Search for content in message boards

Records question - I've exhausted all the "usual" sources

Records question - I've exhausted all the "usual" sources

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 5:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Collins
Hello,
Any Brunswick researchers who can point me in the right direction? I have a family line (Collins) which runs through Brunswick from about 1790 - the 1850s. I live in Richmond so I have pretty easy access to the Library of Virginia and have searched through most if not all of the main sources: will books, deed books, order books, etc. in addition to all the census and BMD info on Ancestry, FamilySearch, etc. I've even had a few long conversations with the archivists at the Library of VA.

Can anyone suggest a source (or a type of record) that I may be overlooking? For example, I found my relative listed in the Processioners' Returns from 1804 - five years before he was supposed to own land in the County! This Collins line lived along the border with Greensville County, so yes, I have done similar searching through the Greensville records as well. Please feel free to send suggestions, hints, anything you can think of. I'm happy to share any info I have if it may help.

Regards,
Craig

Re: Records question - I've exhausted all the "usual" sources

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2012 7:35PM GMT
Have you actually done any research at the Lawrenceville Courthouse? I am sure you may have found some of the same information at the Library of VA that is housed in the Lawrenceville Courthouse. Since the Lawrenceville is the county seat for Brunswick County, I am sure there should be much to find there.

I too, live in Richmond and have great access to the State Library and have done some research of vital records on microfilm there. Since records are so limited on African Americans prior to the end of the Civil War, I am finding it very difficult to find records on my great, great grands so now I want to do some researching at the Courthouse in Lawrenceville regarding two former Brunswick County planter/slave owner families, Blick and Gibbon that had connections to my ancestors (African-Americans). I'm hoping to learn at least some of their names thur searching their owners. I had not planned to go beyond my gg grandparents and so far I have only found 6 of the 16 great grands (on my mother's and father's side).

I was fortunate enough to find 1 living descendants of the white slave owners of my great grandfather, Samuel Gibbons and 3 descendants of the slave owners of one or more of my Blick ancestors and happy to say I have become good friend with all but one of them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic