Search for content in message boards

Walter Dudley

Walter Dudley

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 1:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dudley
Hi,
Walter Dudley was born in Shadwell, London, England in 1830, the son of Samuel and Margaret Dudley. He emigrated to Victoria, Australia in Jan., 1853 on board the NELSON. He probably had a daughter called Alice Marian Dudley born about 1869. On 13th April, 1878 he died at 56, Peel St., Hotham, Victoria. He was a meat salesman. I would like to know more about him, i.e. whom he married, names of other children, anything. I would also like to get in touch with other descendants.
Many thanks,

Re: Walter Dudley

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 2:17AM GMT
Hi,

I found him in 1856:

Name: Walter Dudley
Electoral Year: 1856
State: Victoria
District: South Bourke
Subdistrict: Templestowe
living Upper Hawthorne - a butcher

I found your Tree on Ancestry....I presume you are thinking he wasn't married to Mary Anne LOVE and the daughter Maria Lilla is not his?

Also found this in the papers:

North Melbourne Advertiser Friday 28 April 1876
Walter Dudley v William Cullen, goods, LI Os. Verdict for amount, with 234. Gd. costs.

another court case here:

South Bourke Standard (Vic. : 1861 - 1873) Friday 2 August 1861

I found the article about Alice Marian DUDLEY - the Walter here is referred to as a tradesman rather than a butcher or meat salesman...but then again maybe he was a tradesman for a while due to his bankruptcy

He was in partnership with Alexander Edward BUTLER' butchers and publicans' which was dissolved 1858

he was a slaughterman in 1859 - big court case then

Walter was,sadly, insolvent by 1863- a butcher, formerly of Camberwell

he advertised a shop to let at the Hotham Meat Markets in 1868

a Mrs Walter DUDLEY is advertising rooms in the Brittania Hotel in 1878.....if she is the wife, then here is a son:

Name: Maurice De Lacy Dudley
Father's Name: Walter Dudley
Mother's Name: Marion Obrien Pierse
Birth Place: Emerald Hill, Victoria
Registration Year: 1873
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Number: 2426

and a daughter
Name: Grace Edith Dudley
Mother's Name: Marion Pierse
Birth Place: Hotham, Victoria
Registration Year: 1877
Registration Number: 22952

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) Tuesday 11 September 1877
DUDLEY. -On the 7th inst, at 56 Peel street, Hotham,
Mrs. W Dudley of a daughter

so now I know we are on the right track!

death:
Name: Maurice Delacy Dudley
Death Place: Kew, Victoria
Mother's Name: Matilda Obriew Pierse
Registration Year: 1935
Registration Number: 9818
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874

Maurice was named after his uncle:

Family Notices
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) Friday 18 September 1903 p 1 Family Notices
...P. PIERSE.--On the 17th September, at St. Andrew's street, Brighton, Maurice De Lacey Pierse (late acting chief clerk Mines department, Victoria), dearly beloved husband of Alice Pierse, and only son of the late Wm. Fitzmaurice Pierse, super- intendent Metropolitan Police, London, England, in his ...

if so:

Spouse Name: Marion Pierse
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1867
Registration Number: 3184

Marian's parents:

William Fitzmaurice Pierse 1804 – 1846
Elizabeth Dede 1812 – 1893

she was baptd: London 22 Nov 1839, Spitalfields

her father was the Superintendent of Police, and they lived at Prince Street ( probably more about him in the UK papers, but he died 01 Feb 1846)

The whole family emigrated, including the mother, Elizabeth PIERSE- you can see this Tree on Ancestry- has lots of info
poss an earlier marriage:

Spouse Name: Elizabeth Bedwell
Registration Year: 1854
Registration Number: 3069

You will find 2 PIERSE Wills online:

http://prov.vic.gov.au/search_results?searchid=54&format...

the mother appointed Marian O'Brien DUDLEY as one Executor ( 1893)

1854:
On the 18th inst., by license, at Christ Church, Geelong, by the Rev. J. Potter, Mr. John Whiteman, of Ryrie-street, Geelong, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late William Fitzmaurice Pierse,Esq., of the City of London.

1869 - death
M'LEOD.—On the 16th inst., being the eleventh anniversary of her birthday, at the residence of her uncle, No. 270 Cardigan-street, Carlton, Elizabeth Fitzmaurice, eldest daughter of William Alex. and. Florence J. M'Leod, and granddaughter of the late William Fitzmaurice Pierse, Esq., superintendent of police, London.

HILL—MASTERS. —On the 8th inst., at the Holy

Trinity Church, East Melbourne, by the Rev. W.

G. Hindley, William Jno., second son of the late

William Hill (Walter Hill), of Mayfield, Sussex,
England, to Minnie Annie De Lacy, daughter of J. G. Masters, of McKean-street, North Fitzroy, and granddaughter of the late William Fitzmaurice Pierse, formerly superintendent of police, London. No cards. Home and New Zealand papers please copy.

Not sure what happened here!:

Name: Maria De Lacey Dudley
Spouse Name: Marion Mabel Masters
Registration Year: 1903
Registration Number: 954

Name: Amelia Pierse
Spouse: John George Masters
Marriage: 1866 - Victoria

This article is very interesting and should keep you busy for a while:search for PIERSE

Illustrated Australian News for Home Readers (Melbourne, Thursday 7 November 1872

there is a lot more, but you can find a lot through the newspapers etc

Hope this helps

Jocelyn

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 5:35AM GMT
Hi again

I have just checked out a bit more from your Tree- and I can see what happened now. Mary Anne LOVE also had a son William LOVE b 1845 in Chardstock Dorset

This is his marriage:

Marriages Jun 1871
Love William Chard 5c 741
Denzilow Charlotte Chard 5c 741

By 1881, they had 4 children:
Samuel, Anna, John & Charlotte
living:
County/Island: Dorset
Street Address: Lower Wambrook

William died early 1886, but Charlotte had a son James Love LOVE born early 1888! Found Charlotte, sons Wm & James in 1901 ( still looking for 1891 )

Dau Charlotte is a servant in 1911 over in Hampshire - says born Wambrook Somerset

There is more info, but thought I would send this along

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 8:31AM GMT
Hi Jocelyn,
Thank you so much. Where did you manage to find all of that? I only managed to find the article about Alice Marian Dudley on the National Australian Library website. I am not sure how to go about finding Australian records etc. Is there something like the FreeBMD for Australia? Where and how can one order certificates in Australia?

Walter Dudley and Mary Ann Love had a daughter together born October 1852. They did not marry, and obviously he left for Australia shortly after her birth. This daughter was my great great grandmother. I have her marriage certificate, in which she stated the name of her father. He was from Shadwell, not Camberwell. His elder brother Samuel was a meat salesman in London, and did well for himself, so it makes sense that Walter went into the same line of business. Before he went to Australia, he called himself a 'gentleman'(see 1851 census and daughter's MC). No idea why.

If I understand correctly, his first wife, Elizabeth Bedwell, was the sister of his second? Maybe she had been married before therefore the surname Bedwell?

You are correct, the 1861 census shows Mary Lilla together with a William Love born 1845, and Anna Love, aged about 60. However in the meantime I have done some research and found out that Anna Love was Lilla's grandmother, not her mother. William was her uncle.

Well, I have quite a lot to look into now. Very interesting.

Many thanks indeed.

Regards,
Sue

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 9:41AM GMT
Hi Sue

Elizabeth PIERSE married John WHITEMAN 1854- she died 1874 of Rheumatic fever and Sydncope aged 40. JW was a real mover and shaker

You will have a LOT of fun searching the old papers...here is the link - start by typing in the name in 'the phrase'..then narrow your search by dates - eg 1850 to 1903....you can also use the 'without these words' etc...then click on ' Family Notices at the left..there are other categories which are also interesting but the family ones are the goodies

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

also remember to also search by just initial and last name..eg W DUDLEY...

why not use Ancestry to search ? even if you don't have a sub you can still see the indexes..just put ' Victoria Australia' as location or you will end up with half the USA!

You can order certificates etc here:
http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Famil...=~

Cheers
Jocelyn

I will keep looking tomorrow if I get a chance

Cheers
Jocelyn

I am curious to find Mary Anne LOVE in 1841

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 10:57AM GMT
Surnames: Dudley Pierse Love
Hi Jocelyn,
Thank you for that link. I am sure I will really enjoy reading the old papers.
Mary Ann Love may have been working in Chard for a John Knight and his family in 1841. In 1861 she may have been working in Bridport, Allington, Dorset, but after that I don't know for sure. There was a Mary Love in Islington, London, but the place of birth is wrong.
It is interesting to see (from Elizabeth Pierse's will) that Marion O'Brien Dudley was in Peckham Rye, Camberwell, London in 1893. Lilla (surname now Aplin) and her family were not far from there at the time.
Thanks once again,
Regards,
Sue

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 5:25AM GMT
Hi

I found Grace Edith DUDLEY n 1877 Melbourne, married Charles Cameron Leslie CHERRY in 1898 Strand London - both were actors. They went to NY in 1904- he had been there before in 1899. Charles died 1931 in Sussex and left just over 220 quid to his sister Gladys who had married George O Pringle in 1928 ( no chdn)..probate on Ancestry.com

interesting wedding announcement:

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931) Monday 21 March 1898
One of the most interesting Anglo-colonial news items of a verv dull week is that concern ing the marriage of Miss Grace Dudley to Mr. Charles Cherry, son of Lady Emily Cherry and grandson of the late Countess of Rothes. The marriage was quietly solemnised on Saturday at one of the Strand churches. The bride groom, by the way, is one of the profession and is playing a small part in 'A Bachelor's Romance/' at the Globe Theatre.

It appears Grace and an E DUDLEY sailed to Sydney NSW in 1894 ( possibly)

Name: Grace Dudley
Birth Year: abt 1877
Event Date: 2 Feb 1898
Parish: Bloomsbury, St George
County: Middlesex
Spouse's Name: Charles Cameron Leslie Cherry
Spouse's Age: 21
Spouse's Parish: St Clement Danes
Spouse's County: Middlesex
Event Type: Allegation

Name: Grace E Cherry
Arrival Date: 14 Aug 1904
Birth Year: abt 1880
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: English
Port of departure: Liverpool, England
Port of arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Cedric

Also, I found Grace in 1891 in Brighton Sussex...with Cyrus WADDILOVE and family:

DUDLEY, Sophia F Widow F 38 1853 Chaperon
?
DUDLEY, Grace Single F 21 1870 Melbourne

Municipal Borough: Brighton

Address: 37, Regency Square, Brighton

County: Sussex

Sophia was Sophie Frederikke , b 1853, Copenhagen, who had been married Alfred DUDLEY - they were in Devon in 1881

so there is another twist for you!

and

Name: Grace Edith Cherry
Arrival Date: 1 Nov 1911
Birth Year: abt 1881
Birth Location: Australia
Birth Location Other: melbourne
Ethnicity/Race-
Port of departure: Southampton, England
Ship Name: Kronprinz Wilhelm
she is an 'Artist' travelling on her own to NY- address of nearest relative or friend ? C F ? JOHNSTONE 2a Whitehall Court London

ALSO:

Name: Charles Cherry - Actor
Arrival Date: 18 Nov 1907
Birth Year: abt 1872
Birth Location: England
Birth Location Other: london
Ethnicity/Race-
Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm II
travelled with Felix EDWARDES Actor. Charles gave nearest relative as W ( or MRS) CHERRY , 18 Victoria Court London..said he was single! Felix said he was married

Name: Charles Cherry
Arrival Date: 25 Aug 1911
Birth Year: abt 1872
Birth Location Other: Greenwich
Ethnicity/Race-
Port of departure: London
Ship Name: Minnewaska
Gave nearest relative/friend as Lady Emily ??prob CHERRY 87 Victoria St SW

Arrival Date: 13 Sep 1913
Birth Year: abt 1873
Ethnicity/Race-
Port of departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Celtic
Single, actor, gave address as 87 Victoria Ct, Mrs ???? can't read name!something like Mrs Halingy

In 1909 he gave relative as Grace E CHERRY of Kensington

Arrival Date: 22 May 1931
Birth Year: abt 1873
Ethnicity/Race-
Ship Name: Aquitania
Occ - Actor...said he was single

1881:

CHERRY, James Fredk Clerk Head Married M 40 1841 Civil Service (Off) Burghfield, Berkshire
CHERRY, Emily Louisa F 37 1844 Wife Of Clerk
South?, Devon
CHERRY, Miriam Emily F 8 1873 Scholar London,
CHERRY, Charles Cameron Lexie M 1874 Scholar
Greenwich, Kent
Address: Royal Naval College, Greenwich, Greenwich

Miriam Emily married Herbert Owen TAYLOR ( med Pract. 1901 - one son, Leslie Herbert Owen-Taylor, 2 daughters. Miriam died 1954..living Nottinghamshire 1911.

The mother died 1936 - Probate was granted to Gladys PRINGLE wife of George Octavius Shaw PRINGLE....

Gladys CHERRY b 1881 who married PRINGLE - survived the Titanic disaster!

Name: Miss Gladys Cherry
Born: Saturday 27th August 1881
Last Residence: in London London England
1st Class passenger
First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
Ticket No. 110152 , £86 10s
Cabin No.: B77
Rescued (boat 8)
Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
Died: Tuesday 4th May 1965
Cause of Death: Heart Failure / Disease

marvellous article here with photo and letter:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survivor/gladys...

also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys_Cherry

You can google quite a bit in these families

3 photos of Charles CHERRY on Ebay!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1916-Charles-Cherry-actor-3-photos...

and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Actor-CHARLES-CHERRY-hand-...

also google Grace Dudley actress...there is a bit for her too!

Quite a lot of mentions in the British papers, but don't knwo what happened to Grace in the 1900's

and in the Aust papers..eg:

Miss Grace Dudley, a Melbourne actress, who has been acknowledged to be the most charming Cinderella of the last London pan- tomime season, hue a part in Brandon Thomas's new play in three acts; " No. 22a Curzon-street, Mayfair," at the Garrick Theatre, London.

BTW, the ref to ' formerly of Camberwell' related to Camberwell MELBOURNE- not London :-))
More tomorrow if I get a chance

Jocelyn

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 8:22AM GMT

There is a wonderful Obit for Maurice de Lacy DUDLEY - 1935..don't know if you have had time to check him out properly, but he was also a radio announcer - his wife Mabel was also an actress

Its worth looking up the Will of Kathleen CROKER who died 1914 in Victoria- mentions the Dudley relatives

Kathleen CROKER is mentioned in Elizabeth PIERSE's Will of 1893 as a daughter....

and as result of this re-reading of Wills, I have been able to follow Mabel Marion DUDLEY....who had married Maurice De Lacey DUDLEY

Name: Mabel Marion Dudley
Electoral Year: 1903
State: Victoria
District: Kooyong
Subdistrict: Kew
Living 44 Sterling St, Kew- occ: ARTIST!

Then

Name: Mabel Marion Dudley
Spouse Name: Charles Richard Dyson
Marriage Date: 1937
Marriage Place: New South Wales
Registration Place: Albury, New South Wales
Registration Year: 1937
Registration Number: 22784
Living 20 Queen Street- Charles is a Traveller, Mabel, Home duties
he had been married before...see in Electoral rolls..and born 1870, so ages work!
he died 1953:
1953 16 Apr Burial
Springvale Crematorium, Victoria, Australia

and Mabel died 1951:

SPRINGVALE BOTANICAL CEMETERY
DYSON MABEL MARION THE CREMATED REMAINS HAVE BEEN COLLECTED CREMATED 17/08/1951

Name: Maie Marion Dyson
Death Place: Mount Park, Victoria
Father's Name: John Geo Masters
Mother's Name: Amelia Pierse
Registration Year: 1951
Registration Number: 10939
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876

Then after that I found a Tree on Ancestry!

Birth: 1874 - Australia
Marriage: 30 Mar 1903 - Kew, Victoria, Australia
Death: 1951 - Kew, Victoria, Australia
Parents: John George Masters, Amelia Minnie Pierse
Spouse: Maurice De Lacy Dudley

Kathleen CROKER details:

1841 Dec Birth Whitechapel, London, england

1866 26 Dec Age: 25
Marriage to John James Croker
Auckland, New Zealand
Episcopalian Church Otahuhu

1914 2 Apr Age: 72 Death St Kilda

They had one daughter in NZ who died as an infant:
1867/18137 Croker Mary Kathleen John James

actually the CROKER Tree is interesting as it shows the PIERSE daughters moved about - Kathleen to NZ and another married in Tasmania...Florence Joanna P to MCLEOD - her Will is also online -1911 - good clues there as well

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 8:43AM GMT
Hi Jocelyn,
Thank you so much. It is getting more and more interesting as we go along. You have given me a lot to keep me busy. I am very grateful for your help.
Grace made herself out to be 7 years older on the 1891 census. I wonder if it really was her.
One of Walter Dudley's brother's, Carr Dudley born 1823, emigrated to Australia too, i.e. arrived Feb 1854 on board the Java and seems to have married a Delia Anne, daughter of Captain James Ollard, from Limehouse, London on 13th Nov., 1856.
I did not know that there is a Camberwell in Melbourne too. Thank you for the info.
Best regards,
Sue

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 11:43AM GMT
Hi Sue

yes it is an amazing family - I was astonished to find the DUDLEY's became actors- from butchers to actors! I guess it was the influence of the PIERSE family that brought that change.
Have you ever found out what happened to Marian nee PIERSE and the other daughter Alice? I have hunted high and low to try to find Grace after about 1909 when Charles CHERRY gave her name as his relative in London.

There are a few more avenues I will try tomorrow but I am thinking she met someone else and went off to the Continent!

Interesting that Walter's brother also came out to Oz...I haven't done any work on the early DUDLEY's as it took all day to find what I found today...its hard work when they gallivant about like this :-))

anyway, I hope I have found enough to keep you busy for a long while...but if you find Marian and the girls, do post back as I'd love to know.

Cheers
Jocelyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic