Search for content in message boards

Joseph Henry Wright

Joseph Henry Wright

Posted: 31 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Sep 2011 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Looking for info on Joseph Henry Wright. Born 1842 Nauvoo, IL, son of Robert Wright and Ann Hagerty. Married Barbara McKenzie Bailey in Salt Lake City in 1860. Died 1923. JHW was a bishop known to be in Koosharem area, Sevier Co., 1870s & 1880s. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Joseph Henry Wright

Posted: 13 Aug 2002 2:08PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2003 2:12PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Wright
I am related to the wife of Joseph Henry Wright. I may have some data of interest on Bailey line. Contact by e-mail only

leebe@pcu.net

Re: Joseph Henry Wright

Posted: 11 Jan 2014 5:37PM GMT
In 2000, you posted on this message board that you were looking for information about Joseph Henry Wright, born 1842 at Nauvoo, Ill. Did you learn more about him?

My great great grandfather is John R. Young, born 1837 at Kirtland, Oh. He was a good friend of Joseph H. I’m now trying to learn more about their relationship.

Here’s what I know:

In 1860, Joseph H and Barbara were living in Payson, Utah, with John R and his wife Albina.

In the fall of 1889, they were neighbors living on Pleasant Creek, near or in what is now Capitol Reef National Park, about 15 miles south and a little east of present day Torrey, Utah. By this time, both were polygamists. They decided to go to Mexico to get away from US Marshals wanting to arrest them. In his book, “Memoirs of John R Young, Utah Pioneer, 1847", John R always refers to Joseph as bishop.

In November, 1889, they headed out, planning to go to Hanksville, Utah, then south to Hall’s Crossing, now Bullfrog, on the Colorado River, then on across to the four corners area and then south to Mexico.

Before reaching Hanksville, John R’s wife Tamar fell out of the wagon and was seriously injured. She was also about 7 or 8 months pregnant. They rested a few days in Hanksville attending to Tamar. Then the Marshals showed up. John R & Joseph slipped away and headed north to Huntington, Utah, where John R had some property and family. The baby came early and died after a couple of weeks.

In chapter 29 of his book, John R tells of leaving Huntington and heading for Mexico again. This was in March of 1890. Bishop Wright was with him still.

Family records tell us that John R ended up in Mancos, Colorado, spent the summer there, and in October, 1890, went on to Mexico. It doesn’t appear that Joseph H. was in the group that went to Mexico from Mancos. I don’t know if he never got to Mancos, or if he stayed in Mancos.

The US census enumerated Joseph H in 1860 and 1870 as living in Payson, Utah. In 1880 he is in Greenwich, Utah, then in 1920, he is in Richfield, Utah.

Since he was on the move in 1890, it makes sense that he missed the enumerators. If he got to Mexico, he wouldn’t have been listed in 1900 or 1910. The Mormon’s evacuated their homes in Mexico in 1912 because of the Revolution. Many of them returned to the states. Could be why he shows up again in the 1920 census.

Anyway, if you have learned more about him, I hope you can share it with me.

Thanks,

Keith Goodspeed

Roosevelt, Utah

435 722 9900

rainman@ubtanet.com

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions