Search for content in message boards

Thamar Taylor Duke

Thamar Taylor Duke

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jan 2012 4:54PM GMT
I need information on an ancestor by the name of Thamar Taylor Duke b. 1703 in Brunswick, Virginia and d. Aug. 1737 in Brusnwick, VA. Found on a public story that she was Indian and found on Google that she might be full-blooded Saponi Indian. She married William Raleigh Duke b. 1701 d. 1775 in Brunswick, VA. Have several questions about Thamar.

Is she really Indian? If so, then who are her Indian parents? Was she adopted by James Duke and his wife, Mary Byrd? Was either James or Mary Indian? Is the name Thamar a Saponi name and Taylor her English name or is Taylor her last name? If it's her last name, then why is it listed that James and Mary (Byrd) Duke are her parents?

Again, I am trying to find out how the person got the information about Thamar Taylor being a full Saponi Indian. Any answers or information to my questions would be helpful. Thanks.

Laura Martinez

lmartinez65807@yahoo.com

Re: Thamar Taylor Duke

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 7:09PM GMT
Surnames: Thamar Duke
My name is Bob Upton and Thamar Duke is a distant relative on wilbanks side of family-I do ancestry research and a lady sent me a message on ancestry that Thamar was a Saponi indian from NC--any info is appreciated

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 4:56PM GMT
Do you know who this lady was? If you have her e-mmail address, I would like to have it because I would like to know where she got her information was? Do you know the name of the lady? I'd like to e-mail her some questions about where she got her information from and where I can find it. Thanks a bunch.

L.Martinez

lmartinez65807@yahoo.com

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 7:48PM GMT
sorry I don't know who she was--but like you I wonder if she was adopted since there was not much info found-Thanks bob Upton

Posted: 9 Nov 2013 2:40AM GMT
Surnames: Thamor Duke
Try the website "Searching for Saponitown". You will have to join in order to participate. There are literally thousands of threads. Lots of NC/VA information. It is a little hard to navigate at first but just keep looking around. Very informative and educational.
Marilyn

Posted: 4 Dec 2013 3:12PM GMT
I am a descendant of this line of Dukes. Thamar/Tamar Taylor's origins are unknown to me. I do not even know how "Taylor" was assigned as her last name. However, I do know that Tamar/Thamar is not a Native American name. It is the name of a river that divides Cornwall from Devon in England. The name appears in a number of unrelated lines in the 1600's and early 1700's in Virginia, perhaps serving as an indicator of ancestry from this region of England.

The relationship to James Duke and Mary Byrd is unproven as far as I know, though members of this family married into prominent families. For example, Tamar Duke, daughter of William Duke and Thamar Taylor, married William Wortham of the prominent Henrico Worthams. This may be irrelevant. However, Nancy Wortham, daughter of William Wortham and Tamar Duke, married William Marshall and had a daughter, Mary "Polly" Green Marshall, who married Spotswood Burwell, grandson of Governor Alexander Spotswood. A connection to the Dukes of James City County and the Byrds of Charles City County is possible -- but still unproven.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions