Search for content in message boards

Cherokee Lowerys

Cherokee Lowerys

Doris (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2004 12:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lowery, Morgan
I am searching for information on the Cherokee Lowerys who married into the Morgan line. Specifically Elizabeth Lowery, was her father John Lowery or George Lowery? Many thanks.

Re: Cherokee Lowerys

Posted: 23 Mar 2004 2:59PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2004 5:01AM GMT
Surnames: Lowery, Houser, Grace, Grimes, Parrett
I am descended from Aeiry Lowery, b. 1820, child of John Lowery of Blackford Co., Indiana. There is history in Ohio, Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania.John was my ggggrandfather.
My grandmother always said she was part Cherokee but I don't know through which line. I've been checking out the Lowery's as a possible Cherokee connection. There are George's and Elizabeth in this family. I don't know any more than that at this time. I'd like to hear from you to see if we have any connection.

Doris (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2004 3:10PM GMT
Surnames: Lowery, Morgan
Hello and thanks for responding. From what I have been able to find Elizabeth Lowery was a daughter of either John or George Lowery. John Lowery was an Cherokee Indian Chief, and his brother George was an assistant Chief. I am not sure of her mother. All of this is new to me, but according to what I found Elizabeth's daughter Margaret (Root) married a Morgan and it is through this Morgan line that I have the Cherokee ancestry but it comes from Elizabeth Lowery. This line also connects to the Sevier line, John Sevier being the first govenor of TN and a hero of The Battle of Kings Mountain. These people lived in Cherokee co., NC and later migrated to Georgia, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

Posted: 25 Mar 2004 12:07AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2004 5:01AM GMT
Thanks for responding to me. However, it looks like our lines are not the same. My Graces came from Maryland, Ohio to indiana and Iowa so if my Graces are Cherokee it is from a different line. Good luck though with your Cherokee hunting. Sounds like you have a better chance than i do of racking this.

Posted: 13 May 2004 9:49PM GMT
Pleased to meet you Doris. My name is Bert Lowery and I descend from a double line of Lowery/Lowrey. Your Elizabeth's surname was Lowrey and her father was George Lowrey, a Scottish trader who settled in with and lived among the Cherokee. He was not a Cherokee chieftan but his son, George Jr., Elizabeth's brother, was an Assistant Principal Chief during the time just before the removal. Elizabeth's first husband was Joseph Sevier, Jr. and their daughter was Mary Margaret Sevier who married Gideon Morgan, Jr.
While your Elizabeth may not have been the daughter of a Cherokee chieftan, her mother, Ooloosta, was the grand-daughter of Oconostotoa, a widely regarded chieftan of the Holly Clan.
I hope this helps you somewhat.

Doris (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2004 2:51PM GMT
Surnames: LOWERY
Hello and thanks so much for responding. You have confirmed for me what I just recently found, but I have a couple of unanswered questions that maybe you can help me with. Who was the mother of Ooloosta and her father also? Was Ooloosta's father a son of Oconostota or was her mother a daughter of Oconostota? How are we related, which Lowerys do you descend from? Please email me at scottishdori@aol.com. Many thanks. Hope to hear from you soon. :)

Posted: 24 May 2004 4:20AM GMT
Edited: 6 Dec 2004 2:24AM GMT
Hi Bert, this is your cousin John in Rome, Ga. I just read this post and was wondering if you've found out if we are cherokee. I'm still searching but just can't get passed Michael Lowery. Anything new?

cindy (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2004 9:21AM GMT
I am relative of Assistant Chief George Lowery, The principle Chief was John Ross (after the "trail of tears") However there is some talk of a Col. John Lowery who was chief in alabama before the trail of tears. I do not think he is a brother to George. As I have George's information only. George had a brother named William who married Elizabeth Lydia Ann Bean in 1856. George had 5 children and the only son was Andrew who was born in 1857. Andrews son Daniel Valentine Lowery married Alpha Marie Munns and they had 8 children one of them being my grandfather Joseph Wayne Lowery who recently passed away. Unfortunatly this is where my trail runs cold.There are still alot of names I need to find. But maybe this can help you in your search.

Posted: 5 Jun 2004 5:55PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2005 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: MATHIS,RUSSELL,CANTRELL,HUDSON,LOWERY,HEADINGTON,FINCHER,PFELPS,PERRY,MOORE,MORGAN,MURPHY and alot more
Cindy, do you have more info. on those Lowerys, John,George,William in Alabama? My grandmother was a Lowery, supposedly born in Bessemer,Jefferson Co. Al. sometime between 1870 - 1885. I`m at a deadend on her. She was in Floyd Co. Ga. in Aug. 1900 when she married my grandfather, Frederick Lester Mathis. Any help here is greatly appreciated, Thanks, Frederica, haybandit@mcleodusa.net

Doris (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2004 4:27PM GMT
Surnames: LOWERY, MORGAN, SEVIER
Hello and thanks for responding. I am descended from the daughter of Assistant Chief George Lowery. Her name was Elizabeth Lowery and she married Joseph Sevier. Joseph Sevier was either a son or grandson of John Sevier the 1st govenor of TN. I guess we are cousins. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions