Search for content in message boards

James Henry Frampton Wright

James Henry Frampton Wright

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 12:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright
I have just found that a great uncle James Henry Frampton Wright emigrated to Australia but was accidentally killed in France.. The forces war records say that he was living at 35 Davis Street Elsternwick Victoria with his wife Florence and he is described as an Australian. He was part of the 24th Battalion A f R according to a picture of a memorial board I have which states that Pte. T W Joyce, J H F Wright and J R Telfer were accidentally killed 01.06.1917.
I know he and his family were living in Woolwich London in 1911 (according to the census)and would love to know when he went to Austalia and did his brother Sidney go with him as he also has disappeared from the records here.
Can anyone help?

Re: James Henry Frampton Wright

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 2:15AM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2012 3:32AM GMT
There is a daughter, Nora Jean, born to Jas Hy WRIGHT and Florence Maud WILDER in Elsternwick in 1917 (reg 11591). Fits location-wise - born while Jas was serving (possibly even after his death).

His widow applied for free passage for herself and her 3 children to go to England from Australia in 1919.

Seems they did not go, as by 1923 the 3 children (a son and 2 daughters - Winifred A., James Wm and Nora Jean) are under legal guardianship of their grandmother, Mary Ann Wilder, of Ascot Vale. Sadly, Florence Maud died in 1923 aged only 35, in Ascot Vale (reg 94), daughter of Wm WILDER and Mary Ann BARBER.

Mary Ann WILDER died at the amazing age of 99 in Fitzroy, in 1959 (reg 2275), daughter of Wm BARBER & Elizabeth WRIGHT.

Marriages Mar 1906 (>99%)
------------------------------------------------------------
WILDER Florence Maud Woolwich 1d 1248
Wright James Henry F Woolwich 1d 1248

With Jas at the time of the accident were Pte James Robert Thos TELFER and Lance Cpl Thomas Wm JOYCE. They were all killed when a stokes mortar bomb exploded prematurely and a court of enquiry found them not to be at fault.

It would help to know Jas' parents names...might be able to track down brother Sidney.

I can't find Jas & Florence's arrival but did find her mother, Mrs M A WILDER, aged 64, arriving in Victoria in July 1921.

P.S. Possible marriage of Jas Wm to Evelyn Jessie GALE in Victoria in 1937 (reg 13221). Can't find the girls sorry.
P.P.S. Could James have inherited longevity from his grandmother?
WRIGHT James William
Death notice
18AUG2009 Death [aged] 98
Herald Sun (Melbourne) 21AUG2009 & 20AUG2009

WRIGHT. - James William. 18.04.1911 - 18.08.2009 Loving husband of Evelyn (nee Gale) (dec.) and Dorothy Morrison (dec.). Loved father of Ray, father-in-law of Carol, grandfather of 4, great grandfather of 10.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 8:14PM GMT
Wow. Thanks for that huge amount of information, it's a great help. This all came out of a comment from my aunt, that she thought that she had been told that some of the Wrights had gone to Australia and a picture of a wooden memorial board, and now I have found a great aunt in Tasmania and an uncle in Victoria. This is fascinating but I hope to find some relatives that are alive before I've finished, it's such a shame I didn't do this a few years ago when James was still alive.
Thanks again
Ann

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 4:39PM GMT
James and Sidney are the sons of James Wright and Hannah Bartlett. James was a builder born in South Petherton Somerset in 1851.He had his own business in Plumstead High street according to the 1901 census.
Hope that helps
Ann

Posted: 27 Jan 2015 12:11PM GMT
Hi

The three children did stay in Australia.

Winifred A(nne) was my grandmother. Nora my Great Aunt and Jim (James) my Great Uncle. Win (as she liked to be called) was the oldest. Nora the middle, Jim the younger. Unfortunately, all have passed away but there are several grandchildren and great grandchildren and great great grandchildren.

I also have his military records. He was killed in France and is buried in Walloy Ballion cemetery in France. He also has an entry in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. I have been there and put a poppy next to his name. I plan on visiting the cemetery in France in the next couple of years.

Mary Ann Wilder actually lived longer than 98. She lived to 102. We still have her letter from the Queen when she reached 100.

If you see this post, please let me know how much you have found. I've tried and can't find anything in Australia. Now I know why from these posts. I know it's been 2 years since you posted it, but still hoping you will see this.

Helene

Posted: 27 Jan 2015 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Wright Morrill
Dear Helene
James Wright was my great uncle - my g gran was his sister Ellen Elizabeth Wright and it would be great to be able to add his family to the tree. If you look at the Morrill family tree, which is a public tree, you can see I've got back to the early 1800's on his side of the family. I've also put a family picture up there so you can see what he looked like aged about15 I would say.
I havent had time to do a lot lately I've promised myself I will really look into it ptoperly when I retire in a few years.
I have a picture of the original grave marker before he was moved to the Walloy Ballion cemetery
which was passed to me by another member of the family. Ironically he was killed in an accident loading Mills Bombs on a lorry not in the war itself. There was a board of enquiry which ruled it an accident so his wife kept the pension. William had a sister called Emily who went to Tazmania I think in 1910 I think he followed her to Australia, and do you know if his brother Sidney went to Australia as he has disapeared off the map here and I cannot find what happened to him.
James's father was also James Wright, he was a master builder and had his own building buisness in Plumstead London, his mother was Hannah Bartlet and both of them originated in or around Glastonbury in Somerset but I havent got much further back than Charles Wright who was his father and was born in N Pevensy in Somerset and was also a builder. If you give me your e mail I will invite you to my tree.
Best Wishes
Ann

Posted: 13 Feb 2015 10:44AM GMT
HI Ann
Sorry for late reply. Only thought of getting back on here around now.

Ok, I guess that makes your G Gran, my gg aunt? :) My grandmother was Winifred (his oldest daughter). All of his children did come to Aust but didn't go back to England. All lived to late eighties, early nineties.

I know about how he was killed as I have his military records from the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. He is also on the Wall of Honour in the WWI section under the 24th Battalion AIF. I have photos of the plaque. I also placed a poppy against his name when I visited.

The official record states this about his death:

Court of Enquiry held on 7/6/17 finds:-
That this soldier was accidently killed as the result of a premature Stokes Mortar bomb explosion, that he was in the performance of military duty at the time of the accident and was in no way to blame.

He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Not eligible for the British Star as he joined after 1914. I have the Victory Medal. Was passed to me by my grandmother. As to the British War Medal, I don't know what happened to it. I assume one of the other children probably got that. I will have to ask them about it. I do have a photo of him in his uniform but I'm not sure where it is. Going to have to hunt for it.

He also helped build one of the main churches here in Melbourne according to Mum. Getting more info on that.

I'm unable to view that family tree in here. It won't let me unless I pay for it. It's quite expensive here for this site.

My email is helenebw @ bigpond.com (am putting in spaces so spiderbots can't harvest email addresses and send me spam).

Look forward to hearing from you.
Helene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic