Holmes family

Posted: 12 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2002 4:25AM GMT

Holmes-Rainey

H. Wayne Rainey (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holmes, Rainey
Buckner Rainey,born 1759 in VA,married Rebecca Holmes on 12 June 1780 in Mecklenburg county,VA. Rebecca born 1762 in Mecklenburg county,died after 1800 in Meck.co. They had 7 known children before Rebecca's death. Buckner remarried and had two more children before his death 26 Dec 1832 in Meck.co.

HOLMES in Mecklenburg. Co. VA

Posted: 26 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2001 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: HOLMES, WILLSON

I am looking for the parents of Isaac HOLMES b 20 Mar 1787 in Mecklenburg Co. VA, who married Henrietta Willson in Lunenberg Co. in 1814, and moved to Dallas Co. AR. There are several Isaac Holmes in Mecklenburg Co. and I have not been able to determine the parent connection. According to marriages recorded in Meck. Co. there is possibility that his parents could be Isaac and Elizabeth Brooking Holmes,
William and Betsey Crowder Holmes, or William and Sarah Warren Holmes.

Can you help me with this problem? I believe my Isaac is descended from Samuel and Ann Holmes originally of Henrico Co., who died in 1766 in Meck. Co. VA.

Rose
RSPe438094@aol.com
rspencer19@hotmail.com

Re: Holmes family

Posted: 24 May 2004 10:04PM GMT
Surnames: HOLMES, CROWDER
I am looking for the parents of William Holmes that married Elizabeth "Betsy" Crowder.

Sue Gill (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2004 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Holmes, Crowder
Can you tell me more about William Holmes and Betsy Crowder? Did they have children? I do not have Betsy in my data, but I have a couple of Williams with no information. With the 1783 marriage date, I wondered if she could have been another wife for William, son of Samuel. This is an example of things we could never figure out. Perhaps you have enough information about them to help answer some questions.

Jackie Welsh (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2004 11:46AM GMT
Surnames: HOLMES, CROWDER, BAKER
I was told by a researcher named Patricia Yaws (I believe that was her lastname) that in 1787 William Holmes and wife Elizabeth Crowder lived at Mountain Creek, Mecklenburg County, VA, and that this William was a Jr. So that would make him a son of William Holmes Sr. But who would be the William Sr. and his wife?
The William Jr. supposively wrote a will in 1798, and was proved 13 July 1801. In this will it lists his wife Elizabeth and five children: Polly (Mary), Sukey (Susan), Edmond, George and Patsey (Martha?).
The daughter Mary "Polly" listed in this will is suppose to be my ancestor Mary "Polly" Holmes that married James Baker 4 Oct. 1809 in Mecklenburg County, VA.
I believe this is the right family, with Elizabeth's lastname being Crowder, because when Mary and James married, it lists a Richard Crowder (which I think he put up the bond for them or was a witness or something), and Elizabeth had a brother named Richard. James and Mary (Holmes) Baker oldest son was named William Holmes Baker, and also had a son named James C. Baker, which the middle name could have been Crowder, also their second son was named Richard Thomas Baker.

Sue Gill (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2004 3:27AM GMT
Surnames: Holmes
Yes, I do recall seeing information about this particular William. Recognized that list of children. However, we were never able to figure out if he fit in with the descendants of Samuel and Ann Holmes.

They had a son named William who died in 1813. He was the son of Samuel, and I assume he would be considered "Sr." Any "Jr" in the court records would not necessarily mean that Jr was the son of Sr. That was simply a method to distinguish between men with the same name. It might be father and son, but it might be a man and his nephew, or two cousins. The older man would simply be Sr.; the younger one Jr. Later on, when Sr. dies, Jr. might step up and become Sr., and another Jr. would appear. I have had that happen with this same family.... with all of the Samuel Holmes men.

I wish I could point you in the right direction, but this was one of the big questions we were never able to answer. If you have any other questions, or things you'd like for me to check, please do so.
Sue

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 3:15AM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2012 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: Holmes, Baker
I am stuck with this same brick wall. My direct ancestor is Edward Holmes b. 1776 Va d. 1833 White County, Tn. He names in his will in White County, TN , his sister Mary Baker. through research, and the purchasers of his state and exrs of the estate. I have established that his sister was in fact Mary Polly Holmes b. 1784 Mecklinburg, m James Baker 24 Oct 1804 in Mecklinburg, but then there first child is born in White County. in 1805 William Holmes Baker b 1805 White County d. 1872. William Holmes Baker was an executor of the estate of Edward Holmes 1776-1833, his father James Baker had passed by this time. Dabner Baker and Green Baker purchase items from his estate. I am at a brick wall as to who the parents of these two were. some people put them with George Holmes descendants from Mass. and others with William Holmes of Mecklinburg and Elizabeth Crowder. what I find is that in my brief study of it tonight, that William states that his son, Edward is deceased at this will when he leaves items to Polley. Edward moved with Polly to White County. I am awaiting White County CD's to see if I can find more. If anyone knows more of who my Edward Holmes is, please let me know. Kind Regards.

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 7:17PM GMT
Edward or Edmond Holmes was brother to Mary "Polly" Holmes Baker, she is my ancestor. They are suppose to be children of William Holmes and Elizabeth "Betsy" Crowder.
William Holmes father is suppose to be a William Holmes, but I don't know his mother's name.
Elizabeth's parents are suppose to be George Crowder and Mary Branch.

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 8:00PM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply. As you probably did, I keep coming across the line of thought that states that he and Mary Polly go with George Holmes and Anna Hill of Fairfax or Farquier, Va. I do know that a Richard Crowder is showing up on the records in White County, also as a juror and in a lot of the minutes from the court proceedings. Thanks, so much. That makes sense> It helps. If you would like to know the descendants of Edward Holmes, his brother, I have researched further down. Thanks so much for the clarification.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions