Search for content in message boards

Phillips, Montgomery, Stewart, Bailey, Culley, Kennedy

Culley/Bailey

Posted: 16 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: Culley, Bailey
I found your query on the Ont Genweb. Were your grandparents Edith Mae "Laura" (nee Culley) and William Bailey? If they are than our grandparents were sister. My grandmother's name was Mary "Maud" (nee Culley); she married James William Yeates. I'm not sure I can held you with the Bailey side of the family, except to give what might be contacts. If you want information on the Culleys, well, that I know. Laura and Maud's grandparents, Robert and Harriet (nee Bennett) Culley came from England in 1851 and lived in Toronto for 5!/2 years before moving to Jura in Bosanquet Township. There's more and dates if you want them. Let me know.
Regards,
Maxine McBryan
Forest, Ontario

Phillips, Montgomery, Stewart, Bailey, Culley, Kennedy

Ellwood Phillips (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Montgomery, Stewart, Bailey, Culley, Kennedy
My oldest Phillips ancestors are Christopher and Ann Phillips, c.1800. They were from Ireland I believe, maybe Fermanaugh Co..They emmigrated to Canada about 1838-1840, and settled near Ottawa. Their son William Francis Phillips, 1884-1925, moved from Wolford, Ont. to Watford, Ont. and Married Caroline Stewart, 1843-1920. They only had two children that lived to adulthood, Mabel (Clark) Phillips, 1875-1927, and Ellwood Stewart Phillips,1882-1941(after whom I am named), m. Violet Mabel Montgomery, 1884?-1970.They eventually lived and died in the Sarnia, Ont. area.I cannot find the actual birth date of Violet. I think it is , 31 Oct. 1884, in N. Gower, Ont.
My Bailey family came from Yorkshire, England in about 1843, at Georgetown, Ont. and then to Bosanquet, Ont. and eventually to Sarnia, Ont.One of the early Bailey ancestors married a Kennedy. My Granmother Bailey was a Culley.

In search of my roots.

Patricia Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Montgomey
My grandfather was a canadian and his name was Peter Montgomery.He was born in Jasper Park Alberta,in 1914 he lived out the remainder of his life in Toronto,Ontario.He died last yr at the age of 83.He did have brothers and sisters,their names I have no idea.His fathers name I believe to be Henry Montgomery and that maybe short for William?If anyone out there may know anyhing at all to add to my search I would be greatly appreciated.In 1935-1940 he met my grandmother Lois gertrude Ross,settled and had five children 20 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren.He was in the 2nd world war and the gap I am trying to fill is 1914-1940 plus to find out if there are any surviving aunts,uncles,or cousins!Sincerly Patricia Montgomery.

In search of my roots!

Patricia Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Montgomery
My name is Patricia Montgomery and have been in search of my roots.My grandad's name was Peter Montgomery and he was born in Jasper Park Alberta,in 1914 and died in Guelph,Ontario in Feb.1997 at the age of 83 yrs.He did have sibblings there names I have know idea though I believe his father's name to be William Montgomery or Henry Montgomery.Anyone knowing anything at all that might assist me with this search would be greatly appreciated.Sincerly Patricia Montgomery.

STEWART/PHILLIPS

Paul Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Phillips
Looking for any information on John Watson Stewart. His parents are believed to be Sophilia Berlinda PHILLIPS and James Lorence STEWART. James was born Abt. 1866.
John was born December 6, 1880 in Ottowa, Canada, later migrated to the U.S.

Stewart/Phillips

Posted: 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 May 2002 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Phillips
In response to your query: This is probably coincidence as I do not recognize the given names in your query BUT I also descend from Phillips & Stewart. My Gr.Grandparents settled in Lorraine, Jefferson County, NY in late 1800's. John Phillips was b. 1858, Mary Ann Stewart b. 1852. I know they came from Canada. Some places that I have heard mentioned are Athens, Kemptville, Tin Cap. Does any of this connect for you? I have very limited info and would be delighted to share what I have. Sincerely Diana J. Law

Phillips/Stewart

Posted: 26 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Stewart, Bailey, Culley
Hello Diana,

I have a John Phillips, b. 1838 in Fermanagh Ireland. His Family Emmigrated to Canada around 1839 and settled in Wolford Twp. near Merrickville, Ontario. All I know of John is that it was mentioned in his fathers Will that he had moved to Massachusets. I am descended from his brother, William Francis Phillips, b.1844, d. 1925, m. Caroline Stewart, b. 1844, d. 1920

Phillips/Stewart

Posted: 15 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Stewart
Hi Diana,

I would really like to have some more information from you, on your John Phillips, b.1858, and Mary Ann Stewart, b. 1852. You mentioned Kemptville and Tincap in your reply to me. Well Kemptville and Merrickville(Where my John Phillips was born) are both on Highway #43, just east of Smith Falls, Ont. in the Grenville district. I believe that there is a strong likelyhood that we may have a connection here. Tincap is south of here.

Ellwood Phillips

Phillips/Stewart

Posted: 16 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 May 2002 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Stewart, Lago
Dear Elwoood:

I see that you responded not once but twice. I did not get notification of your first response so am glad that you persisted.

Have just looked up Merrickville on the map and see that you have good instincts. I too feel there may something more than coincidence. Other areas that I am aware of in Ontario, Canada are Lyn and Glen Buell. Are these familiar?

I do not have extensive info, have never researched these lines so what I have is family record or lore.

John's father was Peter Phillips, his mother Angie/Angeline Lago/Lagoe depending on whose handwriting you are reading. A list of this couple and their twelve children is commonly found in members of our family from NY to FL. There are years of birth but no places of birth and no additional info for any of the individuals.

Have always been told that Mary Ann Stewart's parents came from Ireland and Scotland and married in Canada. Have no records to support this. Have no clue where the Phillips line originated as yet but intend to pursue this soon.

I know that the Stewart's and Phillips were well known for their ability to make good cheese. My mother told me that Mary Ann taught many to make cheese. Whether she taught the Phillips the art, I cannot say, however that has always been my assumption.

SOME SPECULATION: Your John being born in 1838 could possibly be sibling or cousin to my Peter born 1827.

QUESTION: If your John came from Fermanagh, Ireland, do you know where he emmigated to? What would have been his port of entry?

In closing let me say that it is exciting to have this possibility of working with someone on this most illusive line. Channels of info within my own family were closed long ago due to an unfortunate estrangement that preceded my generation. Welcome aboard Elwood. Oh, yes, if I can find a time slot, I would like to travel to Canada this year and do some hands on research. Will be anxious to hear whether or not you feel there is a connection. Diana J. Law

LAGO surname

Benieve Lago Wenner (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LAGO, PRATO
Dear Diana,

I have researched my LAGO descendants back to Jefferson Co., N.Y.. Family lore says that my Grgrgrandparents, Christopher and Angeline LAGO were born in Canada, possibly in Lambton Co. Ontario. It appears that this may have been a second marriage as Angeline was 12 years younger than Chrisopher. Going through the 1840 through 1860 censuses for Jefferson Co, N.Y., it appears that they had eight children between 1820 and 1848. The only names I have for their children are Philip, born about 1825, Benjamin (my grgrandfather), born about 1835 and Christy A., born about 1848. It is very possible that they had a daughter named Angeline as several daughters were listed in the 1840 Census.

My Grgrandfather, Benjamin married Mary Jane Prato in Watertown, Jeff. Co. in 1860, fought in the Civil War for N.Y. and then they moved on to Michigan, ending up in Midland, Saginaw, and Bay counties.

Do you think we have a link here? I think there is a good possibility that our families are connected somewhere. I would be very happy to share information. Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Beni Lago Wenner
per page

Find a board about a specific topic