Search for content in message boards

OBITUARY LOOKUP IN DECATUR, MACON COUNTY, ILLINOIS

OBITUARY LOOKUP IN DECATUR, MACON COUNTY, ILLINOIS

Posted: 15 Oct 2007 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone do obituary lookups? I am hoping to find a Louise Petrowski (Petrowsky,Petroski, Petrofski) who died 10 July 1909 in Decatur. She died at 18 years of age. Her parents were Charles and Augusta Petrowski. Thank you so much!!

Re: OBITUARY LOOKUP IN DECATUR, MACON COUNTY, ILLINOIS

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 12:58AM GMT
I was able to find Louise's obituary, but the last name was spelled differently from any of those you listed. Here it is:

The Daily Review, Decatur, IL, July 10, 1909, page 8

MISS LOUISE PIOTROWSKI

Miss Louise Piotrowski, the 18-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Karl Piotrowski, 1353 East Herkimer street, died this afternoon at her home. Typhoid fever was the cause of her death. She had been ill two weeks.

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 1:36AM GMT
Surnames: Petrowski, Petrowsky, Petrofski, Piotrowski
Thank you so much!! This has confirmed that Louise "Piotrowski" is the daughter I have been looking for regarding her death. It also confirmed that she had not married yet as she is a "Miss". I think the name Petrowski was spelled any which way in the 1900's. This was very kind of you to help me and so quickly!

Posted: 22 Oct 2007 12:05AM GMT
I found a confirmation record for a Martha Petrowsky in 1908 at St. Johns. Her parents were Karl and Augusta Petrowsky. Is she related to Louise Petrowsky? My grandparents lived on Herkimer Street (now Grand Ave) in 1907.

Posted: 22 Oct 2007 3:59PM GMT
I have had such great help from people in Decatur! Yes, Martha is the sister to Louise. Is St. Johns a Catholic Church? Martha was born in 1893 so I guess she would be about 15 in 1908. I think that is when confirmation occurs. The funny thing is, they were German Lutherans as far as I knew. Perhaps the Lutherans do confirmation, too. I do not know.That is so amazing you found this!

I was also pleased to know that Herkimer Street in now Grand Ave. I had wondered if they had moved, but apparently, just the street changed. I have an old photo of the house there.

Also, a wow! to your grandparents living on the same street. What was their last name? I could look on the census and see how close they lived to each other.

Thank you so much for your help!

Posted: 22 Oct 2007 11:59PM GMT
I'm glad it is the same family. St. Johns is a lutheran church of the Missouri Synod. The church was formed in 1891 but the lutheran school was started in 1888. Confirmation is usually at 13 or 14 when the child is in the 8th grade. I would say the children probably all attended the lutheran school. It was located on Orchard st as was the church about 6 to 8 blocks from where they lived on Herkimer. The confirmation record also states that Martha was born and baptized in LaSalle, IL and that her mother's maiden name was Kaschefki? My grandparents moved in 1908 to Mt. Olive and came back to Decatur in 1912. If I can help you any more let me know.

Posted: 23 Oct 2007 3:12PM GMT
This is great information. I am going to try to order a film for St. John's Lutheran church and school. I was not aware they had religious schools.

Also, yes, Martha was born in LaSalle. I am in the process of ordering records for there.

As for the mother, yes, Kaschefski is the name. I was very glad to here it was listed on Martha's confirmation so I can have one more source confirming her maiden name.

Thank you so much! This has opened up a new path of research for me on the Petrowsky family.

Posted: 23 Oct 2007 8:58PM GMT
I should have included this before but you probably already know this also. It looks like Karl and Augusta are buried at our St Johns Lutheran cemetery. Augusta born June 1, 1860 and died June 12, 1925 and Karl J. born June 8, 1858 and died July 29, 1932.

Posted: 24 Oct 2007 3:46PM GMT
Yes, I did have this information. My husband lived in Decatur for 3 months about 1982 and went to see his grandfathers 2nd wife who still lived at the original house at 1353 Grand. She told him about the gravesite, so we have photos of the tombstones. My husband did not remember that it was at St. Johns, so I am so glad you have helped me.

I have contacted St. Johns to request info on records so I can scour for any more information on my husbands family. I know it will take some time to do this,and I don't want to burden you with any more requests. I tried to order films from the local Family History Center, but I guess they are not available-at least not from Salt Lake.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic