Search for content in message boards

John Bell Hood

John Bell Hood

Deborah Hood Brown (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2000 2:35PM GMT
I am searching for information on John Bell Hood (Confederate General) who was born in Owingsville, KY in 1831. My father was always told that he was an ancestor, but the relation between his children, who were born in New Orleans, LA, and our family of Birmingham, AL, has been lost, if it did exist. John Bell Hood was married to Anna Marie Hennen after the Civil War ended. I believe they had 10 children. Hood, his wife and some of the children died in the New Orleans yellow fever epidemic of 1879. Any information on Hood's surviving children would be helpful.
Posted: 31 Dec 2000 9:28AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 2:30AM GMT
Unfortunately, many many HOOD researchers in the southern US mistakenly think that they are related to the General.

Why not post what you know about your ancestry (names and dates of your parents, grandparents, etc.) and maybe someone will recognize your branch.

I have AL ancestors named HOOD, in Blount Co. and Cherokee Co.

Gen. John Bell Hood relationship

Posted: 31 Dec 2000 3:22PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2001 12:35AM GMT
My Hood relatives were from St. Clair, Winston and Lawrence Counties, AL. Through extensive research, I was able to tie my lines into the Hood lines with which the General is related. I would suggest your taking a look at the book, "The Tunis Hood Family: Its Lineage and Traditions", written by Dellmann O. Hood in 1960. You mentioned your family was located in Birmingham, AL. If you have your family connection back to around 1850 or before, then most likely your ancestor will be found in this book and, therefore, you will discover your connection to the General. I know for a fact this book is located at the Birmingham Public Library (Southern History). Another book about General Hood during the War years is, "The Gallant Hood" written by John P. Dyer in 1950. I purchased a copy at Books-a-Million in 1996.
Posted: 31 Dec 2000 5:42PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 2:30AM GMT
Unfortunately, the Tunis Hood book is full of mistakes. The author did get quite a bit of it right, but he relied too heavily on the research of others without verifying it. General Hood himself wrote in his biography that he was of Scot and Irish descent rather than the Dutch described in that book.

My family is not from Birmingham AL. Rather, the person to whom I was responding has family fromt here. My HOODs were in Blount Co. and Cherokee Co. AL.

Hoods of Alabama

leeann moore (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2001 10:20PM GMT
I have info on James Monroe Hood b 1818 Pickens Co Alabama-- any connection

also William Sylvester Hood b 1846 Pickens co

HOODS IN ALABAMA

SAM HOOD (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2001 8:45AM GMT
I HAVE A GRANDFATHER NAMED JAMES EVAN OR IVAN HOOD FROM BUTLER CO ALA BORN 1888 I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT HIS FATHER WAS IN THE CIVIL WAR AND WAS FROM S.C. ANY INFORMATION WOULD HELP. THANKS

Realation to John Bell Hood

Zula Hood (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2001 8:09PM GMT
I want To know if Zula Hood is related to John Bell Hood.

Re: John Bell Hood

Posted: 30 Jun 2001 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Hood
Here's the names of John's children..... Lydia Marie Hood (who died along with John and his wife), Anna Bell Hood, Ethel Genevieve Hood, John Bell Hood, Duncan Norbert Hood, Marion Marie Hood, Lillian Marie Hood, Odile Musson Hood, Ida Richardson Hood, Oswald Hood, Anna Gertrude Hood. I have the birthdates for all the children, also, if it will help you. You can email me directly at kentuckywild1@hotmail.com.
Hope this helped!

Re: John Bell Hood

Deana Jennings (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2001 5:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a gg granddaughter of Gen John Bell Hood. My g grandmother was Ethel Genevieve Hood which was one of his eleven children. She married Arthur Mansell and they had 8 children one of which was my grandmother Mary Lucille Mansell. They lived and died in Alpharetta, Ga.

Re: reply

Posted: 3 Mar 2002 2:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Dec 2002 4:24PM GMT
Vickie, I am hoping to find some one that has seen my ggrandfather in a cenus or somewhere as they looked in AL. I have no idea where in AL to look. I only know the 1900 cenus for Union Co, MS says he was born in AL. His name was Henry Alonza (or Lonza) Hood. I have no name for his parents. He apparently moved into MS sometime in the early 1890s and married my ggrandmother in Marshall Co, MS, 1893. They appear in the 1900 cenus with my grandfather Conrad b. 1894 and 2 other children. A family member put Henry's b. 1864, the cenus says 1871, his tombstone says 1870. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jamie Hood Wyngarden
per page

Find a board about a specific topic