Jens Peter Thomsen

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 7:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thomsen, Svendsen,
This post was deleted by the author on 5 Jul 2012 8:27PM GMT

Re: Jens Peter Thomsen

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 3:46PM GMT
I don't think we have the same Thomsen family. My grandfather was Severinus Johannsen Thomsen and was born in 1868 in schleswig-Holstein, Germany. It was under German control at that time. His father was Mathias Madsen Thomsen and his father was Thomas Mathiasen and his father was Mathias Madsen. They lived in Haderslev,Fros,Sonder Hygum,Denmark. My grandfather settled in Troy, New York which is upstate, NY.

If any of these names sound familiar please contact me. My email address is wic36@aol.com

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 4:15PM GMT
No, we aren't related. I forgot to mention that Jens's father was Thomas Pearson. His mother's name remains unknown.

Do you happen to know places in Denmark called Freslau or Freslou and Island of Sallaud?

Thanks

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 8:17PM GMT
No I never heard of them but I found out that a lot of villages no longer exist or they changed their names. I found a helpful web site Statens Arkivalier online website.

Good luck

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 8:49PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2012 8:49PM GMT
A few possibilities:

There's a Frøslev parish in Præstø Amt (which happens to be on the island of 'Själland')

also a Frøslev parish in Thisted Amt (on Jutland)
also a Frøslev in Bov parish in Åbenrå (in the area that was sometimes under Prussian/German control and considered part of Schleswig)

(and just as an aside - I saw that on Jens Thomsen's Illinois death record it does give his father's name as 'Thomas Pearson' - which would be a rather unlikely Danish surname. Not unheard of, but you'd be more likely to find even the Swedish Pehrson or Persson there.... Have you considered that whoever transcribed the record might not have been able to read it well and tried other surnames- like Pedersen or Petersen perhaps? Just a thought...)

J Murphy

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 2:59PM GMT
YOU MADE MY DAY!!!

I am new to this. These are the answers I've been looking for. I didn't know Pearson may not be a Danish name. I need to remind myself that people might have written wrong name different from it's original name.

I am not familiar with name of places in Denmark: old city name, changed or current. Odd, I have a pen pal in Denmark and apparently, she isn't familiar with Froslev.

Do you speak Danish or do you use Danish translation thingy?

Can you be my mentor on this whole Danish/Denmark thingy, please?

And can I say I love you? ;)

Pagan

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 12:28AM GMT

In this case I found the info at http://www.krabsen.dk/stednavnebase/

It's a database of place names in Denmark.

...and I don't know that I know enough to be anyone's mentor, but will help if I can. I did already take a quick look at the parish records from several of the places I mentioned - but didn't find a Jens Peter Thomsen born between 1859 and 1861 in any of them :(

Do you have any other information? Did Jens have any siblings that you know of? A birth date for him? Have you found him on a passenger list? Or....???

J Murphy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic