Search for content in message boards

Kleinhaus, from Germany to Lee Co, IL

Kleinhaus, from Germany to Lee Co, IL

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 7:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kleinhaus, Stahl, Blank, Nichol
Looking for info on Ludwig Kleinhaus, 2nd wife Dorothea, children Louis, Marie and Martha who left Germany in 1882 and settled near Ashton, IL. 4 more children born in Ashton, IL between 1884 and 1887: August, George, Henry Lewis, and Carl John. If anyone can help, please reply.

Re: Kleinhaus, from Germany to Lee Co, IL

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 2:33AM GMT
Is it the passenger list you are looking for?

Ludwig's year of birth is different than the what I have seen from the obit and from the family trees

The family is indeed with him...

Look forward to your reply

.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.LostQuays.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:14AM GMT
The passenger list would be great, and any dates you have. It is my understanding that Ludwig also had a son Ludwig with his 1st wife, and also the daughters Marie and Martha. The children, father, and step-mother were born in Germany. The other 4 boys, in Ashton, IL. Anything you have would be much appreciated.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:24AM GMT
Quite the family history!

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Ludwig Keunhous

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=ny...

Name: Ludwig Keunhous
Arrival Date: 1 May 1883
Birth Date: abt 1834
Ethnicity/ Nationality: German
Place of Origin: Germany
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Ohio

Source Citation: Year: 1883; Arrival: New York, United States; Microfilm Serial: M237; Microfilm Roll: 464; Line: 22; List Number: 502.

Ludwig Keunhous
1 May 1883
abt 1834
Bremen, Germany
German
Ohio

Dorothea Keunhous
1 May 1883
abt 1856
Bremen, Germany
German
Ohio

Ludwig Keunhous
1 May 1883
abt 1876
Bremen, Germany
German
Ohio

Maria Keunhous
1 May 1883
abt 1880
Bremen, Germany
German
Ohio

Martha Keunhous
1 May 1883
abt 1882

----------------------------

To view the same record, at a different site (free)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16955-54232-11?cc...

First Page of the series…

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16955-54082-33?cc...

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16955-53864-65?cc...

---------------

A possibility…

1900 Census record

Does anyone know which month Marie was born ?…

-------------------------------------------

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:43AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 8:07AM GMT
Marie was born in 1880. She and Martha were left at a facility in Lee County, IL between 1890 and 1897 by their step-mother after Ludwig became ill. He died in 1897. I have searched everywhere for where those 2 girls went. Her granddaughter says she thinks they were finally taken in by a Doctor and his family, somewhere in the Lee County area - my best guess is Dr Chandler at the Chandler Hospital in Compton, or the doctor he replaced. The 1900 Census would indicate at least Marie went on to Rochelle in Ogle County, where the Lincoln Hospital was just getting started on Woolf Court. Nachusa orphanage wasn't an "Official" orphanage until 1904, and Marie was married to Robert Nichol, and living in Woodstock, IL by then. Would really like to know who those girls lived with for those years. I see by the passenger list the spelling of the name may have been why I couldn't find that part. Supposedly they had cousins here with the last name Stahl (Harry, Henry...) Those poor kids as well as Ludwig's last 4 ended up in a Poorhouse in Muscatine, IA until about 1916, when Henry Kleinhaus and Harry Stahl married girls who were also living in Muscatine, IA. Those brothers re-united in Chicago by 1930. Their brother, August, stayed in Lee Co., IL, then moved to Ogle County, and finally Rockford, IL. Thanks so much. I didn't have access to the passenger list on Ancestry.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:58AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 6:09AM GMT
I do find a Marie in Ogle County... wasn't Martha in the same county as well at one point... ?

If someone can confirm the month of birth (MAY ?? ) for Marie.. then the 1900 census record may be of some interest...

Here is the census record which you can view for free... just a possibility though... cannot confirm that it is your Marie.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MS4Y-QB4

-------------

On Ancestry...

1900 United States Federal Census about Marie Klinehaus

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=...
Name: Marie Klinehaus
[Marie Klinehaur]
Birth Date: May 1880
Birthplace: Germany
Home in 1900: Flagg, Ogle, Illinois
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Servant
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Birthplace: Germany

Household Members:
Name Age
Otto Schmidt 27
Amelia Schmidt 24
Marie Klinehaus 20
Frank Beebe 46

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Flagg, Ogle, Illinois; Roll: 332; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 0077; FHL microfilm: 1240332.
--------

That must have been quite the reunion in 1930!!!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 6:25AM GMT
OMG! I have been searching day and night for over 2 months for this. Thank you. The Doctor Chandler mentioned had a Hospital in sort of a huge house in Compton, then went to Rochelle and opened one there. Marie worked as a servant - her sister Martha must have stayed with the Chandler family. I THINK she married Carl Anderson and lived in Downer's Grove, IL. Marie married Robert Nichol about 1904, and their first child was born in 1905 in Woodstock, IL She is buried in Woodstock, McHenry Co, IL in Oakland Cemetery (died in 1954). I can't believe she was working for a Schmidt family - her younges daughter married Donald Schmitt in Woodstock and it is their daughter who I am searching all of this for. I am from Rochelle, Il myself, and lived next to the Schmidt's in Woodstock. You have really made my day. Marie's daughter is 96 and living in a nursing home - she has been trying to remember where she and Martha were sent when their father became ill - and thanks to you, I can help her.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions