Search for content in message boards

Finch family of Charlotteville

Finch family of Charlotteville

Posted: 24 Feb 2002 6:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Dec 2004 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: Finch, Clark, Culver, Barrett, Worden, Drake, Rockafeller, Fuller, Edwards
I would like to correspond with anyone researching the Finch family of Charlotteville. Titus Finch came as a UEL to Norfolk county in 1798, where he founded a Baptist Church. His wife's name was Nancy Clark.

Children:

1. Thomas Finch, who married Hannah, daughter of Jabez Culver. 6 children.
2. William Finch, who married Hannah Barrett, daughter of Marks Barrett. 9 children
3. Jeremiah Finch, who married Rebecca Worden.
4. Titus Finch, who married a Drake?
5. Anna Maria Finch, who married Luke Teeple, son of Peter and Lydia Teeple. At least 10 children.
6. George Finch, who married Nancy Rockafeller, at least 1 child.
7. Rebecca Finch, who married Ira Fuller of Albany, New York, 9 children.
8. Prudence Finch, married John Edwards originally of Somerset England, 6 children.

Re: Finch family of Charlotteville

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 1:53AM GMT
I'm researching David W. Finch b. 1816 ON. According to one of the histories that I read, he took over his father's farm (Thomas Finch) in Elgin county ON around 1840. I think that he is the son of Thomas & Hannah Finch. Would appreciate any help that you could provide.

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 9:25AM GMT
Finch, David Wellington (son of Thomas Henry and Hannah (Collver) Finch), born at Charlotteville Twp., Norfolk Co., Upper Canada, born at Charlotteville Twp., Norfolk Co., Upper Canada on 27 Jun 1816, died on 31 Oct 1865 ae 49y 4m 4d. He married on 12 Mar 1838, Rebecca House, born at Westminster Twp., Middlesex Co., Upper Canada on 31 May 1822, died at Westminster Twp., Middlesex Co., Ont. on 26 Aug 1898 ae 76y 2m 26d (VR9134/98). They were buried in Mapleton Cemetery, Mapleton, North Dorchester Twp. Elgin Co.

The main source for this relationship is Commemorative Biographical Record of the County of Lambton, Ontario by J.H. Beers, p. 501-502.

"Thomas Henry Finch, son of the Elder, came from England with his parents,and during most of his life resided in Toronto, where he conducted a general store. His last years were spent at Komoka, where he died at the advanced age of eighty-nine. His wife, three years his junior, lived to the same age.They had a large family of whom only the third daughter is still living. Salinda, the eldest daughter, became the wife of a Mr. Edwards; one daughter married a Mr. Beckwith; Henry, deceased, was a prominent merchant and hotel proprietor at Aylmer, Ont.; Thomas resided at Aylmer, Ont.; William was a farmer at Komoka; Jane, the third daughter, wife of Eliphalet Gustin, lives in London, Ont.; David Wellington; the youngest daughter married Mr. Furguerson, of Strathroy."

Thomas Finch farmed in Lobo Twp., Middlesex Co. No will has been found. David Wellington Finch farmed in North Dorchester Twp., Elgin Co.

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 10:51AM GMT
Robert;
Thank-you for your reply. I assume that this means that the original message was incorrect and that Thomas Finch was not the son of Titus Finch, since Titus came from the U. S. and was U.E.L and the other, according to the Beers history, was from England.

Do you know if the term Elder as used in the book refers to a Thomas Sr. or is a religious term-i.e. an Elder of a church?

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 9:16AM GMT
The Commemorative History is erroneous about the birthplace of Thomas Henry Finch, and he was a partner in the Finch Mill in Charlotteville Twp. until 1825. The story provides an otherwise interesting insight into his life. No information has been found to date on Thomas’ life in Toronto.

"Elder" is a religious term referring to a layman in the Baptist church. Each church had an Elder to keep the congregation together and preach the Gospel until the Pastor’s return visit.

Happy Hunting,

Robert Mutrie

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Finch
I am also searching for David Wellington Finch history.

I have found that he is buried in Mapleton Cemetary in Mapleton ON. His wife Rebecca is also there. Marker shows David Wellington b. Jun 27, 1816 d. Oct 31, 1865 and Rebecca House b. May 31m 1822 d. Aug 26, 1898.

I also know they had a son Thomas Henry 1844-1917 from his certificate of death and certificate of marriage.

Have you found any more on David Wellington?

Thanks,

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 5:52PM GMT
I have a lot of information about David Wellington Finch. You may e-mail me directly.

rmutrie@becon.org

Finch, Thomas Henry (son of David Wellington and Rebecca (House) Finch), born at South Dorchester Twp., Elgin Co., Canada West on 10 Dec 1844, died at North Dorchester Twp., Elgin Co. on 17 Dec 1917 ae 73y (VR20168/17). He married at Lobo Twp. on 25 Dec 1869 (VR1869: 7:143), Anne (Annie) Alway (daughter of George and Isabella (Simons) Alway), born at Komoka, Lobo Twp. on 17 Jul 1849, died at London, Middlesex Co. on 21 May 1933 (VR23252/33). Annie was buried in Dorchester Union Cemetery.

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 2:35AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Edwards
I have information on the Edwards side of the house i.e. two daughters of Titus Finch - Prudence and Selinda - who married Edwards brothers and lived in Lobo Twp.
Please reply directly if interested.
geordey@golden.net

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Finch Lindaberry
Would anyone have record of a Cha(u)ncy Finch and wife Mary. They had a daughter Victoria A Finch b. 1849, who married a Barney Lindaberry. These Finch's were supposed to have been of Townsend.

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 1:29AM GMT
Surnames: Finch
Can anyone tell me more about Titus Finch's descendants Could anyone tell me is he buried. I have a cousin who has done some ancestral work on our family. My dad's name was Philip (born 1919) and his Dad was John, I personally would like to find out more about the in between time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic