Search for content in message boards

Elsie Joens Nolan 6 children obituary about 1933

Elsie Joens Nolan 6 children obituary about 1933

Alene Dean (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2002 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Joens,Nolan,
I would like to be able to obtain some Crawford county obituaries.
I have a family story about 1933 Elsie died commited suicide taking her 6 children with her by Carbon Monoxide, it is believed that when her husband, Albert Nolan, wouldn't leave a bar and drank his wages away, leaving family at home cold and hungry.
They are buried in Denison, Crawford, Iowa. They should be buried with, or near her parents Henry & Elma Joens.
Alene Dean

Re: Elsie Joens Nolan 6 children obituary about 1933

Posted: 12 May 2002 9:28PM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2002 5:22PM GMT
All I have is Henry Joens and his first wife, Mary Huskey and their 4 kids; Velma b 1908, Elmer b 1918, and Orville b 1922. I have no birthdate for Elsie, but heard the same story. Shall we swap gedcoms?

AF

Re: Elsie Joens Nolan 6 children obituary about 1933

Posted: 12 May 2002 10:46PM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2005 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Joens, Schroeder
Yes, I've seen the newspaper clipping about this in a family scrapbook. It included photos of the home and the window (I believe) that had the piping connected to it for the carbon monoxide. We will be home in Crawford County in June and I can locate this article for you and photocopy it if you like. It's at an uncle's house.

It's amazing the things they printed all those years ago, and folks think today's press is too graphic. The family scrapbook was put together by my husband's grandmother and some of the stories from the 20's and 30's almost leave you speechless.

Well, as I said, I'll locate that for you in June if you don't hear from anyone else. I'll also email you the Schroeder/Joens family info you requested in the next few days, when I have a few more minutes to sit here at the computer.

I got photos of this news clipping

Posted: 21 Aug 2002 6:18AM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2005 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Nollen, Joens
Alene, can you email me when you have time with your postal address. I have some photos from the news clippings about this incident. It includes photos of the house, the funeral, and even a family portrait. No obituary though.

Here's one of the articles:
Curious Crowd Around Father
Mrs. Nollen's Love of Family Told

DENISON, IA- Approximately 3,000 persons - curious and sympathetic- stood attendtively for almost two hours in the scorching sun here Tuesday to hear the eulogy of Mrs. Albert Nollen and her six children.

The large assembly heard the Rev. L. M. Grigsby pay tribute to a mother's love.

Saturday night Mrs. Nollen turned her farm home into a death chamber by piping deadly monoxide gas from the family car into the house killing herself and six children.

In a six page note Mrs. Nollen explained the action by saying, "I am doing this because I can see that this family si not going to be raised up right..." Mrs. Nollen also wrote that her husband drank excessively.

Inside the funeral home stood seven caskets in a row. Seated among the relatives, who crowded all available space sat the husband and father of the victims, Albert Nollen. Throughout the ceremony he maintained a stoic expression. Only once did he wince visibly, then when the Rev. Mr. Grigsby generalized on the evil of drink.

After the servicees the crowd surged around the doorway leading into chapel and passed in single file by the coffins. Many of the women came out of the exit weeping profusely. During the forenoon, about 2000 persons visited the chapel to view the bodies.

Five hearses were needed to bear the bodies from the funeral home to Lutheran cemetery for burial. As the 30 pallbearers came out of the chapel bearing the caskets, officials had to open a lane through the crowd.

When Nollen appeared, the lane narrowed considerably as people surged forward to see the husband. He stood a moment then walked unassisted through the crowd to his car.

Elsie Nollen was 30 years old. The children were:
Orvin, 11
Wilbert, 10
Pauline, 7
Earl, 6
Leona, 4
Viola, 2

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mykidsfamily/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic