Search for content in message boards

James Judge family

James Judge family

John Daly (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2005 4:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Judge, Lawler, Daly, Flannigan
On 10 February 1867 my grgrgrandfather, James Judge of Robertstown, Co. Kildare married Anne Lawler of Huerthatch (not sure of that name, it is difficult to read) at St. Patrick's Chapel, Celbridge, Co., Kildare. James, born in 1837, was the son of John Judge and Elizabeth Flannigan. Anne, born in 1844, was the daughter of Tom Lawler and Ellen Daly.

Tom Lawler's occupation is given as "boatman." I assume he worked on barges on the Grand Canal. The Judge family may also have been involved with barges on the canal because James Judge was the captain of a canalboat in 1875 in Brooklyn, New York. He later operated a number of barges in New York Harbour.

James and Anne Judge sailed for New York soon after they were married in 1867, and settled in the Brooklyn, New York, and Northern New Jersey areas. Their children were Ellen (1868), Elizabeth (1872), Annie (1874), James (1877), Thomas (1880), and Kathryn (1883). Anne Judge died in NY in 1904 and James Judge died in NY in 1913.

Any additional information on these families would be greatly appreciated.

John Daly

Re: James Judge family

Posted: 27 Jun 2008 10:09AM GMT
Probably HAZELHATCH.........check with the LDS or Origin websites for details.

Posted: 1 Oct 2010 3:13PM GMT
Do you know if any of your Judge family were in Roscommon or if any immigrated to MA?

I know of a family named Judge who definetly has roots in Roscommon(still there-some of them). I had a friend named Marcella Judge who had she lived would be about 66-67 now. She died Oct 9 2009 in Boston. Had a brother name Peter I think living in MA, and a sister name I don't know living in NH. Marcella had visited her family years ago in Roscommon, and her sister had just returend from a visit, when Marcella died.

I vaguely remember Marcella mentioning family in other area of Ireland as well, thus this message--who knows.

Thank you
Barbara

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: Judge, Daly
This is a question about a Daly-Judge connection. I know this is an old post and mail addresses might have changed. I have been able to trace the Powers side of my family back to Ireland (Kilkenny), but I have not been sucessful with the Daly side of his mother, my grandmother. I know they lived in Brooklyn before 1850 (James Daly and Margaret Murray). In 1860, after James had died, there was another Daly, John and his wife Mary, living with Margaret and her son. One of my daughters visited Holy Cross cemetery two years ago and managed to see a list of those buried in the family plot. Low and behold, there were FOUR Judge children there!Charles Judge July 24, 1871, Thomas Judge April 29, 1872 and Marcella Judge July 2, 1874 and Elizabeth Judge October 24, 1877. There is no gravestone, the slab has probably sunk a long time ago. I have no idea of the Judge connection to the Daly family, but there is an outside chance they were somehow related to the Daly family in Brooklyn. If they were new arivals and knew the Daly´s maybe they were offered the use of the family gravesite. I also checked the 1900 Census, your James and Ann also lived close to them in the 8th Ward (I also grew up on 5th Avenue a few generations later). The Census states that Anne had 10 children, but only 5 were living. These dates might fit. If they are related somehow, it might give me a hint what part of Ireland my Daly´s came from. I wonder if you have made any progress along these lines and connections since you last wrote?
Thanks.
Mike Powers
Stockholm, Sweden
mikepowers9@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic