Search for content in message boards

Joseph Lilly, Born Frederick MD, Died 18 Apr, 1855, Lilly, Tazewell Cnty, Illinois

Joseph Lilly, Born Frederick MD, Died 18 Apr, 1855, Lilly, Tazewell Cnty, Illinois

Posted: 7 Dec 2013 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Dec 2013 12:21AM GMT
Help, I think he was "hatched'. Married Mary Fischer (Fisher) in Maryland, moved to Illinois where he opened the Lilly Inn, in Lilly, Tazewell County, where Lincoln used to stay.on his circuit court rounds. Children Henry, Miles, William, Sarah, Joseph, and Mary A (my gggrandmother) Some reports have him the son of the famous Lilly, but dates just don't add up. Any help?

Re: Joseph Lilly, Born Frederick MD, Died 18 Apr, 1855, Lilly, Tazewell Cnty, Illinois

Posted: 11 Mar 2014 2:46AM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2014 2:47AM GMT
Hi:

My name is Edward Lee Lilley Jr. I saw your comment about being hatched; I know how you feel! I am looking to find where my Grandpa Lilley came from and I am beginning to think he was found under a rock in Galveston Texas!! Good luck in your search. Thank you for the laugh; I needed it!

Edward Lilley

Re: Joseph Lilly, Born Frederick MD, Died 18 Apr, 1855, Lilly, Tazewell Cnty, Illinois

Posted: 11 Mar 2014 4:39AM GMT
Thank you for your response. It is the first (and only) I have received! I hope you find your information also.

Posted: 17 Mar 2014 6:29PM GMT
WILLIAM LILLY - son of Joseph and Mary.
William Lilly (deceased), son of Joseph and Mary (Fisher) Lilly, was born in Allegany County, Md., August 12, 1822, and came to Tazewell County in 1835, where he spent the remainder of his life. He obtained his early education in the public
His father was Richard Lilly born In Wales. Mr. Lilly's (William) paternal grandfather, Richard, was born in Wales, while his maternal grandfather, Adam Fisher, was a native of Germany. His parents, Joseph and Mary (Fisher) Lilly, were born in Maryland, the former in Frederick County, and the later in Allegany County. Joseph Lilly, the father, settled on Section 13. Mackinaw Township, Tazewell County, in 1835, was one of the prominent pioneers of the township, at the time of his death being the owner of 260 acres of land, which he had cleared and improved. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and received a land grant for his services. He died in 1852 and his wife in 1849. Adam Fisher, the maternal grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1039

Posted: 17 Mar 2014 11:17PM GMT
I have read this and actually downloaded it to my site, however if one tries to look up Joseph Lilly, there is no records of those facts that I can find. He was definitely the owner of the Lilly Inn where Lincoln used to stay in his rounds of the countryside. But can't find a record of his birth in Maryland.
As for Adam Fisher, father of Mary Lilly who supposedly was in the revolutionary war...has to be mixed up with the Adam Fisher who actually was in that war and never had a daughter named Mary.
Frustrating to say the least.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic