Search for content in message boards

Looking for a burial site

Looking for a burial site

Robert A. Latimer (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Latimer
Hello All,

I'm desperately hoping that some kind soul down there in Ar. can help me find the burial site of a long misplaced member of my LATIMER clan. I'm searching for any and all information available on one Wetherell LATIMER b. 03-18-1757 in New London, Ct., d. 10-26-1838 in Pope Co., Ar.. The birth and death dates might be off, as I've yet to confirm them, but they should be close.

Wetherell LATIMER fought in the R.W. under his father, Col. Jonathan LATIMER of the Connecticut Militia, 3rd Regiment. Wetherell's family moved from Ct. to Tn. in 1790 and Wetherell moved on to Pope Co.. The record that I have is that he makes application for transfer of his Revolutionary War pension on 09-07-1837 from Pope Co..

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! I live in St. Louis, Mo., and would be very happy to do look ups here for anyone who needs them done and that can help me in any way.

Thanks in advance,
Robert A. Latimer
St. Louis, Mo.
Robert_A_Latimer@hotmail.com

Witherel Latimer

Posted: 19 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2001 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: LATIMER, GWIN
I am researching Witherel LATIMER also. I am descended from his son Daniel LATIMER who married Elizabeth GWIN.
Did you ever determine where in Pope Co. that Witherel LATIMER is buried?
Larry Hallstrom

Re: Looking for a burial site

Posted: 12 Nov 2002 9:30AM GMT
Surnames: Latimer, Ledford, Denton, Bomar, & Boroughs
Your Wetherall Latimer is an ancestor of my grandmother, Mattie Ophelia Latimer. My research agrees with the birth and death dates that you have, and also confirms his father as Col. Johnathan Latimer. The Latimers moved to Sumner and Obion Counties in Tennessee. I can't tell you where Wetherall is buried, but I can tell you who is likely to know. Contact Jane Powell at Tennessee Family Tree <janep@pchnet.com>, or wdlatimer <blatimer@aros.net>, or F. Paessler <fpaessle@bellsouth.net, or ralph roberts <ralph@abooks.com>. There is also a Griswold Weatheral Latimer in the records, with the same birth and death dates, and presumably is the same person. Good Luck, and let me know what you find. Glenda

MollieStinson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2003 3:29PM GMT
Robert, you and I have corresponded before. Did you ever find any information on where Witherel Latimer is buried in Pope County, AR? We are planning a short trip to Arkansas this Wednesday and I want to look for traces of him. Where does your date for his death come from? Thanks for any help you can give. Mollie Stinson

Witheral Latimer Burial Site

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: LATIMER FITCH
Hello Robert,
Have you ever found out more on the burial site for Witherel Latimer?
I did find a short newspaper article about his death, and visited AR a few years ago, but could not find any info about his burial.

On a separate trip to CT, I did find the tombstone of his first wife, Abigail Fitch. It was deteriorating rapidly.
Note my new email address: UVA64LGH@MSN.COM

Larry

Re: Witheral Latimer Burial Site

Posted: 14 Feb 2007 4:13AM GMT
Surnames: latimer wilson hamilton
An article on Robert Wilson in the History of Pope County, Vol. I, places his land north and northeast of Atkins and states that several of Robert’s descendants are buried in Oakland Cemetery, which is located northeast of Adkins. This cemetery is a candidate for Witherel’s burial site. His name does not appear on the list of gravestones, but there are many unmarked graves. Ann Latimer Hamilton and her husband are buried in Baptist Cemetery, Center Valley, Pope County, Arkansas. This is another candidate. But the best candidate may be the Center Point Cumberland Presbyterian Church, formerly called the Gumlog Cumberland Presbyterian Church, located at Gumlog, where Witheral’s relatives settled. As a long-time leader in this denomination, it would be very logical for him to be buried in its cemetery. I’m not sure there even is a cemetery at this church, but it is worth checking out.

--John F. Wilson

Posted: 14 Feb 2007 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Latimer
Wetheral was the Father of my GGGG Grandmother-JANE LATIMER WILSON
I have the copy of his records and thought I had a picture of the headstone-must be mixed with someone else but all I can confirm is he is buried in Pope Co-probably
No, the pictures I have are of other Latimers.
I would be happy to share with you any information I have on the Latimer family
Write me

Carol WIlson Lopez
meanded.us@verizon.net
Calif.

Posted: 16 Feb 2007 3:21PM GMT
I can not answer your question concerning Wetherel but did want to share with you that in March 1977 there was 16 pages of Latimer family info published in our Pope Co. Historical Quarterly. If you do not have this and want a copy you can order it from our library.

Re: Witheral Latimer Burial Site

Posted: 2 Mar 2007 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: WILSON
I (Carol Wilson Lopez) answered you about the Latimer line but forgot to ask how are you related to the Wilson line??

Please write direct if you want to

Carol
meanded.us@verizon.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic