Search for content in message boards

Anyone able to decipher the occupation here please

Anyone able to decipher the occupation here please

Posted: 28 May 2013 1:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brevitt
Is anyone able to decipher the occupation for one of my relatives here please?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1861&...

Amy is 82 years old on this census and as her occupation it says:
''Formerly China to x ''

And I have no clue what it says or what it means!
I had thought maybe it didn't say China at all maybe charw? But it really does look like china

Re: Anyone able to decipher the occupation here please

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 6:23AM GMT
I can't read it either but definitely looks like "formerly China." Could it have to do with china as in tableware, rather than the country? Maybe Amy's occupation involved Staffordshire china, then something else for which the area is known?

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 5:32PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2013 5:35PM GMT
It does look like china but notice that the 'i' does not appear to be dotted. It could be an 'e' instead. I'm not sure that helps since chena doesn't make any sense either but maybe the other letters are wrong too - sometimes, when a word looks so much like one we are familiar with, it's hard to see anything else. But notice that the 'c' looks different to the others on the document - there's no loop at the top.

The first letter of the last word looks like an 'H' to me. Do you know what her husband did? It's possible this is some kind of reference to his profession. What about other census years? Her death record? What does her profession say on those?

Have a browse over this Victorian Occupations list: http://www.census1891.com/occupations.htm - maybe something will click.

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 8:35PM GMT
Hi,
'formerley china and hardware'
maybe she had had a shop?

Regards

Sandra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions