suggestion to make OldSearch "stick": go to the Search homepage from the Search block in the main navigation bar; click to select OldSearch; go directly to the database you want to search -- don't use the "last database viewed" or other stuff from your so-called Homepage, which may retain the NewSearch format sticky-recall.

Yeah, NewSearch's date-bracketing has problems. Some aspects of OldSearch results do too, if you use a global search or search from Trees instead of searching specific databases.

A lot of work has been done on trying to fix NewSearch global search effectiveness. It still is not really good.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 10:24PM GMT
It never will be very good as long as the software decides we "might" have mistyped a date or decides what relevance is.

Your old search might be sticky - mine isn't no matter where I am or what I do when I close out.

This is a product that is nowhere near ready for a rollout as the main product on Ancestry. Relevance should be overridden when exact is indicated. Software should never predispose to pretend it knows better what is meant than the query that is put to it.

Even with relevance searching I would expect that returned results would at least be somewhat close to what I put in. For instance if I am looking for Adam Smith b. 1900 - and indicate exact - I know I will probably get more than one Adam Smith, but having to sort through tons of Smiths with any other first name born 80 years earlier is a bit much and basically makes the search almost useless. This not only happens to the site as a whole but within specific databases.

My sympathies to new users who don't know where any of the "old stuff" is when it does work, probably don't know where the card catalog is and are going to be lost using it and who wonder why those leaves aren't pointing to anything useful. (Those leaves and the way they portrayed are a whole other discussion).

Jackie

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 10:35PM GMT
I use old search exclusively and it's working fine for me and has been all along.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 10:38PM GMT
Can you give us more info? The full first name, the town, the date & place of birth?

I'm not having any trouble with my search so I'd be happy to take a look for you.

Jo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions