Search for content in message boards

Haldimand County Museum and Archives

Haldimand County Museum and Archives

Corey (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2005 3:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Haldimand County Museum and Archives in Cayuga would be a very good place to look up anything on Haldimand County. There is a 7 dollar fee for non members. Our summer hours are 10 - 4:30 Monday - Friday and 12:00 - 4:30 Saturdays. If you have any questions you can e-mail me or the museum at: museum.archives@haldimandcounty.on.ca

Forgotten

Corey (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2005 3:34PM GMT
I realized I should write a bit about what we have. We have extensive family name files, birth/marriage/death records, local histories for areas in haldimand county, cemetary records with names and were they are burried, church records, twon histories, cencus records on microfil, old newspapers like haldimand advocate and grand river sachem and much much more!

Re: Haldimand Co. newspapers

Charles Field (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2005 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Field, Vasbinder, Swartz
What is the time frame for the Haldimand Advocate and the Grand River Sachem and in what town(s) were they published?

Corey (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2005 3:30PM GMT
The Haldimand Advocate dates from 1881 - 1869 (however there was the Haldimand Tribune before it which was the same paper going from 1859 - 66). This paper was for ALL of Haldimand county:

Oneida, Cayuga, Caledonia, Dunnville, Dunn, Seneca, Sims Lock, Walpole, Moulton, Nanticoke, Selkirk, Port Maitland, Decewsville, Taquanyah, Canborough etc....

The Sachem was for Caledonia and sourounding areas like Sims Lock and Oneida. It dates are from 1922 - 1979.

Charles Field (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2005 8:48PM GMT
Thank you. This reinforces my need to visit the area again.

Corey (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2005 12:54PM GMT
You're welcome! If there is any other information you require just let me know!

- Corey

noreen french (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2005 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: FRENCH EFFRICK YOUNG SWAYZE BREMEN
hi i have a question....can you check your newpapers for canborough 1864-1865...for a death of a james french...he is buried in the canborough cemetery.... i believe his son is buried with him....his name is francis french.......i am not sure of the dates but i think they die around 1861-1865.......i also am looking for a marriage record o a james french and mary effrick .... i live in the states and visiting is not an option at this time,,,,,,any suggestiond would be appreciated

Re: Forgotten

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: Jack / Harvey
Hello,

I am researching the Jack and Harvey surnames. Edmund Harvey married Jessie Jack about 1890. Would there be some way to find out if any information regarding these families are at the museum?

Corey (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2005 7:26PM GMT
Ms. French,

Unfortunately we cannot check the papers or marriage records for you. We do however have a research contract where you can contract people at the museum to do research for you. They would be able to look through the papers and marriage lisences.

Please direct all further questions to:
E-mail: museum.archives@haldimandcounty.on.ca
Curator: Jennifer Tigert

Located at:
8 Echo Street
Box 38
Cayuga, Ontario
Canada, N0A 1E0
Phone: 905 772 5880
Fax: 905 772 1725

Re: Forgotten

Corey (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2005 7:51PM GMT
We do have one file on the Jack surname. It does include a reference to a "Jessie Jack" who was born in 1866 in North Cayuga twp. and was the spouse of Edmund Harvey. There is more information on Jessie's extended family. We have one file on the Harvey surname, but it does not include any information on Edmund nor Jessie...

Hope this information helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions