Search for content in message boards

Carlos Duffy Co Leitrim Co Roscommon

Carlos Duffy Co Leitrim Co Roscommon

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duffy Carlos Walker Wynne Burns Byrne
My grandfather's full name is Michael Thomas Carlos Duffy. We always thought that there was a Spanish connection because of this and also because the family has dark hair and skin which easily tans (i.e., not white with freckles). Having read some posts, it seems that there's a Rscommon Carlos/Duffy connection and I'd love to hear from anyone who has this thread in their family tree.

My GG Grandad was Michael Duffy from Drumshanbo in Co Roscommon (born 1831, died 1891) and my GG Granny was Annie Wynn from Drumkeeran in Co Leitrim (born 1844). They married 1863 in Roscommon. They had Mary (b1864), John (b1866), Hugh, my G Grandad (b 1868), Lizzie (b1876), Bridget (b1878) and Thomas (b1879). They came across to Scotland sometime between Bridget and Thomas' births and settled in Falkirk. My GGGGrandad was also Michael Duffy and he married Anne Burn (Byrne?)- they were also from Co Roscommon.

My G Grandad Hugh then married my G Granny Barbara Walker and one of their children was my Grandad Michael Thomas Carlos Duffy.

As another matter of interest, it's thought that one of my G Grandad's sisters emigrated to the US - that would be Bridget Duffy, Lizzie Duffy or Mary Duffy (all of these women would have been born in Co Roscommon or Co Leitrim). Thought in the family was that it was Lizzie (Elizabeth) Duffy who emigrated - she was born in 1876 so likely left Glasgow or Liverpool in the 1890's - believe she landed in New York. Have found an Elizabeth Duffy b 1876 living in New York in the 1901 census (notes that she's been resident for 4 years)but not sure if it's 'my' Lizzie.

I know it's not much of a summary but am interested to see if it rings any bells with anyone out there. I'd love to find some connections.

Re: Carlos Duffy Co Leitrim Co Roscommon

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 7:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: carlos duffy dufficy
I've been doing Carlos Duffy from County Roscommon, Ireland, research off and on for ten years. Have been in contact with several other Carlos researchers but several have dropped out. In 2005-2006, I viewed many a census image, transcribing contents into my Carlos-from-Ireland database. I published what I had amassed in Rootsweb WorldConnect at:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...
James Carlos and Mary Duffy, my 2nd great-grandparents

I started a Facebook Carlos-from-Ireland account:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=271110713252&ref=t...

so we all can swap info and get past brick walls.

Laura Carlos
per page

Find a board about a specific topic