Search for content in message boards

James Henry Frampton Wright

James Henry Frampton Wright

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 12:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright
I have just found that a great uncle James Henry Frampton Wright emigrated to Australia but was accidentally killed in France.. The forces war records say that he was living at 35 Davis Street Elsternwick Victoria with his wife Florence and he is described as an Australian. He was part of the 24th Battalion A f R according to a picture of a memorial board I have which states that Pte. T W Joyce, J H F Wright and J R Telfer were accidentally killed 01.06.1917.
I know he and his family were living in Woolwich London in 1911 (according to the census)and would love to know when he went to Austalia and did his brother Sidney go with him as he also has disappeared from the records here.
Can anyone help?

Re: James Henry Frampton Wright

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 2:15AM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2012 3:32AM GMT
There is a daughter, Nora Jean, born to Jas Hy WRIGHT and Florence Maud WILDER in Elsternwick in 1917 (reg 11591). Fits location-wise - born while Jas was serving (possibly even after his death).

His widow applied for free passage for herself and her 3 children to go to England from Australia in 1919.

Seems they did not go, as by 1923 the 3 children (a son and 2 daughters - Winifred A., James Wm and Nora Jean) are under legal guardianship of their grandmother, Mary Ann Wilder, of Ascot Vale. Sadly, Florence Maud died in 1923 aged only 35, in Ascot Vale (reg 94), daughter of Wm WILDER and Mary Ann BARBER.

Mary Ann WILDER died at the amazing age of 99 in Fitzroy, in 1959 (reg 2275), daughter of Wm BARBER & Elizabeth WRIGHT.

Marriages Mar 1906 (>99%)
------------------------------------------------------------
WILDER Florence Maud Woolwich 1d 1248
Wright James Henry F Woolwich 1d 1248

With Jas at the time of the accident were Pte James Robert Thos TELFER and Lance Cpl Thomas Wm JOYCE. They were all killed when a stokes mortar bomb exploded prematurely and a court of enquiry found them not to be at fault.

It would help to know Jas' parents names...might be able to track down brother Sidney.

I can't find Jas & Florence's arrival but did find her mother, Mrs M A WILDER, aged 64, arriving in Victoria in July 1921.

P.S. Possible marriage of Jas Wm to Evelyn Jessie GALE in Victoria in 1937 (reg 13221). Can't find the girls sorry.
P.P.S. Could James have inherited longevity from his grandmother?
WRIGHT James William
Death notice
18AUG2009 Death [aged] 98
Herald Sun (Melbourne) 21AUG2009 & 20AUG2009

WRIGHT. - James William. 18.04.1911 - 18.08.2009 Loving husband of Evelyn (nee Gale) (dec.) and Dorothy Morrison (dec.). Loved father of Ray, father-in-law of Carol, grandfather of 4, great grandfather of 10.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 8:14PM GMT
Wow. Thanks for that huge amount of information, it's a great help. This all came out of a comment from my aunt, that she thought that she had been told that some of the Wrights had gone to Australia and a picture of a wooden memorial board, and now I have found a great aunt in Tasmania and an uncle in Victoria. This is fascinating but I hope to find some relatives that are alive before I've finished, it's such a shame I didn't do this a few years ago when James was still alive.
Thanks again
Ann

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 4:39PM GMT
James and Sidney are the sons of James Wright and Hannah Bartlett. James was a builder born in South Petherton Somerset in 1851.He had his own business in Plumstead High street according to the 1901 census.
Hope that helps
Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions