Search for content in message boards

Help - Multiple Low Confidence Matches to same Line

Help - Multiple Low Confidence Matches to same Line

Posted: 9 Jun 2014 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Would appreciate anyone's interpretation on this: I have 5 low-confidence matches to descendants of John Adam Romig through his son, John Frederick. I have one predicted 5-8th cousin match with another descendant of John Adam through his son Joseph. The low-confidence of 5 out of 6 of these matches cause me to wonder if this is coincidental. How likely is it that this indicates a strong probability my gr-gr-grandfather descends from this family as opposed to more likely coincidental? Thanks so much your input.

Re: Help - Multiple Low Confidence Matches to same Line

Posted: 9 Jun 2014 1:08PM GMT
It's very possible but you will need some more information to confirm it. I suggest that you check out a free web site, Gedmatch.com. (It is currently offline for a server relocation but should be up in the next week or two.) You can upload your raw data there and if you can get several of your matches to do the same you can then compare the specific chromosome segments on which you match. If you all match on the same segment then you can be pretty confident that you have a common ancestor.

There is a good rundown on how to do this in this guide:

https://sites.google.com/site/wheatonsurname/beginners-guide...

Jim

Re: Help - Multiple Low Confidence Matches to same Line

Posted: 9 Jun 2014 6:58PM GMT
Thanks so much for that helpful reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic