Search for content in message boards

Tavern at 691 Kennedy Boulevard, Bayonne -run by Ward family 1967

Tavern at 691 Kennedy Boulevard, Bayonne -run by Ward family 1967

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ward, Jacob, Cushing
Hi,

I have come across info that members of my Ward family, originally from Donegal, ran a tavern at the above address in 1967. This is referred to in Margaret Ward's (nee Gallagher)obituary in 1967. Margaret was married to Daniel Ward who died in 1937. They had children Eugene, John, Mary (Cushing) and Margaret (Jacob).

I was wondering if anyone can recall this Tavern and also looking for anyone with links to the family.

Kind Regards
A

Re: Tavern at 691 Kennedy Boulevard, Bayonne -run by Ward family 1967

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 4:57PM GMT
I remember the tavern and it turned into a Chinese take out about 8 years ago right after I moved out of Bayonne. I think the name was S&W

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 8:39PM GMT
Many thanks for your reply. Wonder if it was still run by members of the Ward famly until then? S and W may have stood for ______ and Ward, perhaps.

Thanks again
A

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 10:58PM GMT
I posted a question on NJ.com Bayonne baord and they gave me this reply.

John Ward tavern was Skinner and Wards
I played on their Little League Team on Lexington Ave.
http://www.nj.com/forums/bayonne/index.ssf

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 1:01PM GMT
Thats fantastic!

Thank you very much for going to the trouble of doing that!

Kind regards
A

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 9:31PM GMT
Hi, I just came across your post and wonder if my great-aunt might be related to your Ward side of the family. My Aunt Irene's maiden name is Ward - she was born in Ireland and has lived in Bayonne for as long as I can remember. She is married to Ziggy Mackiewicz - they owned Kristianson's Ice Cream Shoppe (spelling?) in Bayonne, not sure the exact timeframe but it was probably back in the 60s. I'll ask her if she had family who ran the tavern in question.

Posted: 24 Nov 2009 1:25AM GMT
Hi,

Many thanks for your post. That would be great if you could check . Even if your great aunt is not related she may remember the family. My Wards were originally from Cloughglass , near Burtonport, in Donegal. I think a lot of people from around the area emigrated to Bayonne.

Thanks again
A

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 11:20PM GMT
Hi, I'm from Donegal and I think the Margaret Gallagher Ward you are talking about is a great great aunt of mine , I'm trying to find out more information about my relatives , If you had any information to help me know for sure she is who i think she is , it would be well apreciated!

Thanks

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 12:10AM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your message. The information I have on Margaret Gallagher:

She was born Nov 10 1889 in Bayonne. Lived in Cloughglass at the time of the 1901 census. Married Daniel Ward, also of Cloughglass in 1911

Margaret's parents: John Gallagher (Neil,Tullyillan)and Mary McGonagle (Andrew). They married on Jan 8 1889 in Bayonne.

Margaret siblings in 1901 Census: Anne, Mary, Neil and Ellen

Does this information match with yours?

Regards
Eire1922

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 2:14PM GMT
Thanks ,yeah I'm looking on a website called Donegal Geneaology Resources and I've gotten the same information as you but I'm going to ask my grandfather because he would have some information.I believe my great grandfather was Margaret's youngest brother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions