Search for content in message boards

William Marshall and Elizabeth Francis Hall

William Marshall and Elizabeth Francis Hall

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 7:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Marshall, Hall, Vaughn
I'm looking for my ancestors, William Marshall, born 1844 in Carter Co., KY. He married Elizabeth Francis Hall, born about 1847. They are in the 1880 Carter County Census in Pct. #7. Their children are: John (my great-great-grandfather), Mary Alice, James, Annie and Edward.

I'm looking for the parents of William and Francis (Eliza in census).

Thanks!!

Re: William Marshall and Elizabeth Francis Hall

Posted: 20 Jan 2008 12:25AM GMT
GWEN:I took some time this evening to see what I could locate for you.
1850 census Greenup Co KY
412/ MOSES M. MARSALL.. 33 Penn (note this)
Elizabeth 23 Ky
WILLIAM 5 Ky
Thomas 2
Nancy J. 3/12
Note:Living next door is HEZEKIAH FULTZ (1797-12-18-1851)and wife JANE (VIRGINIA JANE) born 1798.
These are the probable parents of ELIZABETH FULTZ MARSHALL,the wife of MOSES

1860 censusGreenup Co Ky
178/175 MOSES MARSHALL 46 Penn (note this)
Elizabeth 33
WILLIAM 13
Thomas 11
Nancy 8
Obadiah 7
James 5
Hiram 2
1870 census Greenup Co/Hunnewell Furnace
87/85 MARSHALL, WILLIAM 24
Eliza 17
John W. 2/12
1880 census Carter CoKY
218 MARSHALL, WM 36
Eliza 33
John 11
Mary A. 6
James 4
Annie 2
Edward
1900 (Note it is this census that WILLAM says his father was born in PENN (MOSES ABOVRE)
242 MARSHALL,WILLIAM Apr 1845 55 33ys KY PA KY
FRANCES wife Jan 1852 48 14 child/10live
George son Dec 1879 20 *George Edward
Elizabeth dau Dec 1881 18
Barbara dau Feb 1886 14
Martha dau Dec 1888 12
David son Feb 1890 10
Benjamin son Feb 1891 9
Elmer gr son Feb 1900 34/12
1910Census Carter Co
WILLIAM MARSHALL age 65 WD
Wilburn,Mattie dau 22 (Mattie also another genealogy name for Martha)
Wilburn, Taylor sn in law 28
Effa gr dau 23

p.s Do you know where William died..Did he die possibly in Fayette Co KY;
Hope this helps BillTucker

Posted: 20 Jan 2008 3:25AM GMT
Thanks so much!! Yes, my research has William's death date as 1 June 1923 in Carter County, Kentucky. I don't have a death date for his wife Elizabeth Francis.

Thanks so much for taking the time to locate them! I have been stuck on this line for some time.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 8:25PM GMT
John Wesley Marshall is my great great grandfather. One of his children was Birtha Marshall (Bertha is our spelling)who married my grandfather Russel Aaron Douglas in Jellico, TN, 29 March 1908. I have his parents as William Marshall and Elizabeth Francis (Eliza). William'parents were Mason Marshall and Mary "Polly" Barnett.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 10:49PM GMT
Hi Mapatuttle, I guess we are cousins of some sort. I am descended from Bertha's sister, Ollie Marshall Douglas. I"m still researching this line, so am interested in your info on Mason Marshall and Mary "Polly" Barnett. I don't have them in my records. Who were Mason Marshall's parents? I'd like to nail this down for sure if possible! Thanks so much for your reply.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 12:30AM GMT
Well Hello cousin. My parents (Essie Douglas and Dewey R. Jones) married in Oneida and came to Oregon in 1940. My mother's sister Dessie also lives here. My parents have past, 2005. I have my grandfsther (Douglas) family bible with details that got me started in this. I'm new to genealogy and since being raised here, know very few of my kin. I have Mason Marshall married to Mary (Polly) Barnett. Mason's parents: Rueben Marshall and Elizabeth Noland. I have more to the line but am still doing the research. Would love to chat. I think I have some newspaper articles my mother collected and I recall your GM'name. Mom also had a scrapbook but haven't spoken to my brother about borrowing and scanning photos etc. Thank you for the reply.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 12:49PM GMT
Sorry to hear your parents have both passed. But how wonderful that you have the family Bible! What a treasure. Thanks for sharing your info. I have different info for John Wesley Marshall's parents, first found thru the census, then found his death certificate that lists his parents as William M. Marshall and Elizabeth Francis Hall. I'd like to nail down which one is correct because I want to be as accurate as possible. If you would like access to my tree, you are welcome to send me a private message with your email, and I'll link you in. Maybe we can figure this mystery out!! I have pictures of John Marshall and his wife, Mary Vaughn, as well as Mary's parents. You are welcome to them if you like. Have a good day, cousin!

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 7:35PM GMT
That is correct. John Wesley Marshall's parents were: William M. Marshall and Elizabeth Francis (sometimes called Eliza or Frankie) Hall. William's parents were: Mason Marshall and Mary Polly Barnett. Elizabeth Francis Hall was born June 1852 and died 7 June 1902. She is referred to as Eliza in the 1880 census. I would love to see photos of John Marshall, Mary Vaughn as well as her parents. Create a great day cousin!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic