Search for content in message boards

Mrs. Susie A. Stevens born Georgia 1867

Mrs. Susie A. Stevens born Georgia 1867

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 8:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stevens
Looking for info on my gg grandmother Susie A., married name Stevens. I don't know her maiden name. I know that she was born in Nov. 1867 in Georgia. She had one child named Princeton Richard Stevens born in Louisiana in 1898. I can't find any documents with her husbands first name, but I know that she was widowed when Princeton was still very young. She raised him by herself in Georgia. Census records show that both her parents were also born in Georgia. Any info or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Re: Mrs. Susie A. Stevens born Georgia 1867

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 10:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Since Susie and son Percy are living in the same house in the 1900 census with a Mims family, have you looked for a Stevens-Mims marriage or other connection?

Don't forget to look at listings with the alternate spelling of Stephens.

And don't overlook the possibility the "Wd" was sometimes used to designate divorced or abandoned women, in an era when divorce was rather scandalous. Or even that Stevens might be Susie's own name. I see she is listed as an "authoress" in the census. That would have been somewhat Bohemian in 1900.

Have you found a death record for Susie? I see that Princton died in California. If Susie died there as well, California death records quite often have the surname of both parents, even in the index.

Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic