Search for content in message boards

St. Farnan??

St. Farnan??

Posted: 4 Jul 2001 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Farnan
I was doing a general search and found a website for a school in Prosperous, County Kildare, Ireland. The name of the school is St. Farnan's. I have done several Catholic Saint searches, and can find no St. Farnan. This is the first I've ever heard of it. Here's the website:

www.iol.ie/~stfarnan?
I find this very intriguing. Does anyone have any further information on a possible St. Farnan?

Re: St. Farnan??

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 2:07AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2002 2:09AM GMT
Yes, have researched this. Leader, Kildare, 1871 reference the burial site of a priest who succumbed to the demon drink - thats what it said. However, there are several early Bishops St. Farannain, the early Irish spelling. I'll look up all my notes - send your email address. I'm pleased that you've asked the question. Maureyn

Chris Farnan (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2001 6:38PM GMT
I found a few other things out yhat you may want to use your sources to further investigate. From a Catholic directory of saints I found this information:
St. Farannan died- 590? feastday Feb.15
Abbot and Irish disciple of St. Columbia on Iona,
Scotland. He returned to Ireland to become a hermit at
AllFarannan, now Alternan, Sligo.
-also this:
St. Farannan - Patron of All-Farannan, now known as
Alternan, County Sligo. Son of Aedh, scion of King Niall.
Went to Iona with St. Comcille to become a monk, was
present at Dromceat convention about the year 580.
Feast day, Feb 15.

Even though the spelling is slightly different, I believe this is
the same as the St. Farnan I've heard about because the
Church in county Kildare says the feast day of St. Farnan
is Feb. 15.

Have I stumbled upon the origination of the Farnan surname? Maybe, if further research points to it. Thanks for your interest

Posted: 24 Jul 2001 3:14AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2002 2:09AM GMT
Lost my line the other day midway with a message so dont know if it got through. You're on the right track but its more complex - email following but please keep searching - I wish more Farnans were as curious. Maureyn

Posted: 31 Jan 2002 3:18AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2002 2:19PM GMT
Do a Google or Copernic search for Farannan. This should be the about St Farnan's academy refers to as St. Farnan.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saints/farannan.html

Posted: 31 Jan 2003 1:37AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2003 10:15PM GMT
I haven't checked this web site in a long time!
My great-grandmother was born in County Sligo and was related to Farnan's and then married a Farnan.

I did the same research that you did and came up with the abbot also.

In addition - there is a Norse (Viking) name associated with Farnan - but I can't spell it because the pronounciation/spelling is Celtic related.

Farnan Golden (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2004 9:01PM GMT
Hi There
I am called after St Farnan and theres a St Farnan's shrine in Dromore West Co Sligo where I come from.
He was around the time of St Columcille and he is meant to be buried there.Theres also a healing well

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 10:37PM GMT

Re: St. Farnan. I found a little bit of information on a site: old irish saints.
Two years ago I visited St. Farnan's Shrine 30 km south of Sligo at Dunalton/West Dromore before you get to Aughris. The church at Templeboith has been replaced with a smaller new church a few km south ornamented with a stained glass window of St. Farnan. Nearby on the ocean's edge atop a beautiful spring is the Wood, The Grave, The Bed, and The Altar of St. Farnan. Dating to the 7th century it was the hermitage of St. Farnan after his return with Boith from returning "Columba" from Landisfarne to Fore Abbey. There is a web site describing the Ritual of visiting St. Farnan's shrine-it seems to be down right now. Many men in the parish have the first name Farnan. In sligo county St. FArnan's is best known for St. Farnan's Womens Gaelic Football Club. I am Richard Farnan descended from Matthew, son of Christopher who emigrated from Castlepollard with wife and children, arrived 1849 in New Jersey. Several family members stayed in NJ/NY area. Christopher and family passed through Indiana where my great grandfather John Alphonso Farnan was born, on their way to Missouri. Established in Conception Junction Mo by 1852. My father Joseph was the son of Walter Leo.

Posted: 22 Apr 2010 5:43AM GMT
Hey there Richard!
From your description, I believe we may be 3rd cousins once removed. You see, John Alphonso Farnan is my great-great grandfather and your grandfather, Walter, I believe is who my dad referred to as "Uncle Watt". His brother Christopher F. Farnan, "Kee", as most people called him, was my great-grandfather. He was also the man I was named after. I hope you get this. I am sure we have something to talk about. I am especially interested in your visit to Ireland, as I am planning a "pilgrimage" myself, and would love to get some notes from you.
Thanks
Christopher L. Farnan

Re: St. Farnan?? Farnans in Meath

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 11:00AM GMT
Hiya, I am a Farnan.
My Grandfather was Tom Farnan from Meath he had a brother called Francis (Frank) I think but the family history is a bit mudlled. Most of the Family moved to London but some remained in Meath. After reading the Alphonso connection it rang a bell as one of my Great Uncles? was called 'Fonzie' Farnan and I wondered whether it came from the Alphonso link. If anyone knows anything about the Farnans in Meath please send me some info. Thanks, Nadine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions