Search for content in message boards

HIGGINS

Posted: 18 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: HIGGINS
My HIGGINS Gpa and GGpa were born in the parish of Kiltullagh, Roscommon at the border of Templetogher/Williamstown, Galway. GGpa's younger brother Bernard/Brian married in Kiltullagh but went to live at Pollanoon in Williamstown, Galway. There were other HIGGINS people living in this parish who were likely related to GGGpa Martin HIGGINS or his wife Bridget HIGGINS
who were probably married about 1835.
Two of my Gpa's siblings were christened in Williamstown parish as well.
A Catherine HIGGINS [ likely the sister of one of my GGGparents ] married a Michael Connelly of Templetogher parish in Kiltullagh parish in 1845 and they lived at the same townland Cloonfineen, Kiltullagh and had my GGpa and his wife as godparents for one of their children.
Would like to hear from anyone with HIGGINS people from the parish of Templetogher / Williamstown.

Higgins

Sandra Ware (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Higgins
I am not sure if my Higgins line is from the towns you mentioned... the only town I have noted for a Higgins on my line is for Riverstown, Co. Sligo. My GGgrandmother, Nora Higgins, was born there in 1853 then relocated to Shrule, Co. Galway once getting married. Her parents were James Higgins and Catherine Grey (we believe - not sure about that). Let me know if any of this is familiar... Thanks!
Sandra Ware
Posted: 4 Aug 2005 11:12PM GMT
My updated e-mail address for this message is
mikebx38@yahoo.com

Re: HIGGINS

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:30PM GMT
Surnames: Higgins, Fleming
This post was deleted by the author on 10 Jul 2014 10:51AM GMT
Posted: 12 Feb 2013 11:50PM GMT
Greetings ! My Great Grandfather was Michael Higgins, brother of Bernard, married to Bridget Cruise. Their father lived at Cloonfineen, Roscommon and his sons included Patrick before 1839, Michael born 1840, Bernard and Thomas born 1847. Patrick married Margaret Connolly and lived at Cloonacalgy, Michael lived at Culkeen and Thomas at the original home at Cloonfineen and as you stated, Bernard at Pollynoon.
I see only one reference to Martin as father in the parish record of Kiltullagh and his wife is listed as Bridget Higgins which might explain why Bernard chose to remain in Galway as there were other Higgins families there beside the ones in Kiltullagh.
I have a record of a Catherine Higgins who married a Michael Connally [from the parish of Templetogher ] in 1846 and they lived at Cloonfineen as did Martin Higgins [born 1816 and died 1880 ]. Catherine could have been a sibling of either Martin or Bridget.
In my records I list the siblings of your great grandmother Nannie as Martin married to Mary Tully
Kathleen Higgins married to Frank Seamas [California]
Margaret Higgins
Michael James
William Higgins married to Amelia Cuttle
I wasn't aware of John
Maria
Bridget
Norah
Bernard
It is of course wonderful to find another cousin. I started my family research about 20 years ago and I do have messages out in cyberspace dating back to those days, some with email addresses long since become obsolete. That is why every so often I repost in a new place with hopes a relative will see the message and reply.
Looking forward to sharing info about our family tree
cousin Michael Duffy in NY, son of Eileen Higgins, grandson of Michael Higgins, great grandson of Michael Higgins and great great grandson of Martin Higgins.

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 3:51PM GMT
Hi,My great grandfather is shown as Bernard Higgins age 46 from Donegal married to Mary Jane Tully aged 46 from Scotland in the 1901 Census Dublin,there are 9 children shown.As you will know the census can be inaccurate as regards christian names and ages.Like yourself I have been researching a long time and have yet to find a birth or marriage certificate.I see you have a Martin Higgins married to a Mary Tully and wondered if you had any other christian names for Martin or anything that might connect the two.Look forward to hearing from you
Terry

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 4:20PM GMT
Hi,In the 1901 census Dublin,My grandfather is shown as Bernard Higgins age 46 from donegal married to Mary Jane Tully aged 46 from Scotland.I have so far been unable to get any further details and as you will know the census can be unreliable when it comes to ages and Christian names.They are also shown here as having 9 siblings.I am interested to see that you show a Martin Higgins married to Mary Tully,do you have any other christian name for Martin.I would be obliged of any info you can give me.Looking forward to hearing from you my email address is terry_fosse@hotamil.com
Terry

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 8:05PM GMT
Surnames: Higgins, Tully, Fleming
This post was deleted by the author on 10 Jul 2014 10:52AM GMT

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 4:06PM GMT
Dear Mary,
Many thanks for your email and its a shame that it does't match,but it was worth a go and so I guess I will have to keep trying.I wish you good luck with your research,take care and once again thank you for for your message
Terry

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 11:10AM GMT
Hi. I dont know if I am much good to you but I am the great grand daughter of Martin Higgins Pollynoone Williamstown.My Grandfather was Bernard Brian Higgins son of Martin and we live in Williamstown Co Galway.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic