Search for content in message boards

McCarthy, Springfield, MA

McCarthy, Springfield, MA

Posted: 7 Mar 2002 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Oct 2002 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Landers, Leahy
Looking for information on Denis McCarthy and his wife Ellen Landers originally from Dingle, Co. Kerry Ireland. Their children: William, Mary, Johanna, Catherine, Briget, Daniel, Margaret, Timothy, Ellen. Timothy (b: abt. 1875) married Catherine Leahy in Springfield, MA in 1902.

Re: McCarthy, Springfield, MA

Posted: 7 Oct 2002 3:45PM GMT
I am Carol Margaret Coffey, born and raised in MA. My grandmother was Margaret Mary McCarthy whose father was Daniel McCarthy (mother Johanna or Hannah) - These three McCarthys are buried in Everett, MA. I believe Hannah may have been a Sullivan. They had at least on other daughter, Mary.
Good luck
cmagicoffey@hotmail.com

Posted: 7 Mar 2006 6:25PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2006 8:57PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Landers
Saw your enquiry. My forebears came from just north of Dingle - Knockavrogeen 1860-1901ish. Prior to that from Glins? Great, Great Grandfather Florence McCarthy, born c1830. 1901 census lived with son Tim and wife Mary, nee Landers.
My Great Grandfather, John left Knockavrogeen in 1879, moving to London, England. My branch lived in U.K. thereafter.
Any links?
Cheers
Terry McCarthy

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 5:20PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy;O'Connor
Hello
Might not be a connection, but I am searching a John J. McCarthy who md. a Mary O'Connor and lived on River St. in Springfield at one time early 1900. They had a son John T. McCarthy born 1899 who was a policemand in West Springfield, Ma. and married a Louise Hayden. I am working on the O'Connor line.
Susan

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 5:42PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Landers, Moriarty
Denis McCarthy and Ellen Landers are my paternal great grandparents. Their daughter Margaret (born 1874 in Monaree, Dingle) married James Moriarty (born 1871 in Gallarus, Dingle) and are my paternal grandparents.

Posted: 22 Apr 2014 6:23PM GMT
Hi Terry. Are you still looking for information ? I have some concerning your McCarthy's from Knockavrogeen East. My Father was born in Knockavrogeen East.

Joe

Posted: 23 Apr 2014 2:19PM GMT
Sorry to be so long a-replying, even though I am retired life is so busy I hardly have time for family history matters at present!
There is a Denis McCarthy and Ellen McCarthy shown on Dingle Chiurch register as sponsors for Daniel McCarthy on 30 March 1860, whose parents are shown as Florence and Ellen McCarthy my paternal Great, Great Grandparents.
Furthermore, in 24/06/1859 there is a McCarthy (no Christian name) baptism, where the parents are shown as ? McCarthy and Ellen Landers, the second sponsor being shown as Ellen (Manning crossed out) McCarthy, my G,G, Grandmother.
My G.G. Grandfather's son Timothy married Mary Landers on 29/01/1884, both shown as living in Knockavrogeen. They apparently remained childless and the house they in which they lived reverted to the Landers family - a neighbour suggested in 2006 the present owner lived in Boston, Massa.
On the Griffiths valuation of 1854 - at Glins a Denis McCarthy is shown as being the lessor of a house on land leased by William, Florence and John McCarthy jointly. I believe Florence was my G. G. Grandfather with William and John being his siblings - possibly with Denis.
It seems quite likely there was a family link through the McCarthys - do you know who Denis' parents were?

Posted: 23 Apr 2014 2:22PM GMT
Dear Joe,
I certainly am! There seems to be at least one link between 'my' McCarthys and the Landers family in Knockavrogeen East and I would like to add to my knowledge of the family in Ireland.

Yours sincerely,

Terry McCarthy

Posted: 9 May 2014 3:23PM GMT
Hi Terry,
Sorry for the late reply . . . and I agree with everything you have. Florence and Ellen Mannnig had a son named Timothy who married Mary Landers. Timothy and Mary lived on the farm in Knockavrogeen East. But they had no children to leave the farm to. So I think they arranged a marriage between Timothy's niece and Mary's newphew ( Bridget Sullivan and Patrick Landers ).
Bridget Sullivan and Patrick Landers then had nine children. The farm was then passed to Andrew Landers who was their son. When Andrew died, the farm was passed to Tim Landers who is Andrew's brother who now lives in the Boston area. My father is brother of Andrew and Tim.

What is your father's name ?
What is his father's name ?
Is your grandfather's brother Timothy's ( the Timothy who married Mary Landers ) ?
Would you know who the parents of Bridget Sullivan would be ?
Her mother must be a McCarthy . . . maybe one of Timothy's sisters ?

Thanks again,
Joe

Posted: 21 May 2014 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Landers
My grandmother, born December 8, 1874 (different birth date in civil register) was Margaret Mary McCarthy, daughter of Denis McCarthy and Ellen Landers. She grew up in the townland of Monaree, Glin, Dingle, Kerry - and came to Springfield MA about 1895. She married James Moriarty from Gallarus, Kilmalkedar, Dingle, Kerry (which family lore tells as her intended in Dingle when he apprenticed as a blacksmith. He came to Springfield MA first. She died in 1959 and I don't know her parents' names. Her siblings in Springfield included Timothy, Nellie (Ellen), Johanna (entered the Sisters of Providence in 1901 in Holyoke, MA and died in 1946 - the year I was born). Other siblings are William, Mary, Catherine, Bridget, Daniel. I have seen the same baptism info with Daniel McCarthy and parents Florence and Ellen McCarthy and this is the closest I've come to thinking Florence and Ellen McCarthy are also my great great grandparents, but I don't have enough information - I wish I knew the parents of Ellen (Landers) McCarthy.' I was able to research siblings of my grandparents with www.churchrecordsie.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic