Search for content in message boards

Christian Fike I - Original Immigrant from Switzerland

Christian Fike I - Original Immigrant from Switzerland

Don Fike (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2000 3:17PM GMT
My branch of the Fike tree goes back to Christian Fike I who emmigrated from Switzerland in the middle 1700s, and settled in Pennsylvania. I have a hand-drawn family tree that traces back to Christian Fike I that was put together by Ethyl Fike Friend.

I have ordered a book that has the aboce inforation and much, much more. It includes facts, photographs, and names of this Fike branch titled "Christian Fike and Descendents". My brothers have it and highly recommend it - it is about 3" thick and costs $34 (includes shipping)

For more information on this book you may contact: Merilyn Marrow
5215 Casa Grande Road
Temple, PA 19560

If you have specific questions about this branch, I'll answer emails after I receive the book.

Regards.

Don Fike
New Orleans, LA

Fikes

Don Fike (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2000 12:49PM GMT
Don:

I'm excited about finding your message. I also am from that line. My Fikes went through Eglon West Virginia, to central Michigan (Alma Michigan etc.) And settled in Southern Michigan near the Ohio line near Adrian.

I got to Miami Florida but my aunts, uncles and cousins are still in southern Michigan. I'd heard of Christian Fike and hadn't know the Swiss connection. Diid then emigrate from Germany to Switzerland and then to the U.S.? Do you know when their connection with the Church of the Brethren started?

I'll get the book.

David Fike
Miami, FL

Fike History

Don Fike (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2000 4:30PM GMT
David,

Christian I was the original immigrant and came to this country from Switzerland not Germany as many of us had once thought. Using an internet website, I was able to trace Christian I's wife family in Switzerland back about another seven generations.

I have litle information except for a family tree that was put together by Ethel Fike Friend about 20 years ago that traced back to Christian I. This book confirmed whtat Ethel suspected, that Christian I was the original immigrant. My brothers that have bought the book tell me that it contains much interesting information and photographs - it supposedly shows photos of the three homes built by three Fike brothers in Preston County, W.Va. I have seen two of the homes - made of large lime stone blocks -one of which was to be turned into a state museum. Hopefully the book will help make the connection to the Church of the Bretheren.

I'm glad I was able to point you to this book. I knew of it but didn't have any interest until my brothers continued to explain what it contained. I still have not received my copy but am anxious to get it.

Take care, new found relative.

Don Fike

Fike

David Fike (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2000 6:09AM GMT
Don,

Thanks for the response. I have a couple of books of Church of the Brethren history. At the beginning of the 18th century the Swiss (especially in Berne) were devoted to punishing the "Anabaptists". The main approach was killing by bounty-hunters who were allowed to take the land of the victim. Also servitude on galley ships was authorized in 1710.

The first Church of the Brethren emigrants came about 1680. Those few paved the way for others. A group of about 20 came in 1719. They established a comunity called German- town in land offered to them by Wm Penn. Germantown still exists in The Philadelphia area.

Probably we don't know if Christian and Barbara Fike came through Germantown but we do know that in the several decades after that many Fike men became lay preachrers in the Church of the Brethren.Lancaster County seems to be about 75 miles west of Philadelphia.

It good to be connected with you.

David

Fikes

Sandy Beeson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2000 5:03PM GMT
David/Don,

Am interested in obtaining a copy of the book you mentioned.
My mother-in-law was a Fike from Preston County W.VA. She is deceased
and also her known family. Am starting family research. Would like to know
the Website you used to trace family history. I know that my mother-in-law had
two brothers, Orie Fike and Brady Fike. These names sound familiar? Did you come
across these names while researching? Her mothers name was Pearl and her maiden name
was Fraize, also from Preston County, W.VA.
Would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Sandy

Fike

Mary Fike Woolery (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2000 3:20PM GMT
I am interested in any information about the Fike Family. I have been able to trace back to William Fike b. 6-18-1825, in Indiana. Married Sally Shields b 1828. Their son James F. Fike who married a lady with last name of Dunlap. They were parents of my grandfather James Albert Fike who married Elizabeth Roszhart . James Albert was born in Chenoa, Ill. Sure would like to find out more of this family.

Maxwell Plumley

Marc Plumley (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2000 3:38PM GMT
Mary, quite some time ago you posted a message on another message board concerning Maxwell Plumley from Bloomington, Illinois. He married Anna and they were the parents of Louise Plumley. Louise married Valentine Roszhart. My question is, did you ever get any information on Maxwell Plumley? I am also looking for info on him. You may also email me directly at: mplumley@integrityonline7.com
Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give me.

Marc Plumley

Re: Fikes

Rosalie Miller (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2003 5:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Sandy, Did anyone answer your query on Pearl, Orie and
Brady Fike. I have information if you need.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions