Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Hepburn b.1826

Benjamin Hepburn b.1826

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 10:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Benjamin Hepburn b.1826
Hi. I am trying to find out more about Benjamin Hepburn b.1826 in Prestonkirk Scotland who emigrated to Victoria in Australia to join his half brother Captain John Stuart Hepburn. I have been told that Benjamin married Charlotte Bassano in Australia but i have a marriage certificate for his daughter Agnes Mary Hepburn in 1884 in Scotland where Benjamin is there with his wife Mary Hepburn nee Hepburn. His daughter married her first cousin, another Benjamin Hepburn b.1861 and I am trying to find out if they met in Scotland and if so why was Agnes there or if Agnes travelled to Scotland specifically to marry. I can't find out any information about children of the older Benjamin in Australia or if he was married twice. Any help would be wonderful.

Re: Benjamin Hepburn b.1826

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 1:54PM GMT
Benjamin died in Tasmania in 1888.
His obit states no children.
There are a number of articles about Benjamin on Trove.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/

His (and Charlotte's) will is online at
http://prov.vic.gov.au/research/wills-and-probate

No mention of children. Mentions/names children of his siblings.

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
Name: Benjamin Hepburn
Death Date: 20 Feb 1888
Death Place: Tasmania
Registration Year: 1888
Registration Place: Launceston, Tasmania
Registration number: 87
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Buried Smeaton Victoria.

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: Benjamin Hepburn
Spouse Name: Charlotte Ellen Bassano
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1854
Registration number: 326

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 2:14PM GMT
Hi
Thank you for your reply and for all the new leads. I had heard that he had 2 illegitimate children so perhaps Agnes is one of them in which case her mother could be the Mary on the marriage certificate but I can't find any paperwork for either of them. There is a letter that another researcher owns where a contemporary of Benjamin b.1861 (the bridegroom) says that 'Ben has just married his cousin from Australia and is now wealthy', she brought £500 a year to the marriage. Agnes and Benjamin went on to have 3 children in Scotland before disappearing from the records after 1891 census. I know that he got thrown out of his job in about 1894 and know nothing after that.

This is so confusing but i will now follow up all your leads and see where they take me. I think I need to look at passenger lists from Australia to Scotland around the time of the wedding and take it from there.
Thank you
Alison

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 7:52PM GMT
Alison,
One of the newspaper articles on Trove mentions a trip home.
Jackie

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 9:21PM GMT
Also found this for Charlotte Ellen BASSANO :

Name: Charl Ellen Hepburn
Death Place: Ballarat, Victoria
Father's Name: Bassano Francis
Registration Year: 1893
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration number: 8541
Birth Year: 1811

Name: Charlotte Ellen Bassano
Baptism Date: 2 Aug 1812-Born 06 June 1812
Parish: St Botolph, Bishopsgate
County: London
Borough: City of London
Parent(s): Francis Matthias,
Charlotte
Record Type: Christening
Register Type: Parish Register

Charlotte is buried in Ballarat Cemetery - the newspapers say there is a family vault at Smeaton but I have not found any ref to that for Ben and family ( yet)

http://ballaratcemeteries.com.au/php/results.php

Name: Francis Matthias Bassano ESQ
Probate Date: 3 Jul 1869
Death Date: 7 Jun 1869
Death Place: Surrey, England
Registry: Principal Registry
Effects: under 2000 quid -Probate to son Phillip
of 53 Camden Grove, Peckham

here is a good article on John Stuart H:

http://www.auspostalhistory.com/articles/1988.shtml
the above article goes some way to explain why I couldn't find Ben's burial - he may be on his half-brother's property

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 9:25PM GMT
Thank you again Jackie, following your previous message I looked at the Trove website but wasn't quite sure where to begin, I will try again tomorrow. I also tried to find the wills but failed and left them a message asking for help. I am new to the overseas part of family research and it all looks a bit difficult but I'm sure I will get the hang of it and it makes me very grateful for your help or I wouldn't have got this far.
As with all of these things, I am sure there is a logical answer to this puzzle but I can't work it out yet. I am seeing some cousins next week and want to dazzle them with my research!
Alison

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 9:25PM GMT
Thank you again Jackie, following your previous message I looked at the Trove website but wasn't quite sure where to begin, I will try again tomorrow. I also tried to find the wills but failed and left them a message asking for help. I am new to the overseas part of family research and it all looks a bit difficult but I'm sure I will get the hang of it and it makes me very grateful for your help or I wouldn't have got this far.
As with all of these things, I am sure there is a logical answer to this puzzle but I can't work it out yet. I am seeing some cousins next week and want to dazzle them with my research!
Alison

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 9:29PM GMT
Thank you Jocelyn, that's great. The really weird part is that I lived in the next street in Peckham to the one mentioned in the will for Philip. I now live up in leafy Yorkshire so it was strange seeing Peckham crop up in a search in Australia. Are you researching the Hepburns as well?
Thank you for this it is very helpful
Alison

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 9:54PM GMT
Hi again

To search the newspapers it is much easier to start here:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

just type in his name in the box ' This name'..and all will be revealed.

that should keep you going until I get into work where upon I will try to explain (from my fast computer) how to access the Wills

Cheers

Jocelyn

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 10:17PM GMT
That's lovely, many thanks I will now progress!
Alison
per page

Find a board about a specific topic