Search for content in message boards

Raymond Poe

Raymond Poe

Posted: 27 Sep 2004 6:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Apr 2005 6:26PM GMT
Surnames: Poe, Meacham
I am looking for any information on my grandfather, Raymond Poe. He was born around 1907-1909 in Jackson, Ohio. This is also his place of death. He married Mary Amy Meacham, and had five living children. I believe he had a sister named Elizabeth as well, but I don't have much more information than this. I am looking for the name of his parents and any other information that I can get. It's said that his father's name was changed from Paugh to Poe after coming from West Virginia.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Raymond Poe

Mary Latham (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2004 1:20PM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2005 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: Poe
On the 1910 Jackson CO in Coal Twp. there are 2 families with Poe men as head of households. An Alfred b Va age 35 with his mother Annie age 50 Va and his brothers and sisters. Henry b Ohio age 21 and William age 16 and sister Florence age 11. Also in Coal Twp a coal miner is John age 32 b WVa married 6 years with 2 children. Katherine age 6 and Raymond age 1 5/12.In 1920 there are 4 Poe's in Coal Twp. Anna age 57?, George 33, John 42 and WIlliam age 24. Anna is living with Alfred still single. And John has another child Ruth age 7 and is living with a Catherine Gibson age 95 widowed ,listed as a grandmother.

Re: Raymond Poe- Can someone help me?

Mary Latham (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2004 1:25PM GMT
Opps, I forgot to add that John's wife is named Elizabeth . She is listed as age 23 in 1910 and 33 in 1920 b Ohio with both parents also born in Ohio.

Tammie Poe/Corbett (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2004 12:27AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2005 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: Poe, Gibson
Mary,

You have no idea how much this has helped. You posted:

"[...]Also in Coal Twp a coal miner is John age 32 b WVa married 6 years with 2 children. Katherine age 6 and Raymond age 1 5/12. In 1920 there are 4 Poe's in Coal Twp. [...] John 42. And John has another child Ruth age 7 and is living with a Catherine Gibson age 95 widowed ,listed as a grandmother.''

THIS IS EXACTLY What I was looking for, as Coal Twp. is where it's said that my grandfather grew up, and his sister's name wasn't Elizabeth, as I'd previously thought, as there was a double joining of families, when my grandmother married Raymond, and Katherine married one of my grandmother's brothers.

Do you have any information as to whom John was married to, and if in fact he really DID change his name from PAUGH to Poe? I'm not really sure where to go for information, and you've been the first big help in tracing my grandfather's lineage to this point.

Thank you so much,
Tammie

William Poe (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2004 2:50AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2005 6:26PM GMT
There probably is no connection, but reading these posts reminded me that the only other time I have seen the name "Raymond Poe" was earlier in Caroline County, VA. Here is that informatin in case it leads anywhere....

Caroline County, Virginia Court Records: Probate and other Records from the Court Order and Minute Books 1781-1799

Kimberly Curtis Campbell, Milford, Virginia, Iberian Publishing Company, Athens, Georgia 1999

Raymond Poe

Catherine Poe Howard

December 1799

Raymond Poe (Mordecai Howard and Catherine Howard his wife summoned to give William Fields counter security on her Admin of the estate, she being formerly Catharine Poe)

Admin/Executor: Catherine Howard

Mary Latham (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2004 1:28AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2005 6:24PM GMT
Tammie, I think you may be able to find the last name of Elizabeth on the Ohio Vital Records site through their marriage records.
http://vitalrec.com/oh.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birth
Death
Marriage prior to 1908
prior to 1908
prior to 1949
Some records may be held at the OHS. If not, they may be found at the probate court in the county where the event occurred or at the Ohio Network of American History Research Centers or Latter Day Saint Family History Center

http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/lgr/networkl.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions