Search for content in message boards

George SEXTON (Born in Manchester, Vermont 1756)

George SEXTON (Born in Manchester, Vermont 1756)

Posted: 6 Oct 2001 6:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jul 2012 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: Sexton
Need information on George Sexton married to Lois Bostwick
George is the son of George Sexton and Hannah Stout

Re: Need information on George Sexton

Tom Gerber (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2001 2:36AM GMT
Just a suggestion but how about some dates and locations - might help.

Suzane Laniel (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2002 8:39PM GMT
Where George Sexton was living and where he came from. I am from Quebec, Canada. My grand-father William Sexton cam from England, near Liverpool, he has a brother George and a sister. He came in Canada with on of his uncle around 1890. He was 12 years old and was orphans.

Posted: 3 Mar 2002 6:32AM GMT
Hi Judy,
I am decended from Aaron Sexton the brother of George m. Lois Bostwick. In my searches I found DAR and SAR records for decendants of your George:
S.A.R. record
GEORGE SEXTON
Born in Manchester, Vt., Nov. 14, 1756; died there Oct. 13, 1815; Ensign from March 25, 1777, to Sept. 21, 1778, and Liutenant to Aug. 1, 1780, in Col. Seth Warner's Continental Regt. of Vermont; Captain from Aug. 20 to Nov. 25, 1781, in Col. Ebenezer Walbridge's Regt.; in March, 1779, a member of the Board of War----WILLIAM DELEVAN BALDWIN [State: 1077; National: 9877] Yonkers, N. Y.
Manufacturer. Born, Auburn, N.Y., Sept. 5, 1856. Son of Lovewell Hurd Baldwin and Sarah Jane Munson; grandson of Oscar Demetrius Munson and Sarah Latin Bennet; great-grandson of Anson Munson and Czarina S. Sexton; gt2-grandson of George Sexton and Lois Bostwick.

D.A.R record
[p.345] Granddaughter of George Sexton and Lois Bostwick, his wife, m. 1778 George Sexton, (1756-1815), was ensign at Bennington and commanded a company, 1780, under Col. Seth Warner and served to the close of the war. He died in Manchester, Vt.

Some of the siblings that I have found that are suppose to be the children of George and Hannah have been George, Aaron(who married Jane Jameson), Elizabeth(who married Jehiel Johns), William(who married Dorothy Curtis), Samuel (who married Rachel Hogeboom)Samuel and Rachel and two of their children's graves were found in the East Dorsett Cemetary (near Manchester Vermont)by my sister on a visit in the area.
Hope this will give you some leads. My Aaron left Vermont in 1816 the year after his brother George died.
Marjie Saxton Adams

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 11:29AM GMT
I am descended from Aaron as well. Any information on him. I have found some information on him being in the Revolution as well. Wondering if this is the same person. All details seem to match up with you.

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 3:28PM GMT
Elizabeth,
I have a lot of info - here are some notes that I have in my program under Aaron:
Aaron's father and family moved to Manchester in Bennington Co., Vermont before 1776. Aaron served in the Revolutionary war, being part of the time under the command of his brother Captain George Sexton. In the town of Manchester, Bennington County Vermont, there is a monument to the Revolutionary war heros of Manchester, brothers, George, Aaron, Jonathan and William are all listed.

Aaron and Jane Jameson were married on Thanksgiving Day in 1783 (Thanksgiving Day was the first Thursday of December)

Aaron was declared a "Freeman" on September 5, 1786.

History of Bennington County, Vt.
With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers.
Edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich.
Syracuse, N. Y., D. Mason S Co., Publishers, 1889.
Chapter XXI. Page 340-398.

September 5, 1786 -- Joseph Prindle, Richard McIntyre, Eli Freeman, Obediah
Vaughn, Aaron Sexton, Jeremiah French, James Hennessey, Edmund Wood, John
Jones, John Hopkins, Wallace Sutherland, Elijah Burton, Isaac Bull, Ebenezer
Weller, Nicholas Wood, Henry Bulless, Samuel Benedict, Joseph Raymond, Isaac
Tafft, ____ Parker, ____ Squires, Noah Smith, Stephen Smith.

In the 1790 Manchester, Bennington County, Vermont Federal Census:
Aaron Saxton
2 males over 16
2 males under 16
3 females

In the 1800 Manchester, Bennington County, Vermont Federal Census:
Aaron Sexton: 4 2 - 1 - // females: 1 1 - 1 -

In the 1810 Ferrisburg, Addison County, Vermont Federal Census
p. 34
Saxton, Aaron: - 3 1 - 1 // - - - - 1
Saxton James: - 1 2 - - // - - 1 - -
Saxton Jona. : 1 1 2 - 1 // 3 1 1 - 1
Saxton William M.1 - - 1 - // 3 - - 1

1820 Federal Census, Ohio, Cuyahoga County, Ridgeville
Sexton, Arin:
1 male 16 to 26
1 male 45 +
1 female 45 +

History of Lorain County, Ohio, Williams Bros., Philadelphia, Pa., 1879, p. 160.

During the year 1812, a few additions were made to the settlement. George Sexton, with his family of wife and one child, arrived in the spring of that year. He was originally from Bennington county, Vermont, but had resided for a short time in New­burgh, Cuyahoga county. He settled on Center ridge, on lot thirty-nine. The location is now occupied by the saw mill of John Cahoon. He remained there three years, and then sold to Samuel Cahoon, and moved farther west on the same road. Sexton married a daughter of Joseph Cahoon, and the two families emigrated from Vermont together, Cahoon settling in Dover, Cuyahoga county. Mr. Sexton died in Novem­ber, 1829, and his wife in the fall of 1859. Of their seven children, all but two are dead. Cyrus S. lives in Ridgeville, and Amos in Cuyahoga county.

Jonathan A. Sexton, a brother of George, arrived in town in 1812, and married here and settled. His wife was Betsey Shellhouse. He lived on lot thirty-­nine for several years and then moved to Carlisle, and later to Wisconsin, where he died. Soon after, another brother, James Sexton, came into the township with his family, and settled on the lot on which his brother George last lived. He sold out in 1834, and eventually removed to Wisconsin and died there. His widow, who was a daughter of Martin Shellhouse, is now (January, 1879,) living in St. Joseph, Mo., at the age of eighty-seven.

In 1816 Aaron moved his family to Lorain County, Ohio-- following his sons James and George who had already made the move earlier with Martin Schellhous. They settled in Ridgeville where he later died on August 16, 1827. Jane applied for the revolutionary war pension on April 10, 1840 in Carlisle, Ohio at the age of 76.

The History of Buchanan Co., Mo. p. 300:

"Aaron Saxton..., was a farmer in Vermont. He was the son of George and Hannah (Stout) Saxton of Hopewell, New Jersey. Aaron was the grandson of Charles and his first wife, the great-grandson of George and Hannah (Spencer) Sexton of Newton, Long Island, and the great-great-grandson of George and Katherine, who came from Ireland to Massachusetts. Aaron was born about 1760, probably in New Jersey. Sergeant Aaron Saxton served in the Revolutionary War in the year 1780. He married Jane Jameson in1784 in Vermont. To this marriage was born six sons and two daughters. Aaron Saxton died August, 17, 1827 in Ridgeville, Ohio."
"They resided in Manchester, VT. for a while where Aaron was declared a "Freeman" on September 5, 1786, before removing in 1799 to Newburgh, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio. In 1816, they moved to North Ridgeville, Lorain Co., Oh. where most of their children preceded them in 1812. Jonathan A. Sexton was residing there in 1812 on Lot 39 before removing to Carlisle and later Wisconsin where he died. He married a daughter of Martin Shellhouse (Betsey) and left Carlisle in 1834 for Wisconsin. Later, his widow settled into St. Joseph, MO. where she died. William S. Sexton served on the Grand Jury in Elyria in 1824; Platt Saxton lived in Clarksfield, Oh. where he settled in 1816; James J. Sexton settled in town 6, range 16, lot 46 in North Ridgeville on an 80 acre tract of land."

I have a family history written by Bruce Stinton about William Marsh. Aaron's brother Jonathan married William's daughter. There is a picture in the book of the Revolutionary War Monument in Manchester, VT with Aaron, Jonathan and George all inscribed on it.

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 5:11PM GMT
I also have the petition from Jane for Aaron's revolutionary war pension. Another researcher - Alice Lentz sent for the records from the National Archives, and very kindly copied and sent them to me. There are 54 pages!

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 5:47PM GMT
Holy cow... Thanks for the information. Things on my end up with most of what you both wrote.
I see that a Sexton brother married a Shellhouse. Did 2 of them marry Shellhouse sisters. I have Rosetta Shellhouse and James J Saxton in my line from Aaron. If this is to be true, does anyone have information on Rosetta's father Martin Shellhouse. It sounds as if he too was in the Revolution. I am at a dead end with him.
Thanks

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 7:12PM GMT
Here are the notes that I have for Martin Shellhouse, there used to be a website that had Lorancie Shellhouse's memoirs telling about the move from Vermont to Ohio, I don't have it on my computer - would have to dig it out, you may be able to find it by putting in Lorancie's name. (Lorancie was Rosetta's brother.

Martin Shellhouse and family, and his oldest son Martin and his family, came into the township (Ridgeville) in 1813, and located on center ridge. The old gentle­man was in very feeble health at the time of arrival, and died a week afterward. The wife of Martin, Jr. also died shortly after settlement. The rest of the two families, except two daughters who intermarried with the Sextons, removed to Florence, Erie county.

(Source: History of Lorain County, Ohio, Williams Bros., Philadelphia, Pa., 1879, p. 161.)

RIDGEVILLE CENTER Cemetery, Ridgeville Township
Located on the northeast corner of Route #20 and Stoney Ridge Road, near the center of North Ridgeville, it is three miles from Elyria and 25 miles from Cleveland. The first burial was that of Martin Shellhaus, on Nov. 27, 1813. In 1826 Joel Terrell deeded l/2 acre of land to the township trustees for "the consideration of the Public benefit and the accomodation of the Inhabitants as a burying ground.

In 1868 additional grounds were deeded to the trustees by a group of residents and their wives: Joel & Eunice Terrell, Willis & Cerepta Terrell, Edward & Malonia Smith, Philip & Aurila Sawyer. Henry & Arletta Moore, Clayton & Cyrene Terrell, and Alden & Jerusha Beau.
Buried here are many veterans of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, and others.

SCHELLHOUS
Martin Esq., d Nov 27, 1813, 51 or 54y, RW & War of 1812

Jonathan Aiken Sexton and James Jameson Saxton both married Schellhouse girls, Jonathan married Betsey James married Rosetta. (Rosetta's mother was Rosetta Alford)

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 12:46AM GMT
Thank you very much. The information you gave me was wonderful.
One question and I hope I don't sound stupid....but what is meant when you said Aaron became a "Freeman"? Not sure what that term means.
Thanks,
Beth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions