Search for content in message boards

Hugh Brown

Hugh Brown

Scott Buie (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
If your Hugh Brown is the one who married Mary Buie and lived in Cumnerland and then Robeson Counties, North Carolina, then I can help. Lots of Brown familiy information including origins in Scotland.

Scott Buie

Hugh Brown

Scott Brown (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brown
My family and I have been trying to find out who the parents of Hugh Brown born 1715 in Argyllshire were, also his siblings if any. We think that his father may have been George Brown, but there are conflicting documents. Both landed in the US near Cape Fear North Carolina, but Hugh was from the highlands originally and George seems to have married an english woman named Lucy Bright. As I said it doesn't seem to add up.

Thanks for any input.

Hugh Brown - Mary Buie Family

Scott Buie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Several have contacted me about the Brown family of Robeson County, North Carolina. I published a book entitled The Family Buie - Scotland to North America with Dr. T R Buie about 1983 which contains a discussion of the Hugh Brown - Mary Buie family. There is a fairly good summary of the descendants to about 1900 in the book based on research by Emma Davis of Goodwater, Alabama. Bradley Buie of Raleigh, North Carolina also directed me to the Neil Brown Collection at the Perkins Library at Duke University in North Carolina. In the collection are letters from Brown relatives dated in the late 1700s and early 1800s to Neil Brown giving family information about the Browns who remained in Scotland and I can give you a summary if you wish. For example, one branch lived in the parish of Kilmeny on the Isle of Islay and I have visited that farmhouse and the nearby old cemetery of Kilmeny in which Browns are buried.

My book states that Hugh Brown was born in Kilmedford in Argyllshire. This is incorrect and I want to rectify it. Hugh Brown and his brother left the village of Clachan Seil on the Isle of Seil for North Carolina. The Brown family lived on the Isle of Seil and worked on the slate quarry there (the flooded ruins of the quarry are still visible). Anciently the Browns were from the nearby island of Luing. They may be found in the older records are McBhrione and spelling variants.

I would be happy to expand on this discussion and will post it to the Argylleshire Query Board. I do feel that this previously unpublished information should be available to Brown researchers and descendants. I am a descendant of Hugh and Mary (Buie) Brown's son William Brown who married Mary Campbell.

Within the Neil Brown collection is a fragment of a letter written from Isle of Jura to Mary Buie which almost certainly connects her homeplace in Scotland as Jura the original home of practically all of the North Carolina Buie families.

Thanks
Scott Buie

Hugh Brown - Mary Buie Family

Scott Brown (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Buie
Thanks for your responses, they have been helpful. Is the book that you reference, still in publication?

Do you know who Hugh's brother was or who their parents were?

I would certainly be interested in reading more of what input you or others have.

Thanks again

BROWN/Scotland/Chatham Co NC

william brown (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, McLaughlin, Drake
It appears my BROWNS came from the Isle of Jura or the Argyll region of Scotland, to Chatham Co, NC about 1760-1770.

Archibald BROWN, wife Agnes DRAKE?? their son Andrew BROWN, Sr supposedly left Scotland together. They settled on Lick Creek in SE Chatham County (now Lee County, and family spread into Moore County also. Andrew SR married Mary McLaughlin. Common first names: Alexander, William, Matthew, Eliza, Mary. These BROWNS said to be friends with McNeils, Ramsays, Brantleys. Many thanks.

Bill Brown/Dallas

Hugh Brown's brothers and sisters

Scott Buie (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
The following information is based on two letters in the Neil Brown collection at the Perkins Library at Duke University. The letters are (1) Neill Brown, Melford (now Kilmedford), Scotland to Neill Brown, Robeson County, North Carolina dated 16 August 1820 (2) Alexander Brown to, Tirvagan, Islay, Scotland to Neill Brown, presumably Robeson County, NC, dated 4 August 1792. These letters, along with other documents, allow contruction of the Brown family tree.

Unknown first name, Brown (wife unknown)

Children:
1. John Brown, a merchant, died before 1820, location unknown
2. Hugh Brown, emigrated to Cumberland County, NC about 1745/6 from Clachan Seil, Isle of Seil, Scotland and later lived in Robeson County. Died October, 1794- Married twice, apparently 2nd to Mary Buie of Jura, Scotland. Children by both wives.
3. Duncan Brown, emigrated with brother Hugh, died about 1761 Cumberland County, NC, wife’s name Ann. Apparently no children.

The above John Brown had the following children (not in known birth order)
1. Neill Brown, born 1740, living in (Kil)melford, Scotland 1820 and probably was a resident of Islay in 1792. Neill had only one son John who drowned before 1820 and three married daughters in 1820.
2. Alexander Brown, living in Islay in 1792 and 1820, children. 1792 letter mentions another Neill Brown in Scotland who is “very old”. Also, Alexander’ brother-in-law living in North Carolina in 1792.
3. Three female Browns – married and living in “low country” in 1792
4. Two female Browns – married and living in the Highlands in 1792

The above presents a great opportunity for further research into this family.
Tirvagin was located in the parish of Kilmeny on Islay and many Browns, including a Hugh Brown, is buried there. Scottish OPRs and civil registrations could be consulted to fill in the gaps.

Would appreciate comments.

Scott Buie

Re: Hugh Brown - Mary Buie Family

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: Brown,Campbell,Brister, Holt, Fanning
Needing info on Hugh and Mary. Would appreciate any info you have. Trying to prove my line through William Brown and Mary campbell. Thanks

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 5:36PM GMT
Need info on Nancy Holt who married Stephen Fanning. Thanks

Posted: 12 Jun 2014 1:45AM GMT
I have traced to hugh is what is the name of your book

Re: Hugh Brown

Posted: 29 Jun 2014 1:03PM GMT
yes that is my family can you help