Search for content in message boards

Charles Henry Smith

Charles Henry Smith

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 6:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi if anyone can assist me in searching for descendants of Charles Henry Smith (Engineer, probably electrical)and Lilian M. Hubbert. My Great great Uncle Charles emigrated to Sydney in 1912 with his brother but then after he married Lilian, we believe he moved to Melbourne. We don't know which part of Melbourne and unfortunately, we don't know the names of any children he had. Charles was born on 20 April, 1893 in Camberwell,London, UK. He married Lilian in 1932 in Wollongong in New South wales but our searches from England are limited. I believe Lilian had a sister, Rosa M. Hubbert who lived in Australia too.
Thanks Hughie.

Re: Charles Henry Smith

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 1:06AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Hubbert
Hi Hughie

Death records in NSW and Victoria usually name parents so it would be helpful to know the names of Charles parents when searching records.

Each State in Australia have separate BMDs, and birth records for NSW and VIC have 100 year privacy restrictions so cannot search for children after 1911.

And yes, Rosa married in Sydney.
reg #16894/1928 RANDWICK
MILLER Frederick J to HUBBERT Rosa M

Rhonda

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 5:35AM GMT
Hi Highie,

Working from Rhonda's info, this may be Rosa.
1931 Electoral Roll
Frederick John MILLER, 55 Shelley St, St Kilda - secretary
Rosa May MILLER, same address, home duties

1942 Electoral Roll
both at 36 Scott St, St Kilda, Fred still a secretary

Jenny

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 5:36AM GMT
Oops, sorry Hughie!

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 7:34AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2012 7:52AM GMT
Hi Hughie

This thread on the NSW Board recently had lots of details to enable you to obtain death certificates for the brothers. Certificates should name all children.
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.oceania.australia.nsw....

13944/1965
SMITH Charles Henry
Father Henry
Mother Lucretia
Reg. at Wollongong.

This death notice was posted by Kelli – 19 Sep 2012
"SMITH Charles Henry Death notice 02 JAN 1965" states
""...at his residence 5 Wiseman Avenue North Wollongong, beloved husband of Lillian (Cis) SMITH and dear brother and brother-in-law of May and Fred MILLER...""

The above death notice has an error.....should be only brother-in-law of May and Fred Miller.
May was Rosa May nee HUBBERT sister of Lillian Myrtle nee HUBBERT.

Alternately, certificate transcriptions are availble from registered agents such as Joy MURRIN. A google search for NSW Registry of BMDs will give more info.

Rhonda

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 10:02PM GMT
Rhonda,
Thank you for trying to help. Charles Henry Smith's parents were Henry Smith and Lucretia Smith (nee Toomey).
Lucretia may also be Louisa or Louise on some records. Lucretia is a Roman/Latin name for Louisa. My Mum and i will be visiting Australia next year and we are tracing the descendants on behalf of my grandmother, who is nearly 82 years of age and is one of Charles' nieces.
Thanks Hughie.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 10:15PM GMT
Hi Jenny,
Thank you for this information. I wonder which Company Fred was Secretary to. Perhaps that might be a lead to Charles' descendants. Charles Henry Smith's parents were Henry Smith and Lucretia Smith (nee Toomey). We are sure that Charles was an Electrical Engineer, as he had Electrical qualifications. Probably to do with radios etc or possibly to do with electrical work on vehicles, as he worked in a garage on vehicles, before he emigrated to Australia. My Grandmother seems to think he achieved his training and qualifications from Siemens in London, before he emigrated. Hope this helps.
Thanks Hughie.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 10:22PM GMT
Hi Rhonda,
Thank you for reminding me about this message. We didn't think we could order death certificates from the UK, that's why we thought we might not find the descendants. Do we quote the reference 13944 and the year of death as 1965? or is there anything else we should look up?
Thanks again Hughie.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 11:02PM GMT
Hi Rhonda,
I have just tried searching for Charles Henry Smith death 1965, on the Australian death index and cemetery index but in vain. I also tried searching for Lillian Myrtle Smith's death- i don't know that date of death but again, in vain. I'm not sure our UK viewing is the same detailed records which Australians can view, so we may be limited with our search. If you can let me know the reference to order the death certificate, then that will be great.My eyes are quite tired now, so signing off till tomorrow.
Thank you for all your help. Hughie.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 12:42AM GMT
Hi

Can you tell us Charles' brother's name and DOB etc?

You need to look here if you want to purchase a cert:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalReco...

Reg No. Last Name Father's name
13944/1965 SMITH CHARLES HENRY HENRY LUCRETIA WOLLONGONG

Cheers
Jocelyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions